.308 vs. 30.06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and also thank you everyone for helping me out with this.

Ultimately I thought to myself that I had purchased the 308 I feel like I'd be missing out on the Magnum load of the 30.06.

Some say the 308 is slightly more accurate however I think they're pretty darn close especially out to a hundred yards.

not to mention I believe that this caliber will put the smackum up wallop on a deer. It has slightly more boogie.

They did have the axis chambered in 308 available but like I said I kind of knew in the back of my mind that I walked away with 308 I'd feel like I'd be missing out.

Next on the list is a 9 mm carbine. That's going to have to wait though because I'm pretty broke right now.

Congrats on the new ‘06. Now go forth and kill whatever walks in North America with that rifle.

Eventually I will. After much time at the range. I have a buddy that is an experienced hunter. I may tag along a few times before I shoot something tasty.

All about the humane kill with skill.

Why deal with the recoil? I have 2 rifles in 260 remington bullet size almost the same....Almost no recoil
Fast and long too!

My 7MM guards my safe

I wonder about that recoil. I wonder if will be similar to the muzzleloader which has a pretty decent kick.

I will find out soon. I have cleaned the bore and I have changed the scope and she is ready to be sighted in.

I could start a whole new thread about my questions regarding recoil.

I always wondered if recoil affects accuracy or perceived recoil effects accuracy. When we point the muzzle and pull the trigger does the bullet leave the bore before recoil has anything to do with changing the bore position.

If actual recoil doesn't affect the bullets trajectory then recoil is just a little bit of a nuisance felt. Of course this being a 30.06 a lot of that perceived recoil will have to do with the bullet weight being shot out of the gun.

And that's really another cool thing I like about the 30-06 is that there is so much variety in the bullet weight. Not to mention believe it or not we're almost at hunting season and even in this crisis 30.06 ammo was on the shelf.

And there's a side to me that just loves the history of this cartridge. that has been around over 100 years.

If I'm right with a low grain bullet and a smaller charge I might even be able to hunt a rabbit with the 30-06. Someone said from mouse to moose.

Recoil is a funny thing and everybody has different tolerances. Personally, I love the feel of 30-06 recoil but do not enjoy shooting a 308. It makes no sense by the numbers but I just enjoy the "push" of a 30-06 vs the more snappy 308 recoil. Same with handguns. I can shoot full house loads in my .44 mag all day and still be smiling. But I hate shooting my .357. Again doesn't make sense as its a way bigger bullet.

Just start out with some 150-grain ammo until you get more comfortable. That is going to be slightly less recoil than the 180 grain loads. Try and find some 150 Remington core lockts or some 150 Federal Fusion ammo and shoot as much as you can. My Savage likes both of those loads and the recoil is very pleasant.

I wonder about that recoil. I wonder if will be similar to the muzzleloader which has a pretty decent kick.

I will find out soon. I have cleaned the bore and I have changed the scope and she is ready to be sighted in.

I could start a whole new thread about my questions regarding recoil.

I always wondered if recoil affects accuracy or perceived recoil effects accuracy. When we point the muzzle and pull the trigger does the bullet leave the bore before recoil has anything to do with changing the bore position.

If actual recoil doesn't affect the bullets trajectory then recoil is just a little bit of a nuisance felt. Of course this being a 30.06 a lot of that perceived recoil will have to do with the bullet weight being shot out of the gun.

And that's really another cool thing I like about the 30-06 is that there is so much variety in the bullet weight. Not to mention believe it or not we're almost at hunting season and even in this crisis 30.06 ammo was on the shelf.

And there's a side to me that just loves the history of this cartridge. that has been around over 100 years.

If I'm right with a low grain bullet and a smaller charge I might even be able to hunt a rabbit with the 30-06. Someone said from mouse to moose.
It turns rabbits into blood stains just FYI, so does a .223 rem.
.22lr for rabbits and nothing more, unless you have big rabbits.

Recoil is a funny thing and everybody has different tolerances. Personally, I love the feel of 30-06 recoil but do not enjoy shooting a 308. It makes no sense by the numbers but I just enjoy the "push" of a 30-06 vs the more snappy 308 recoil. Same with handguns. I can shoot full house loads in my .44 mag all day and still be smiling. But I hate shooting my .357. Again doesn't make sense as its a way bigger bullet.

Just start out with some 150-grain ammo until you get more comfortable. That is going to be slightly less recoil than the 180 grain loads. Try and find some 150 Remington core lockts or some 150 Federal Fusion ammo and shoot as much as you can. My Savage likes both of those loads and the recoil is very pleasant.
If you’re chasing deer, the 150’s are all the bullet you need out to 400 yards, maybe farther.
From personal experience, my longest shot with a 150 grain bullet was 340 yards. It was a Nosler Ballistic Tip moving at right close to 2800fps (most factory ammo goes that speed in an .06) he jumped and kicked and went about 30 yards blowing blood and lungs with every step. Complete pass through.

It turns rabbits into blood stains just FYI, so does a .223 rem.
.22lr for rabbits and nothing more, unless you have big rabbits.

There is a manufacturer that dunham's sometimes carries. It is a 22lr rifle but comes with a second barrel making it a .410 shot gun as well.

I would love to get one of those for deer and waterfowl.

This was him

Attachments

• CABBD531-B2EF-4BFD-9BD8-4F3BC07E8034.jpeg
    CABBD531-B2EF-4BFD-9BD8-4F3BC07E8034.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 10
  • F4D06B4F-7267-452B-9829-5EA81D22A5A5.jpeg
    F4D06B4F-7267-452B-9829-5EA81D22A5A5.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 6179C3AF-0BBB-408A-88A8-3BCEA9196908.jpeg
    6179C3AF-0BBB-408A-88A8-3BCEA9196908.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 10
Just for kicks, Lol, try a 12 gauge shotgun with deer slugs.
The 06' will push you more than slap you. The 410 bore is kinda small for waterfowl and most likely not legal in most states. Upland birds and small game is generally a better option.
You sound like a new shooter, my best advice is to learn safety while shooting and hunting.
Have fun and good luck. Be safe.

I used to shoot years ago with my one home defense pistol. Gave up this pistol and did not buy anything like it until I purchased a Pietta 1851 Colt navy cap and ball revolver. I absolutely love that gun and it brought the shooting bug out.

I have NEVER been hunting. So hopefully a buddy of mine will let me tag along on a hunt the first time.

Been thinking about about buckshot for hunting and self defense. Would be kind of nice to put four or five holes into something at the same time.

It looks like I have the larger game covered. Plus a bit of high caliber fun shooting with the 30-06.

I have the home defense filled in with the Sig Sauer p 320 which may be supplemented with a shotgun. Or perhaps the 9 mm carbine.

I need something for small animals and waterfowl. Wondering if the home defense backup shotgun would work for this as well.

I will also eventually need something for a personal carry. I'm thinking something like a Taurus 9mm or maybe a 380 filled with those rip rounds.

For waterfowl, a 12 gauge pump or semiauto. 28 inch barrel. You'll need the special choke tubes for steel shot.
That same 12 gauge can double for small game as well with the appropriate shot/game loads.
Everyone has their own favorite make and model of course. I always liked Mossberg myself, their kinda like the Harley of shotguns.

I may pick up a Savage Mark II F .22lr. The internet says most accurate budget .22

For squirrel and rabbit might be a good way to get my feet wet. I already have a small game license.

I just bought the Savage mark II F as well. Purchased online for local pickup. This should take care of the light work.

Screenshot_20201002-010449.png

Good choice. The 06 has been around for over 100 years and probably will for the foreseeable future

Almost eveyone can shoot a .22 better than a 30-06. It is about the recoil. Americans have magnumitis. That is changing with the introduction of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is enough gun for most hunting, and the recoil is very manageable. Some people even hunt elk with it. I have a 12 gauge shotgun with a full choke 28 inch barrel for turkey or waterfowl, and a shorter barrel for upland game hunting that has the Remchoke, so I can change the chokes depending on what I'm hunting. Very versatile.

Americans have magnumitis.
The 7mm ultra mag broke my addiction to "magnutitus". $3.00 every time I pulled the trigger + recoil. One should have been paid to shoot it.

Agree, nothing is more versatile than interchangeable chokes.

Latest posts

Back