.308 vs. 30.06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re buying factory Ammo, I think the .308 might have the edge in accuracy. Not based off of any scientific data, my son has the .308 Howa Platform Rifle and that thing shoots MOA with about any brand of ammo you stuff in it.
If you’re gonna handload, either one can be made to shoot bug holes.

No hand loading yet. Maybe someday but that's even more equipment to buy and store. Give me a few years and I will get into reloading. But for now all factory ammo.

I, personally, and this is just me, although a few others might echo this sentiment, love wood over composite stocks, although I have several rifles that wear them. Just love the look and feel of a good wood stock and the extra weight doesn’t bother me. If the rifles are close to the same in fit and feel and price, I’ll take wood every time.
1-Reputation
2-Fit and feel
3-Looks (you can swap 2 and 3)
4-Price
This is the order of precedence for me when buying a rifle.
Sounds like you have a tough decision, either one will work out fine for you I’m sure.

I, personally, and this is just me, although a few others might echo this sentiment, love wood over composite stocks, although I have several rifles that wear them. Just love the look and feel of a good wood stock and the extra weight doesn’t bother me. If the rifles are close to the same in fit and feel and price, I’ll take wood every time.
1-Reputation
2-Fit and feel
3-Looks (you can swap 2 and 3)
4-Price
This is the order of precedence for me when buying a rifle.
Sounds like you have a tough decision, either one will work out fine for you I’m sure.

I would prefer wood too however I just bought a sig sauer p320 (probably paid too much 500 bucks) no safety no top plate very basic. My first sig and maybe I have not shot a 9mm in years but it shoots low I think. I don't really like it. Nothing like my old Ruger P95 with the decock lever.

I also spent $120 on a hertige .22 single action. Shoots well except the nice black handle has reacted to hoppes and is sticky now. Considering warranty repair.

Right now the 2 rifles are in the $380 range. That means polymer. I am also limited to the store selection where the FFL approved the check. I have heard about Savage but know Ruger. At least thier handguns.

I traded a Helwan Beretta 51 for a Savage 110 in 30-06 over 30 years ago. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4X12X40 on it and 5 years later swapped out the wood stock for a synthetic one. I have not been disappointed one bit. In all the years i have hunted with it, it has never let me down when i did my part from 50yds to 300+yds. I have had tac drivers, 240 Weatherby on a Ruger #1 action Ed Shilen stainless bull barrel,small ring Mauser 98K in 22-250 Ed Shilen medium weight barrel in an EC Bishop stock, and another Mauser model 98 with Ed Shilen heavy sporter barrel in .280 Remington on another EC Bishop stock. Of all these custom built rifles when i would go hunting i always grabed my black stocked Savage in 30-06. It has never failed me.
DL

I traded a Helwan Beretta 51 for a Savage 110 in 30-06 over 30 years ago. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4X12X40 on it and 5 years later swapped out the wood stock for a synthetic one. I have not been disappointed one bit. In all the years i have hunted with it, it has never let me down when i did my part from 50yds to 300+yds. I have had tac drivers, 240 Weatherby on a Ruger #1 action Ed Shilen stainless bull barrel,small ring Mauser 98K in 22-250 Ed Shilen medium weight barrel in an EC Bishop stock, and another Mauser model 98 with Ed Shilen heavy sporter barrel in .280 Remington on another EC Bishop stock. Of all these custom built rifles when i would go hunting i always grabed my black stocked Savage in 30-06. It has never failed me.
DL
I have a savage 110 in 30.30. Pretty awesome to use a pointed bullet in a 30.30

The only problem I had with Remington 700 and 600 triggers, is if they were monkeyed with by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Nothing like closing the bolt and it goes bang!
I haven't heard much good on the newer style triggers. My Rems have the Walker triggers. I do have a Timney tactical on one.
The trigger issue has never stopped me from buying a Remington. Way too many good after-market triggers, plus a competent smith can turn out a very good 2.5lb hunting trigger from a Walker trigger.

I took a look at 3 budget rifles made by Ruger, Savage and Remington. All under 400 bucks.

The Remington available in .308 and 30.06 in stock at the local Walmart is about 50 bucks less than the Savage or the Ruger.

However I've seen YouTube videos where they comment on the Remington stock being very cheap. This is the first I've heard of a trigger issue on a Remington. After dealing with the trigger anxiety with my Sig p320 I don't want to go there again.

between the Savage and the Ruger I have experience with Ruger and I think I'm going to go with the Ruger screw the extra 50 bucks.

I hear both the Ruger and the Savage shoot tight groups at 100 yards sub moa.

The Ruger has a full size beefy bolt. my only concern is the way that these high power rifles anchor into their polymer stocks. I wonder how long that plastic on metal is going to last with the recoil.

I am no closer to figuring out whether I want the 308 or the 30.06.

The 308 30.06 and 7 mm rounds are very close and I think any one of those will be good. They're also all priced about the same.

Realistically I take this hunting maybe once every couple of years most of the time is going to be spent on the Range shooting targets. Those targets will be shot at 200 yards max due to range limitations.

I'll be back at Dunham's tomorrow to figure out which one they had in stock in the Ruger I believe it was the 30.06. making that the right gun but the wrong caliber maybe. Lol

Changing gears entirely they also have a Ruger compact Carry 9 mm for about $320. Honestly though I'm a rifle guy. And I'd love to get into precision long range shooting.

I wonder what caliber they use in large bore long range competition shooting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is the 308.

You are taking the right approach . Have you looked at a Tika? May want to look at them.

I did briefly look at their website it's a little out of my price range though they look like nice guns and unfortunately I didn't see any of those available at the local sports store where I have my FFL approved. I only have about 2 weeks left to either purchase or let that approval expire.

It's been debated many times over the years which has killed more deer, the 30/30 or the 30/06.
I have experience with both but not so with the 308.
Don't think you can go wrong with which ever you choose.

Which 7mm are you looking at?

If your talking about the 7mm Rem Mag you might as well toss the 06 out imo, so close to the .308 but with more recoil. My next rifle will be a 7mm Rem Mag, likely another Tikka.

Which 7mm are you looking at?

If your talking about the 7mm Rem Mag you might as well toss the 06 out imo, so close to the .308 but with more recoil. My next rifle will be a 7mm Rem Mag, likely another Tikka.
I am on my way to the shop as we speak to see what is available. I am not sure if they make a Ruger American in 7mm or if one is in stock.

Will definitely update on final purchase

The results are in folks due to availability issues I went with the Savage axis chambered in 30.06.

Overall it looks good. I am fairly happy so far. This rifle with two boxes of ammo cost 390 that includes tax. It even includes a scope.

Will take to range sometime soon to test accuracy.
IMG_20200930_200246_0.jpg

Back