.308 Win 1,100 Yards 4” inch 3 Shot Group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I Stretched the Barrel out on my Little .308 Win the other Day, Stock Remington 700 Rifle, Target was Ranged from Both Sides with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, 1,090, and 1,095 Yards, I Dialed for 1,100 Yards and Shot a 3 Shot Group, over the Hood of my Truck. Shells used were My Handloads, 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets, Hodgdon Varget Powder. Bullets Seated .0025 Jump to The Lands

I need a Piece of Thin 1/4” AR500 Plate for this Kind of Really Long Stuff in order to Hear/See it. My AR500 Plate in the Video here is 20X20” Square, And 1/2” Thick, We are talking HEAVY! Like 60 Pounds! My Cartridge guns at this Distance Just Don’t Stand a Chance at Moving it.

1,100 Yard 3 Shot Group measures 4” inches, For this Distance, this is one of the Best 3 Shot Groups of my Life :lewis:
ruEdLoLl.jpg

This is the Last shot in the Video, The Hit on my Little 8” Gong. It was Starting to get Windy on my Side of the Canyon, And Rain was Starting in. After this Shot, I had to Hurry to keep from Getting Wet. By the Time i got over to my Gong it was POURING Down Rain
ZwH2Z0Xl.jpg

This is All i was able to Find at the Gong, These Little 165 Grain Bullets leaving the Muzzle at 2,725 FPS Would Stil Be DEADLY at 1,100 Yards
A4fbCeZl.jpg

At the Highest Point in the Trajectory Arch/Rainbow above, These Little 165 Grain Bullets were right at 40 FEET Above the Gong, 39 Feet 7 inches to be Exact.

Incredible. Where did you learn to shoot like that, military? I have a 500 yard range at my club and I have a 7mm rem mag with a 3-9 scope. Any idea what the drop would be at 500? Great shooting.

Incredible. Where did you learn to shoot like that, military? I have a 500 yard range at my club and I have a 7mm rem mag with a 3-9 scope. Any idea what the drop would be at 500? Great shooting.

I would need to Know your Bullet Type/Brand, Weight, BC (Ballistic Coefficiency) And the Muzzle Velocity. Without those it’s nothing more than a Guess.

Having owned several 7MM Rem Mags over the Years, and LOTS of Long Range Shooting with them. Here is a “General” idea. Take a 150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet with a G1 BC of .493, Muzzle Velocity of 3,000 FPS

Going off of a 200 Yard Zero. This puts the Bullet 1.5” inch high at 100 Yards (ZERO @ 200 Yards) 6.4” inches Low at 300 Yards, 18.6” inches Low at 400 Yards, and 37.7” inches Low at 500 Yards. Bullet Drop in Feet at 500 Yards would be 3 Feet 8 inches

AMAZING Lew - just Amazing to see you shoot like that! And, without the fouling shot, the results are truly spectacular.

I Stretched the Barrel out on my Little .308 Win the other Day, Stock Remington 700 Rifle, Target was Ranged from Both Sides with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, 1,090, and 1,095 Yards, I Dialed for 1,100 Yards and Shot a 3 Shot Group, over the Hood of my Truck. Shells used were My Handloads, 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets, Hodgdon Varget Powder. Bullets Seated .0025 Jump to The Lands

I need a Piece of Thin 1/4” AR500 Plate for this Kind of Really Long Stuff in order to Hear/See it. My AR500 Plate in the Video here is 20X20” Square, And 1/2” Thick, We are talking HEAVY! Like 60 Pounds! My Cartridge guns at this Distance Just Don’t Stand a Chance at Moving it.

1,100 Yard 3 Shot Group measures 4” inches, For this Distance, this is one of the Best 3 Shot Groups of my Life :lewis:
ruEdLoLl.jpg

This is the Last shot in the Video, The
ny sources about this man,
what evil things he has done to your holy ones in Jerusalem.
And here he has authority from the chief priests
Hit on my Little 8” Gong. It was Starting to get Windy on my Side of the Canyon, And Rain was Starting in. After this Shot, I had to Hurry to keep from Getting Wet. By the Time i got over to my Gong it was POURING Down Rain
ZwH2Z0Xl.jpg

This is All i was able to Find at the Gong, These Little 165 Grain Bullets leaving the Muzzle at 2,725 FPS Would Stil Be DEADLY at 1,100 Yards
A4fbCeZl.jpg

Lewis,

Have a nephew that shoots 1000 yard targets with his guns, uses 308 and 6.5 Creedmore. Said he really likes those two calibers over the larger ones his friends are shooting. He's an ex-Marine Sniper having all the tools they used as well as a truck load of other goodies. I have hunted with a 308 since the late '50s and have never had any issues with that cartridge.

time.moves.jpg

Lewis,

Have a nephew that shoots 1000 yard targets with his guns, uses 308 and 6.5 Creedmore. Said he really likes those two calibers over the larger ones his friends are shooting. He's an ex-Marine Sniper having all the tools they used as well as a truck load of other goodies. I have hunted with a 308 since the late '50s and have never had any issues with that cartridge.

Buck, The Old Saying “From Mice to Moose” Rings True with the Little .308 Win, It is Capable of MUCH more than Many can Begin to imagine. The .308 is a Fun Little Cartridge to Shoot, Something I CAN’T say about my .300 Win Mag, My .300 in it’s Cheap Synthetic/Plastic Stock Kicks like a Mule, It shoots REALLY Good, But it’s NOT Fun to Shoot. At the End of the Day, My Little .308 Winchester will do anything my Magnums will do, And it Does so with less Powder, and Recoil. What’s not to love? I see the Little .308 as a WIN WIN Cartridge 👍

I agree on the .308. The nephew got hooked on the 6.5 Creedmoor with out performing his .308 and less recoil he claims, I've shot both and couldn see that much difference other than the Creedmoor being more expensive to shoot.

Interesting remark from Sean on this site: I know I'm late to this conversation.... I've shot both in competitive matches. The 6.5 has a somewhat flatter trajectory....is it easier at 600- 1000 yards? I guess...I don't think it's all that much better, if better at all.... I've shot 308 for years, in and out of the Marines and putting a few extra moa on 308 just isn't that big a deal, and once you learn to call wind, your calling wind! If you work at it, and get good at it, the round doesn't matter! For me 308, I know it, I've spanked 6.5 guys often!.....what it really boils down to is this: are you employing the fundamentals of marksmanship? How well? Then how often do you actually go out and get time on the gun? Good time!?.....that's what really matters! Again I prefer 308, and enjoy much longer barrel life, and many more load combinations! That's just me......

time.moves.jpg

Latest posts

Back