300 grain Hornady XTP BallisticGel Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot this bullet in my Knights. What ML are you shooting these with? Also, what powder are you using and amount. You might have put this in one of your other gel threads but I am interested in this particular bullet. Thanks

The test was done with 60 Grains of BH 209 at a distance of 50 yards. I used a Knight Disc Elite to fire the bullet.

This was not the XTP Mag just the regular XTP.

How is gel an accurate test of what a bullet will do? Do yall use different kinds of gel and thicknesses or consistency to simulate hitting bone or squeezing between ribs on both sides of the critter? This is new to me and I'm ignorant on it as a newbie. Do you stick a bone in the gel to simulate a leg?

hard to beat a xtp especially the 300 grainers.. gel is pretty much the standard by which most bullets are tested, mimick a chest shot into heart lungs or chest area. Dont stick anything in the gel. Do a google search on ballistic gel bullet tests tons of info available.

how far did the bullet penetrate?

The XTP went all the way through the gel ( 23" ) but to be completely transparent, it was the 6th bullet shot into the gel which was getting beat up a tad. I was not the shooter and watched it hit the gel. It smacked it hard vs the Fury, for example, where you could barley see a hit.

How is gel an accurate test of what a bullet will do? Do yall use different kinds of gel and thicknesses or consistency to simulate hitting bone or squeezing between ribs on both sides of the critter? This is new to me and I'm ignorant on it as a newbie. Do you stick a bone in the gel to simulate a leg?
Ballistic gelatin has been used for decades as a test media for bullet performance because it has shown to mirror actual results in the field. It’s not perfect but it’s actually very close. There are some exact standards for mixing, temperature and calibration in the lab setting that allow for consistent data over various mixes and days of testing. I ran the testing protocols for my police agency for 6 years and we used a lot of gelatin at bidding time. You can place bones into the gel and that is a good simulation of bone in living creatures, and you can actually buy gelatin dummies with bone and organ structures molded in. It’s good stuff and you can gather a lifetime of hunting data In no time at all.

The xtp has takin so many deer in our group. Great bullet of choice for under 200 yards

Both deer in my Avatar were taken with the 300 gr XTP (non-mag). Neither went more than 40 yards.

Was this bullet fired from a .50 cal in a sabot? I just found half a box of these in my reloading cabinet but not sure if I should try them in my .50 or my .45 (if I can). Thank you!

Thanks for the info. The 300 grain XTP kinda drives me nuts.... What 300 grain XTP were you testing? There are 3 that I am aware of in the current product line not including blem sold by a few vendors. The 300 grain .452 XTP (45230), 300 grain 0.452 XTP MAG (45235), and the 300 grain 0.430 (44280). For a few year I used the 0.430 version accuracy was great but stopped hunting with it due to poor expansion on deer.

What 300 grain XTP were you testing?..... For a few year I used the 0.430 version accuracy was great but stopped hunting with it due to poor expansion on deer.

I hunted the 300 grain in .430 for years and never had any expansion issues. Always had 50 cent piece sized exits and lot of blood many times without any contact with bone.

I've since switched to copper bullets to help keep lead out of the woods and because they are so darned accurate and they too offer the same type of exits. When I did hunt the 300gr, .44 cal XTPs they were pushed with 77 weighed grains [110 by volume] of BH209.

Latest posts

Back