200 gr. Shockwave???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about the 200 gr. shockwave. First, what kind os speeds should I expect from 110gr 777 FFG (or BH209) and this bullet out of my Omega. Second, I think this bullet will be plenty for the deer here in Florida but what about big wild hogs? Anybody that has used this bullet let me know what you think of it. Good or bad. As always, thanks for any information. This web site has been a huge help.

200gr Shockwave/110gr BH209/777...between 2000-2100 fps.

Wild Hogs...I think it would be fine BUT...I'd probably back the powder charge off to 90-100gr....probably 90gr...

Do you think the bullet will have problems staying together at that speed on hogs? Will it be OK pushed that hard on deer?

Hulions said:
Do you think the bullet will have problems staying together at that speed on hogs? Will it be OK pushed that hard on deer?

It can...as all Shockwaves/SSTs can. Deer are easier to kill than a hog and deer are still more and one can make a better shot....and hogs don't like it when someone is shooting at them! 8)

Thanks BIG6X6. I'll try them with a 100 gr. charge and see how they do. Thanks for all your info on here about BH209 to. I can't wait to get a few jugs to try in my Omega. But all of your talk about the Triumph has me wanting another gun and the wife's not to happy about that. Again thanks for your input so quick.

I shot a hog with a 200gr SW and 110gr 777FF it went in the shoulder right next to the neck and diagonal ed through the body blew a quarter size hole out the ham it just missed the hip bone so it did not hit any bones; dropped the hog on the spot with no more than a couple twitches and kicks. Shot an other one in the neck dropped him on the spot too, but the exit hole was not near as big. I have taken two deer with it also it has done a fine job at all ranges for me. Lee

Keep them coming. I want to hear it all. Good and bad. I usually use the 250 gr shockwave. I've had good results wih it and great accuracy but I was going to switch to the lighter bullet for a little flatter shooting at longer ranges. Just in case the longer shot does present its self.

Vaporized 4 deer last year with the same 200g bullet, powder about equal to 100g of Pinnacle, traveling at 1950fps. Got a 250# buck at 150yards-heart lung--one rib going in--2 ribs going out----pass thru...took 2 steps and keeled over 8) :wink:

The other 3 deer were at 40-60yards and just expired on the spot :)

Ya, that bullet will do the job...no worries :wink:

I've never had the pleasure of harvesting anything with a shockwave, but if all you are doing is going to that lighter bullet for flatter shooting, and you've had good luck with 250 grain in the past, I think you're wasting your time. If my shots were 200+ yards, then flatter shooting might be a concern, but most shooting people do is no where near that far, with muzzleloaders IN MY AREA especially. Like I said, if you normally shoot that far, then flatter is better but if not, I'd go to something with more weight, that I have had good results in the past.

Of course I am the worst judge of a sabots as I shoot a conical. I got hooked on shooting large chunks of pure lead conicals. And I have a lot of faith in them sinkers I throw.

As for hogs, you have to be like Batchief and coax them into charging you so you can shoot them at 12 inches.. easier to hit. But cleaning the pants is kind of a drag I bet.. :D

12 inches an' on one leg.... :oops: :shock: :lol:

Din't have time ta soil mah britches... :lol: :shock:

I would not judge the bullet by its weight as far as penetration is concerned, that why they publish Sectional Density numbers; that 40 cal two hundred gr bullet is almost two calibers long and will out penetrate the 250 gr Shock Wave. It is a very effective bullet and every thing I have shot with it has been a pass through. From my experience with it I would rate it as effective as a 300 gr bullet for penetration, I personally would not hesitate to use it on elk. Lee

The sectional density IS really good but that's not the whole story as bullet construction is key as well. I've had the 200gr SST practically VAPORIZE on two medium size buck using 120gr ffg Triple Se7en in a Disc Elite. Trust me my JAW DROPPED when I found the fragments. The last bucks I shot with it was purposely shot quartering to me in the front shoulder to see if it would happen twice. It did and that time it was worse, bullet fragments is all I could find(50yd shot BTW). Of course it did awesone on two pronghorns at 196 and 208yds. 110gr and lower, probably fine. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it on jackrabbits! :lol:

In my experience 200gr SST<250gr SST<250gr Ballistic Extreme<250gr Bonded Shockwave<275gr Ballistic Extreme. IMO the 275gr Ballistic Extreme is SO good...if it shoots accurately in your rifle you can stop right there.

I really like the 250 bonded Shockwave... I've killed two hogs that averaged 200lbs and they were both bang flops.

I have all three bullets. The 200gr. SW, 250gr. and 250gr. bonded SW. I always thought that the bonded bullet might have problems expanding on the smaller deer here in Florida. I guess I am just trying to find the best of both worlds for hunting deer and hogs. I will be hunting deer mostly but I never know when a big hog might come walking by. Thanks for everyones info. so far.

I guess I am just trying to find the best of both worlds for hunting deer and hogs.

275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme/Traditions T-Shock Polymer Tip(but you'll need to change sabots)

big6x6 said:
I've had the 200gr SST practically VAPORIZE on two medium size buck

Dang it, now you have me rethinking the whole 200 gr Shockwave/SST thing. On anything but vermin VAPORIZE is not a word I want associated with a hunting bullet. Last year we used the 200 gr XTP quite a bit with really good success, but that was with 90 gr of T7 FFF. I was hoping the SST/Shockwave version would be a little tougher and able to hold up for shoulder shots. Guess I might be changing my hunting load for this year in the Omega... instead of a 200 gr sniper it may become a 300 gr smasher.

I believe all bullets have a velocity range that they work best at and any more than 110gr with this bullet is probably to much and if you are going to take shoulder shots that's too much. It would really be nice if they would come out with this 200gr SW in a bonded core and in bulk. Until they do I will be using the one available when I hunt my long range spot and if they are close I will place my shot carefully of course I do that anyhow, it keeps me from having any problems. Lee

Back