300g PT Gold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
da new guy provided the bullet

IMG_4549.JPG

Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn. Distance between bottles, and rifle is 25 yard.

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

First bottle was blowed in half high, and away. Second bottle was totally destroyed. Third bottle contained a small piece of lead, was damaged. Fourth bottle was holed through. Bullet bounced off fifth bottle, made a leak. Sixth bottle was undamaged. The bullet was found on the ground about 5' behind the horse off to the side, after a long search, using the metal detector. The bullet wouldn't have been found without the metal detector.

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

The copper jacket looks very thin?

Thanks for the great testing Ron. I think that this helps out alot of guys, not just myself choose bullets for hunting. Keep up the great work...PLEASE!

Rainier was making the bullets for Harvester but they are no longer in business. Im curious who will be making them when the back stock runs out. I have doubts it will be Berry's since they are already making bullets for another vendor. Speer does a far better job of plating but cost will go up. So...maybe X-treme Bullets?

Thanks Ron.
Based on the 80grV load, it seems the velocity from BH209 data is around 1650fps.
So, with a max load of 120grV that’s the expected performance at 140yds.
100grV load, it would be 70yds.
3% antimony seems to make some difference in expansion.
Good stuff.
Thanks

Last edited:
The bullets worked pretty well but like someone else said not as well as a Speer. I REALLY wish that Speer would make a "pointy" bullet with a good bc. I think that would be the Holy Grail. They already make great bullets that are cheap, but not cheaply made...

The bullets worked pretty well but like someone else said not as well as a Speer. I REALLY wish that Speer would make a "pointy" bullet with a good bc. I think that would be the Holy Grail. They already make great bullets that are cheap, but not cheaply made...
Pointy bullets don’t improve BC much at all.
Diameter is the #1 improvement, then weight.

Thanks Encore, certainly shows how weight increases BC with same design bullet.

Here are the actual bullets I used in a point / no point test I did a few years ago that I posted here on this site. LabRadar verified and no difference on impact at 200 yard target.
92A2D6E7-CA30-4BFF-9AE2-81D36553CC97.jpeg

Back