300 barnes original and 5744?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman said:
Lets see:
Possible causes of variation of velocity read with same load.
Different Chronos- 50 fps?
Different Rifles- 50-100 fps?
Charge variations and diff. in loading procedure - 50-100 fps?
Atmospheric conditions including temp- 50-100 fps?

Just taking a guess here fellas but it seems to me that there is alot of room for variations in velocity readings from gun to gun, chrono to chrono etc. that could add up in a worse case scenario.

Again, don't know why this is in the advanced forum, this is shooting 101. :roll:

ALL very true... I just want to see the number... I'm making no excuses whatsoever...I just want to see 2000-2025fps with 44gr 5744 and a 300gr bullet..

Please remember I am LOOKING at three difference Savage 10ML-IIs. I can tell you I've never seen 100fps variation gun to gun with the same powder charge and a 300gr bullet. Not saying it COULDN'T happen...I just have not seen it. I have five different chronographs here in Athens, AL and neither has read 2000-2025fps with a 300gr bullet and 44gr 5744. I'm not saying it couldn't happen TOMORROW...I'd just like to see it...

...AND I want to ballistically compare the Barnes 300gr .458 Original with a 300gr .452 SST. That will be a GREAT project for us in Crossville! I'm saying..and have ALWAYS said...the 300gr SST will tie or beat it! :wink:

...AND I want to ballistically compare the Barnes 300gr .458 Original with a 300gr .452 SST. That will be a GREAT project for us in Crossville! I'm saying..and have ALWAYS said...the 300gr SST will tie or beat it! :wink:

I'm in! How about you J.J. :partyman:

big6x6 said:
I for one would like to see that little comparison! Hope you pork hunters have a little spare time on your hands to work on that project!

Guard your Oehler Model 35-- as they are no longer made or available. :cry:

AND I want to ballistically compare the Barnes 300gr .458 Original with a 300gr .452 SST. That will be a GREAT project for us in Crossville! I'm saying..and have ALWAYS said...the 300gr SST will tie or beat it!

I agree that would be an interesting study, however my best guess is the barnes will be the flatter flier of the two. Notice I did not say higher BC. Also I did not mention SD. Reason being I think the polymer tip skews the actual numbers when conventional formulas are used.
Also some ballistic gel. comparisons should be insightful as well.

I'm in! How about you J.J.

well.... yeah!

I'll be there with beer in hand and a big smile! I better bring a 3rd chrony and box... and 5744, n120 and some snazzy 285 spitfires!

Back