209 Breech plug whoas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSalyards

Reaction score
So I shoot a CVA Accura and I have to pry out the primers after every shot. Clean rifle, dirty rifle, don't matter .Win blue box, CCI's feds , all the same. I tried a New factory breech plug, same thing. tried the O ring thing, nope. Any suggestions ?

Are the primers coming out dirty, as in black with soot? If so, add a small rubber o-ring to the primer and use primers that allow the breech to close and fire.

I have an Accura V2 and use Winchester's blue box primers exclusively. Some are slightly longer than others so now I mike each box and keep only those that will seal without the o-ring for hunting. The rest go to the range with me and those will call for an o-ring to help seal the soot out of the pocket. Without the o-ring about 50% of those primers will need an assist in popping out after firing. I'll add that all of my CVA inlines have had the plugs converted to use vent liners and only the Accura has an issue with the primer length/soot or hard primer removal/clean plug. I shoot 77 weighed grains of bh209 under a black crush rib and a 250 grain Barnes Expander. The only place I have to dink with primers that want to stick are at the range.

I had a sheet of paper with the micrometer readout for primer length in the last box of primers I miked and now cannot find it or I'd have the primer lengths that shoot clean for me, for you. Sorry.

Last edited:
I'm starting a 209 aggravation therapy group,instead of anti depressants and tranquilizer we dispense shims and o-rings,,no one listens!!! Please someone ,help!!me first,,just one 209 rifle that shoot's clean from the factory,,just one!!

........Please someone ,help!!me first,,just one 209 rifle that shoot's clean from the factory,,just one!!

Every Omega rifle made will shoot clean from the factory using W209 primers that are 0.302" long or longer.

Knight rifles will, if one lucks into one with a longish bolt. Have owned two Knight that shot clean from the factory if one used W209 primers 0.302" long or longer.

So I shoot a CVA Accura and I have to pry out the primers after every shot. Clean rifle, dirty rifle, don't matter .Win blue box, CCI's feds , all the same. I tried a New factory breech plug, same thing. tried the O ring thing, nope. Any suggestions ?
What is the load your shooting?

same problem here! I'm shooting a optima v2 100 gr by volume, bunch of different bullet/sabots Winchester blue box 209. bought the o ring. gun wont close with o ring and primere so i can't use it. can't find other primers or i would have tried them also.

and I'm like mtmonkey, you would think someone could make a gun from the factory that wouldn't blow crap all over the place.

I've had five CVAs, all Acuras, I've only had one of the five that would shoot clean, that was trying shims and o rings, new plugs, I really have just given up on that, I've only used CVA plugs and Western plugs I haven't tried anyone else's custom plug,,all five of the rifles have been excellent shooters .

I have two plugs (hopefully 3 soon), that seal great without o rings. However, they do need to be pried out of the pocket after firing.

The only thing that does not is my NEF Sidekick with Metrics Unlimited plug that you either almost couldn't get the primer out or it leaked even with the o ring because the pocket diameter was too large (2 different MU plugs). I sent them off and had the pockets opened up to take a 0.305" long trimmed-down .22 Hornet brass. Works perfectly to seal with a larger o ring and the Hornet "primer module" plucks right out with my fingers. I use CCI 450 SRP in them and the Sidekick now seems to be less picky on the bullet/sabot combination...has shot everything fairly well since the move to the primer modules.

same problem here! I'm shooting a optima v2 100 gr by volume, bunch of different bullet/sabots Winchester blue box 209. bought the o ring. gun wont close with o ring and primere so i can't use it. can't find other primers or i would have tried them also.

You need to slam the action closed when using the o-rings. However, with Winchester primers, you shouldn't need to use an o-ring.

I got lucky with my CVA MR this time. With the CVA BH breech plug and Winchester primers the shot primers fall out and are clean like new. I do need to slam the action shut though.

First time i've had that. Normally, I had to use shims to get clean shot primers but CVA doesn't sell them anymore.

I shoot 77 weighed gr of BH209 pushing a 300gr .452 Deep Curl in a black crush rib sabot. Was using Win 209's exclusively and just switched to CCI's. O-rings don't matter. I wish they still sold the shims though. Mic'ed the primers, Ba-humbug!

I have tried the o rings. with the o ring in ive tried to slam the action shut. wont shut!. the first 30 or 40 shots were fine but after that dirty primers and can be hard to get out.

Primers stick in my CVA BH breech plug.They don't stick in the orginal plug that I sent to
ronlaughlin and had converted to use a vent liner.I can't use the O rings with either one.
I'm interested in how to polish also.
Using the longer Winchester primers mine stays fairly clean.

Latest posts

Back