250 Grain MonoFlex ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

The bullet was shot into the standard set 26 yard away. Load was 80g Blackhorn, 250g MonoFlex, short black Harvester sabot, W209 primer. The VIDEO.

80befo.jpg

quartersecmonoflex.jpg

The photo shows the jug set about 1/4 second after impact. The bullet went completely through four jugs, and bounced off the fifth. The first two jugs were totaled; fifth jug was too damaged, to use for any more tests. The monoflex bullet was found on the ground, about three feet off to the side of the horse.

Wow. Much more damaging than the XTP. Arguably the best 45/50-cal intended muzzleloader bullet Hornady produces. The additional price is a reflection of it's durability.

How much did the bullet weight after impact?

Impressive. I have a few boxes, and was considering those for elk as well. I just wish they made a 290 or 300 grain one.
Of course, a well placed 250 would obviously do the job well.

Is the monoflex a different bullet than SST? Is it specially made for slower speed? I have both, (and some blemished SST from midway)

The Mono is a solid copper bullet like a barnes and the SST is a lead core bullet...both are very accurate ...

Al-53 said:
The Mono is a solid copper bullet like a barnes and the SST is a lead core bullet...both are very accurate ...

Incorrect

The Monoflex is a solid guilding metal bullet. 95% copper and 5% zinc.

Copper 30-35BHN
Guilding metal 45ish BHN for 5% zinc. 10% zinc is around 56BHN.

yes I stand corrected ..it is an Alloy bullet ..95% copper and 5% zinc....but performs just like the barnes...nice flowers...

Al-53 said:
yes I stand corrected ..it is an Alloy bullet ..95% copper and 5% zinc....but performs just like the barnes...nice flowers...

I doubt they were counting their nickels and dimes when adding-in that 5%. I'll bet the mixture aids in bullet performance. I don't recall any mentions here that 100% copper works better than 95-5.

I dont think for a minute that alloy will hinder any performance...I have not hunted with them yet but just shot some at the range..reason i said solid copper as thats what they looked like to me...

I bet the alloy is the same as they use in their bullet jackets and costs over the long term are enormous. Very few bullet makers today still use pure copper jackets. When you start adding up metal weight in tons per year, 5% is quite a bit of savings.

It appears the Monoflex has a deeper HP than a Barnes copper bullet of the same weight. That might aid in them performing similar to a Barnes.

I have some coming for my savage ML2. Looking at RL7 w/ BCR sabot. Do they shoot well for you guys?

Couldn’t ask for a prettier mushroom. Maybe the 5% helps in some way. Seems like some pure copper bullets dont always open that well.

Agree........... These bullets seem to work better than pure copper. Never was able to shoot a deer using this bullet but did manage to kill a coyote. Damage to the coyote was hideous.

Latest posts

Back