1st timer here...after range cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buglemintoday

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all the information in the past guys!

Today I was able to go out to the range and shoot my new muzzleloader. WHAT A BLAST! In West Texas it is rare to see someone shooting a muzzleloader so you should have seen the looks on people's faces! My first shot and everyone around me was staring!!!! I think I smoked them out lol.

Ended up shooting about 17 times. Open sight, and was able to hit within 5 inches of bullseye each time at 100 yards :shock: . I cleaned and guesstimate adjusted my sights before I headed out to the range but I couldnt believe I was actually getting close.

1st shot - (fouling shot) - Was low

The rest kept getting closer and closer to bullseye. Was able to bring the gun to the metallic range and shoot some of the gongs with it as well. This OMEGA is accurate!!

With a big front sight all I did was cover the target up with it and squeeze the trigger...did just fine I think!

I have a few questions though...

1. Once done shooting, should I pull the breech plug and clean with a brush and hot water, or should I do like T/C's "World of Muzzleloading" video and just run 3-5 wet patches and 1-2 dry patches and call it good?

2. What kind of velocity do you think I was getting? (24" barrel, 100gr T7 pellets, Win. T7 209 primers, 245gr Powerbelt)

Thanks Again guys! I got her sighted in, got a hog hunt with it tomorrow afternoon :shock: :D :D :D

Justin

Glad you got out to shoot. It gets easier each time. did you get a hog?

1. Once done shooting, should I pull the breech plug and clean with a brush and hot water, or should I do like T/C's "World of Muzzleloading" video and just run 3-5 wet patches and 1-2 dry patches and call it good?

I've always pulled the plug and clean completely. I've always used Birchwood/Casey #77 Solvent using a bruch and patches. I've never owned a muzzleloader that I had gotten TOO clean!

2. What kind of velocity do you think I was getting? (24" barrel, 100gr T7 pellets, Win. T7 209 primers, 245gr Powerbelt)

Probably high 1700fps range.

Sorry Marty, didnt have one come in last night! I think they knew I was going to smoke them out !!! :lol:

I'll get one this week with it 8) Or I may head out during the week to the shooting range and change my load from 245gr powerbelt to 300gr Harvester or 350gr Maxi :D

Justin

Latest posts

Back