209 Breech plug whoas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take 5 unfired primers and measure them. Try to keep all as close to the same length as possible and as long as possible.
Take each one and place it in the plug.
Snap the action shut but dont fire it.
Remove each primer and measure it again

What was the average change in length?
.003 crush is about ideal for a break action. That gives you a tiny bit of wiggle room in case you get one that is longer than the average.

KKqYHYfS

Good work Mr. Reed!

Take 5 unfired primers and measure them. Try to keep all as close to the same length as possible and as long as possible.
Take each one and place it in the plug.
Snap the action shut but dont fire it.
Remove each primer and measure it again

What was the average change in length?
.003 crush is about ideal for a break action. That gives you a tiny bit of wiggle room in case you get one that is longer than the average.

So if someone did this and only had a .001 crush on average would you use the same 5 and keep adjusting?

Also, I should have probably mentioned that I'm using CCI magnum primers.

No, start with fresh primers each time. The first ones you used will still crush but less. (obviously) You wont get a good feel if reusing them for further adjustment. The CVA hammer wont cock if you end up too tight so you really want to feel how hard it is to close the action on a brand new primer.

As long as you get some crush they should not be too dirty when fired.

One can make shims. Before CVA offered the shims; one made them.

P1122377.JPG

One can purchase 0.005" shim stock at Ace.

P1122379.JPG

P1122380.JPG

So Ron, which two punch sizes are you using to make these .005" shims from flat stock?

I would suggest starting with a new bh breech plug so you know primer seat is not gas cut before setting headspace will firing pin busting and cleaning flame channel with proper drill every 20 shots and monitor flash hole as shot total increase. Typically when flash hole passes .038 replace plug or install ventliner

Be careful with crushing too much. The gun fired for Jon once closing the action but he always used a lot of crush.

So Ron, which two punch sizes are you using to make these .005" shims from flat stock?

Good Question. Haven't made any since CVA started selling them. Probably the last time those punches were used is 2011, or so. There is no shim stock remaining in any punches for a clue.

IMG_5039.JPG

Punches are marked 10, 9, 8, 7,6, .................... Am guessing that means mm beings how they are from France.

Will guess..................guess..............10mm for the OD; 8mm for the ID.

Please don't be mad at me if guess is incorrect............

Green loc-tite is working good holding the outer sleeve of Bestill' two part breech plug in the Knight rifle.

No, start with fresh primers each time. The first ones you used will still crush but less. (obviously) You wont get a good feel if reusing them for further adjustment. The CVA hammer wont cock if you end up too tight so you really want to feel how hard it is to close the action on a brand new primer.

As long as you get some crush they should not be too dirty when fired.

Ok, so I just checked this and all primers were 0.297" to start. After closing the breech on them they were between 0.290" and 0.292". Obviously this is a good deal more than the .003" you referenced but in earlier dry fire (no charge, just primer) testing anything less than the current position of the bushing resulted in blow by. Also, if I close the breech too softly it won't allow me to cock it but if I close it with just a little bit more force it cocks just like it should.

Thoughts?

Thanks much Ron. I can pull the bushing and mike in both off the threads and inside the bushing at the collar. Again, thanks.

Ok, so I just checked this and all primers were 0.297" to start. After closing the breech on them they were between 0.290" and 0.292". Obviously this is a good deal more than the .003" you referenced but in earlier dry fire (no charge, just primer) testing anything less than the current position of the bushing resulted in blow by. Also, if I close the breech too softly it won't allow me to cock it but if I close it with just a little bit more force it cocks just like it should.

Thoughts?

Seems just right doesn't it?

If you know the dimesions you could have them made @ triggershims.com. I have bought kits for guns from them and they would make you what you want.

Ya, little buggers. I've checked machine shops and no luck finding them. Not sure where CVA had them produced. That looked like a nice kit they sold at one time.

They must have had problems with guys shimming too tight. I can see some dummies putting all the shims in.

Normally. They aren't so easy to make neither.

I'm going to do some measuring and pick up the punches I think will work. I have a bunch of hard maple cutting boards that have been resurfaced and plan on using one to punch on. I can round the shim stock up pretty easy. Being retired it seems like a fun way to play a bit and make something at the same time. If it works, great. If it doesn't pan out at least I tried. A guy won't know unless he tries.

Latest posts

Back