25 yard range for zeroing new Endeavor..need advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to a local indoor range today to sight in my new T/C Endeavor and Nikon 300 BDC scope. I loaded some speed tubes last night with 100 grains of BH209. I'll be shooting some sabots today (250 gr. barnes spitfire TEZ, Harvester PT gold 260's, and some 250 gr. T/C shockwaves).

I only have a 25 yard indoor range closeby. I have read articles before about the 25 yard zero for big game centerfire rifle ammo. It discusses the arc of the bullet and how it intersects the scope's reticle at 2 different ranges. Here is one:

http://www.modeerhunter.com/stories/zero.aspx

HOWEVER it does not include the ballistics for .50 cal. muzzleloader sabots.

I'm looking for advice. Where should I put the rounds on paper at 25 yards if I am looking for a 100 yard zero? Is there any rule of thumb? I hunt hardwoods in upstate NY. 100 yards is about the maximum potential shot distance.

Thanks

My money would be on 1" - 1.5" low as a starting reference point. Wouldn't even think about hunting with it until you test it at the 100yd mark though. Setting the 1st few shots at 25yds is fine to get it on paper at 100yds, but you need the extra distance to flush out the final adjustments

Sight it in dead on the top of the bull at 25 yards then go to a range and shoot 100 yards. I will be close and easy to tune from there.

cayuga said:
Sight it in dead on the top of the bull at 25 yards then go to a range and shoot 100 yards. I will be close and easy to tune from there.

I went to the range before the replies came in. I used 100 grains of BH209, CCI Magnum 209 primers, and Barnes Spitfire T-EZ 250 grain sabots.

It was easy to load. The spinjag bullet starter and spinjag bullet loader worked like a charm!

I got it dialed in about 1/2" above the center bull consistently (hole in hole).

I tried the 4 Harvester Scorpion PT gold (260 gr.) sabots as well. They loaded even easier than the Barnes sabots! They grouped in the same spot.

After 15 total rounds the sabots loaded very easily! No fouling!

I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning.

I won't have any time to take it to an outdoor range (over 1 hour away from home) to fine tune the zero at 100 yards. Next weekend is my only chance for muzzle loader season upstate NY. I feel pretty comfortable with the results today.

Thanks again for all your help!

Sounds like your well on your way to becomming a ML'dr junkie,...welcome aboard. Best of luck with the up comming hunt. Keep everyone posted on the events,...and remember...it don't count without a good story & a pile of pictures! :D

Latest posts

Back