12/20ga slug guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gun likes the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold slugs the best. I haven't experimented too much with the Remington slugs, since I had already settled on the Partition Golds before the Core-lokts became available. I shoot a Mossberg 500 Trophy Slugster (interchangeble barrel and stock/cheek comb) and can usually get 2.5" at 100 yards with the two-and-three-quarter inch Partition load.

PlatinumTips, CopperSolids, Federal Expanders, Hornady H2Ks, BRIs, Brennekes, and Lightfields were all over (6" to 12") and my wallet was quite empty when I tested them all out in 2002. I've only shot one box of the Remington slugs and don't feel like I really know whether they would shoot better or not.

I've killed three deer with the Partition, and one with the BRI. All were passthroughs, except for a Partition that went in the deer's head and traveled the length of the spine all the way down to the right shoulder. I felt like penetration was adequate. :lol:

Tar Hunt and Savage ML

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

My bad on this posting. I am not too handy with this and my daughter helped but I still messed up. The top photo is a Savage smokeless muzzleloader ML11 with a Richard's microfit stock, the other stock is the factory take off but I added the Savage stainless thru bolts.
The second photo (bottom) is the TarHunt 12 gauge slug shotgun. I stocked it later with a Richard's thumbhole stock, with a Decelerator recoil pad, pillar bedded and had the Jewel trigger option. The scope is a Leupold 2.5x8 VariX111 with Conetrol rings. The guns are built by Randy Fritz on Rem 700 rifle actions and he barrels them with Shaw barrels. They are quite accurate. He can shoot 1 moa at 100 yards. I have done 1 1/2 moa on the few occasions I had a chance to shoot it. I took a decent buck with it at 137 yards this fall. The stocks look better in person.
I am currently working on a similarly figured stock on my .375 H&H Improved and a Weatherby Vanguard. They are months away with my schedule from being finished.

I almost forgot the best part. I won the TarHunt.

T/C Encore 20 gauge

I have been shooting a 20ga Encore slug gun for 3 years now. My Encore prefers the Federal Barnes (1500fps) but I use the 19000fps load.

My Encore barrel did not like the Winchester loads in any flavor at 100yards. The Remington Core-loc ultra 20 gauge slugs shoot about
2 1/2 inches at 100yards. The core-loc ultra slug even in the 20 gauge
absolutely will put a deer on the ground....fast. Bang-flop

I have killed deer with the Winchester platinum tip and gold, Remington
Core-loc ultra, and Federal Barnes in 20 gauge. I FEEL NO NEED FOR A 12 GAUGE WITH THE QUALITY OF 20 GAUGE SLUGS OFFERED.

I don't walk up and say I want to shoot 12 gauge slugs today. Slug shooting is a necessity for us who have to hunt with them do to geographic locations.

A T/C Encore in 20 gauge weighs about 6 1/4 pounds.. thank GOD for Simms pads.

I am eager to try the new Hornady 20 gauge SST slugs. If they shoot well
in my Encore I will buy 1/2 case and consider the perfect slug search over.

Back