.221 Fireball - Rem 700 classic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Just picked up this combo yesterday.

Anyone have some load information they could share?

Thanks in advance!

Doohan

Well JJ I'm waiting on your range results! That little sucker should shoot! ..may need to mess with the trigger a little..

big6x6 said:
Well JJ I'm waiting on your range results! That little sucker should shoot! ..may need to mess with the trigger a little..

:D

Well, todays range visit was pretty dismal for the most part. My 10ml was giving me fits!

BUT - My first visit with my newest addition was pretty fun!

Last night, I loaded up 20 rounds using 20gr of 2015 and 35gr Vmax's. This wasnt a book load for such a light bullet but I figured I would give it a go. 20gr in the little case was pretty much full, my sierra book says max load would be 20.2gr in the tiny case.

Here is a pic ( albeit a bad one ) with a Bushnell 4200 4x16x40 on top and ready to go.

Picture075.jpg

Here is a comparison of the .221FB and a .204 Ruger. The .221 is on the right.
Picture083.jpg

All in all, I got the gun sighted in and got to shoot 3 - 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Best group is this one.. The other 2 opened up a bit.
Picture086.jpg

Best group was somewhere between .75" and .5" and worst was maybe 1.25" or more.

A few passes over the chrony showed speeds in the high 2800's. Next up is Lil'Gun.. I hope to accurately push closer to 3400fps.

I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks for getting me HOOKED Chuck!

Well..I wish I could see a pic of the gun/scope! :x :lol:

Get you some Berger .224cal 40gr MEF bullets and stick with that 19 to 20 gr charge of 2015 and see what happens...

Do you have a Stoney Point OAL gauge and a Bullet Comparator? SP offers the modified case in .221 FB..

This sure sounds like a great rig JJ!

I like the way the scope has a built in electric screwdriver on the objective lense :lol:

Sorry about the pic Chuck.. I got it in there now..

Uploading pics on dail-up takes awhile! :oops:

Yes, I have the stoney point OAL gauge and comparator.. Just no adapter for .221... I picked that up when I decided to get the gun.. and dies.

I was wondering which bullets to try next. Sounds like a good choice. I would expect velocity to accelerate a bit.

This sure sounds like a great rig JJ!

Funny how I try to talk you into the gun and you turned the tables on me! :partyman:

The trigger will be my next project. As equipped is pretty bad!

VENISONEATR said:
I like the way the scope has a built in electric screwdriver on the objective lense :lol:

:applause: :partyman: :mrgreen:

Tried some different powders today and got some better results. I didnt make it to the range so I didnt get to shoot as much as I would have liked. All targets were 107 yds.

Here is a better pic of my setup.. Notice the new scope :wink:

Picture092.jpg

Since I only have 35g Vmax bullets, I tried a couple different powders today and rem 7 1/2 primers. Lil'Gun 15.5 gr, Lil'Gun 16gr and N120 18gr. All loads show a bit of promise but one 15.5gr of Lil'Gun really shined.. Here are a couple groups of that load -
Picture104.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Didnt measure them but you can cover both groups with a dime. :lol: Not bad for what seems like a 10# trigger!

Next I shot the 16gr of Lil'Gun after which I noticed quite a bit of barrel heat.. I think I will try some of these again later.

Picture119.jpg

And finally 18gr of N120 -

Picture106.jpg

I am really starting to like this gun. Sans trigger it is a great carry gun and seems to be plenty accurate!

Here is a better pic of my setup.. Notice the new scope

JJ: Is the old scope with the cordless drill for sale? :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice groups for a 10lb trigger !!!! :yeah:

You're HOOKED! :lol:

That really is some great shooting for a sporter weight rifle! That really is a nice looking setup as well. The 700 Classic is Remingtons best looking rifle, IMO. Sometimes you just can't beat a walnut stock and a blued finish! :wink:

A jug of powder will last you FOREVER with that thing!

Trigger..I'm sending you some trigger info! :wink:

Latest posts

Back