250 Grain MonoFlex ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn’t ask for a prettier mushroom. Maybe the 5% helps in some way. Seems like some pure copper bullets dont always open that well.
They do when the HP and tip are designed correctly. If the HP is not deep/large enough the tip just plugs it up. Take one look at the Monoflex HP after expanding.....Sure looks deep to me.

The Monoflex also appears to have more petals than a similar Barnes. So more serrations which will help it expand easier. The added zinc is just a money saver when cranking out TONS worth of bullets a year. Copper is more expensive than zinc.

mr. laughlin have you tested the .458 monoflex ? if you have did you notice any differences between the .452 and the .458 ? and if you did notice differences what were they .

thanks , jeff

They do when the HP and tip are designed correctly. If the HP is not deep/large enough the tip just plugs it up. Take one look at the Monoflex HP after expanding.....Sure looks deep to me.

The Monoflex also appears to have more petals than a similar Barnes. So more serrations which will help it expand easier. The added zinc is just a money saver when cranking out TONS worth of bullets a year. Copper is more expensive than zinc.
I’m sure you’re correct on the savings but the zinc is also added to make the copper less sticky to control copper fowling and maybe add a little more velocity.

does a sabot on a ML bullet create more or less stick to a barrel compared to typical copper or lead surface full bore ML bullets ?
if so is it enough to make a real difference hunting or at the range ?
or .... is it a negligible difference only good for warm fuzzy feelings and advertising ?
i'm new to ML'ing and i think i'm gonna be sticking with sabots but i'd like to know for future reference .

I don’t think it makes much difference in a muzzleloader but the zinc helps prevent copper fowling in a centerfire.

The federal borlock copper should perform similarly to the monoflex. One thing I like about the borlock was it cut through the t7 crud ring like nothing so no need to swab between shots if that’s what you prefer.

FWIU .... the federal borelock don't expand/open/flower at lower velocities like the monoflex .
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/federal-copper-bor-lock.27110/
MM any idea why or how the borelocks cut through the crud ring ? is it actually cutting the crud ring dislodging/removing some of it to ease seating or is the plastic sleeve soft enough to slide over the crud ring ? i'm a 777 fffg user so potentially mitigating the crud ring is of interest to me ....... and i'm too cheap to buy BH209 hahaha .

take care , jeff

FWIU .... the federal borelock don't expand/open/flower at lower velocities like the monoflex .
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/federal-copper-bor-lock.27110/
MM any idea why or how the borelocks cut through the crud ring ? is it actually cutting the crud ring dislodging/removing some of it to ease seating or is the plastic sleeve soft enough to slide over the crud ring ? i'm a 777 fffg user so potentially mitigating the crud ring is of interest to me ....... and i'm too cheap to buy BH209 hahaha .

take care , jeff
Base is “fiberglass reinforced” and designed to cut the crud ring.

95C8BEE3-0AF9-4228-8CB0-013DC0D4B1F5.jpeg

Yea and those ribs on the outside of the base are scrapers when you push the bullet down the bore it turns with the rifling and scrapes the crud off.

thats cool , thanks ;) . seems like some company would make sabots with that type of construction .

I had something similar going on in my head before they came out but it was a separate bullet and sabot combo not attached like that.

Latest posts

Back