2007 Ohio muzzleloader season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to Harvest this buck thursday evening.

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01146-1.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

HELL YEAH!

Way to go JON!! How soon you forget the one that got away! Glad to see the Parker/ULA combo strike again!

Awesome buck,

CONGRATS!!!

220 ish yards!!!!

What's that sticking out of the abdominal cavity?

Way to GO JD! That is an AWESOME buck!

Let's hear the details!

Nice! Congrats! I was shocked to see that you guys don't have snow. No ice bags needed here.

That is a beautiful buck you got there... congratulations.

Today was the last day of muzzleloading season here in Ohio. I had to go to Columbus, Ohio today so my daughters could catch their flights back to work. I saw one hunter all day on my trip. I however saw 10 deer on the way down and over 75 on the way back. Deer everywhere and no hunters. These were not pushed deer but feeding deer. Somebody missed out today on hunting.
I did not want to hijack this topic but it was a bit related to the Ohio ML season.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I finally got some time to tell all the details.

Thursday morning I arrived at my Uncles farm at 6:00am. I changed my clothes and made the 1/4 mile hike to my blind. It sits near a creek bottom that runs between 2 large thickets. It usually has a lot of deer traffic but this particular morning I saw nothing. I hunted until 10:00AM then I walked back to my truck for lunch. On the way I had stopped and checked a few high traffic areas, but their were absolutely no fresh tracks. The area had gone cold.

While I ate my lunch I decided to hunt the fields in the evening. I have not hunted his fields for years due to neighboring hunting pressure, but in the last couple of years the local farmers have controlled who is hunting their properties.

At 2:00PM I sat down behind a downed tree. The action was very slow until 4:00PM when I saw 2 nice does working their way across a depression in the field. Then 2 more started to work across a neighboring bean beanfield. These does were headed to the same offset in the field were a brush lined water way ends. The stood there for about 15 minutes just staring into the brush. Then finally the big buck step out. He circled the does and started feeding. It was now 4:45PM. The does finally crossed into the adjoining field and out of sight. I made the decision to try to move down the water way and make up some distance. I started out 500+ yards away. With the wind in my favor I stayed low and close to the brush. The whole time he just kept staring in my direction, but I was running out of time and had to keep moving. I got about 300 yd. out when my cell started ringing. I forgot to put it on vibrate. However he just continued to stare at me. I continued to slowly make up ground. I got to within 200yds and laid down in the mud to take the shot. I steadied the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. CLICK ,bad primer. The buck turned and walked into the brush. I removed the bad primer and loaded a new one. I couldn't believe this was happening then all of a sudden he trotted out of the bush broadside and stopped to check me out one more time. This time My ULA went bang. I new I had hit him back a little farther than I wanted. So we let him go for awhile before we retrieved him.

The Parker Ballistic Exteme 275 did an excellent job.

DSC01153.jpg

Great story Jon! Man you must have been freaking out when the hammer fell on a bad primer. :shock: Are you going to mount this buck?

Latest posts

Back