250gr bullet vs 290gr bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpowder72

Reaction score
Been playing around with some new loads. My question is does a 290gr bullet hold together and have more penetration on deer size game shooting the same powder charge than a 250gr bullet ? Most ballistic tables show the 250gr out preforms the 290gr out to about 150 yards witch is about my max yards. Little history I shoot a Remington 700ml ( not the ultimate ) 100gr of 777ffg by volume Barnes T EZ 290gr bullet , I can shoot sub 1" groups with this combo. Remington and 777 say MAX load 100gr powder that's why I don't shoot any more than 100gr. Im a stickler for accuracy but I also want to shoot the best killing load . Just playing around having some fun in the summer , just thought I would see what your guys thoughts were . Thanks !!

Never Trade off accuracy. Both Bullets have very proven terminal performance at your distances. Clean humane harvesting is your goal.

Greg

Get some 250's and see how they shoot out of the 700ML. I've used both weights and usually load up the 50 cals with the 250gr TEZ's with a Harvester sabot. On another note, my daughter's 700ML shot best with the 250gr TMZ but I was using BH209 powder with Hunters's bolt nose 209 conversion.

Thanks guys. Ive hunted with this rifle and combo for years and it works great. I was more curious on what people think of a 290gr bullet vs 250gr bullet as far as damage to the animal . Both bullets shoot great out of this gun with 100gr measured 777 ffg. Thanks

There is more to it than the weight difference, for instance I tried power belts once a 245 grain PB blew up on a does shoulder and while it hurt her it did not stop her after the first time she got up and run I left her over night, the next day I brought the blood trailing dog and we tracked her down again and this time I put a 250 grain Gold Dot through both shoulders and dropped her.
The only bullets I trust after many years experience is the Lehigh especially the bloodline, The Barns are good but I have had one not expand at long range. Look up the bullet testing Ron has done and you may find out what to use or avoid.

I agree with others that accuracy is most important.
With your distances of 150 Max, this may help you visualize - it’s BH data I put together for comparison.

Attachments

• BBE70355-3F07-43E3-8350-FCCF8FEB2D08.jpeg
    BBE70355-3F07-43E3-8350-FCCF8FEB2D08.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 251
blackpowder72 said:
.......more curious on what people think of a 290gr bullet vs 250gr bullet as far as damage to the animal............
What i think is it would be hard to see a difference in damage to the animal between the two weights. However, i do think if you are seeking a bullet that will provide maximum damage to an animal, you could consider one of the Barnes bullets without a tip e.g. the 250gr EXP-MZ.

I have shot a variety of Barnes bullets. For the ranges you shoot I would shoot the most accurate bullet. Deer are not that difficult to kill when they are properly hit and that would be with accuracy. The best of the two Barnes would be my choice.

ronlaughlin said:
blackpowder72 said:
.......more curious on what people think of a 290gr bullet vs 250gr bullet as far as damage to the animal............
What i think is it would be hard to see a difference in damage to the animal between the two weights. However, i do think if you are seeking a bullet that will provide maximum damage to an animal, you could consider one of the Barnes bullets without a tip e.g. the 250gr EXP-MZ.

Totally agree with Ron - I think you would find the MZ Expanders would offer better 'terminal performance' at the ranges normally shot by a ML.

These are 50 cal Expanders but it will give you a thought about they look like.

7-21_Barnes_Composite.png

I was shooting these sabotless from my ULite with open sights and it was the first time shooting these from my rifle.

7-21_Barnes_Target.jpg

The difference in damage with the 2 bullet weights will be more dependent on the construction of the bullet than the weight of the bullet. The energy should be dumped in the target and not on the back drop, be still have enough penetration to exit. That heavier bullet does have slightly more energy, but the difference would only be noticed on a chart, not on game. So you are in good spot,both shoot well, pick which ever weight strikes your fancy, the deer won't be able to tell the difference!

Back