.32 Crockett Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate coyotes with a passion. I blow them up with my .54. Nobody wants the pelts around here and Colorado coyotes have lousy pelts anyway.

The DOW lets us hunt coyotes all year long in any part of the state with no limits. They want them gone.

LongRifle said:
I am going to order a Crockett rifle, hopefully, this week.  I am also going to attempt to do some predator hunting with mine for foxes, coyotes and small game too.  These rifles have amazing reviews.
You live very close to Masonville/Loveland area, go to the Colorado State Squirrel Shoot Championships in April outside of Masonville, .40 caliber and smaller. Good times and lots of prizes.

I don't "hate" coyotes, they have their place in nature.  But they do, like many other critters, need to be managed.  This is why there are such liberal season rules for them.  The Crockett will do the deed.

Hanshi said:
I don't "hate" coyotes, they have their place in nature.  But they do, like many other critters, need to be managed.  This is why there are such liberal season rules for them.  The Crockett will do the deed.
 I didn't hate them until they took out my dog. I'll kill everyone I see now and then piss on them.

Pete I'm like you on coyotes, they kill any animal (live stock) they can find. And I do same for them whether its a modern rifle or muzzleloader, you should see them roll with a 338 Lapua.​
photo-900x675.jpg

I can imagine what that does to them. Although a .54 PRB leaves a big hole.

Killing all the newborn fawns and elk calves is another reason to not like them. They're no better than rats. Bears do that too. I have respect for cats. They go after the adult deer.
 not helpless babies like coyotes and bears.

Like punching a hole with a 12 guage northwest trade gun, lights out. These big bores turn them inside out......  :eek:  while the .32 and .36's make them just look at you, then walk away.  :x

Even better, I am watching a 36cal pedersoli. Wonder how that 39" barrel would handle from from tree stand lol.

FrontierGander said:
Even better, I am watching a 36cal pedersoli. Wonder how that 39" barrel would handle from from tree stand lol.

It won't be a problem.  For years I hunted from a tree stand with a 42" .50, and I'm quite short.

Hanshi said:
FrontierGander said:

It won't be a problem.  For years I hunted from a tree stand with a 42" .50, and I'm quite short.
Needed the tree stand to load that puppy .....  :cheers:   :lol!:

You want some fun, try loading while laying flat on the ground. Got in a contest where you had to make a dozen shots from behind a log while laying on the ground, then jump up and throw your knife at a man size target 20 feet away.  Hardier than one would think ....  :roll:

FrontierGander said:
:lol!:  Reach out and poke his eye out with it! I don’t think it would be that bad? 

The .36 is an ANIMAL, Here is The HOT end of TC’s Load Data for the Seneca/Cherokee. A 65 Grain Roundball ahead of 60 Grains of 3F is SIZZLING along at 2,150 FPS, Generating 667 Ft lbs of Muzzle Energy, Talk about LIGHTS OUT!! A straight on Chest Shot would Result in another Butt-hole .350 in Diameter :shock:

Idaholewis said:
FrontierGander said:
:lol!:  Reach out and poke his eye out with it! I don’t think it would be that bad? 

The .36 is an ANIMAL, Here is The HOT end of TC’s Load Data for the Seneca/Cherokee. A 65 Grain Roundball ahead of 60 Grains of 3F is SIZZLING along at 2,150 FPS, Generating 667 Ft lbs of Muzzle Energy, Talk about LIGHTS OUT!! A straight on Chest Shot would Result in another Butt-hole .350 in Diameter :shock:
Have used that load for at least 30 years, try it and the report of the muzzle is like a .22 Hornet - WOW.  :affraid:

The Pedersoli I had was a 39" barrel. It was a pain to load even standing up.

60 grains of 3F!  I'll have to try that one out!  A deer killer for sure; ahem, where legal, of course.

Buck Conner said:
LongRifle said:
I am going to order a Crockett rifle, hopefully, this week.  I am also going to attempt to do some predator hunting with mine for foxes, coyotes and small game too.  These rifles have amazing reviews.
You live very close to Masonville/Loveland area, go to the Colorado State Squirrel Shoot Championships in April outside of Masonville, .40 caliber and smaller. Good times and lots of prizes.
That's pretty much where I live.  Yeah, the Buckhorn Skinners put on a shoot twice a year.  I plan on attending this year in the fall. 

So I just ordered the Crockett today.  I need some advice.  Powder type and charge?  What's best?  I currently only have half a pound of Pyrodex Select RS that was given to me that I have been using in my .50. Should I be using a different powder?  The powder was free, so I am not complaining!

My current load is .310 ball, .018 patch, and 20-25 grains of 3f BP. I will be trying 3f 777 shortly, probably 15-20 grains. You’re gonna be in the right ballpark if you use 25 grains of Pyrodex. Once you use up your RS, I’d probably start using Pyrodex P. It’s the 3f equivalent.

Good luck with your Crockett. Did you buy a complete rifle or the kit?

MattRaymond said:
My current load is .310 ball, .018 patch, and 20-25 grains of 3f BP. I will be trying 3f 777 shortly, probably 15-20 grains. You’re gonna be in the right ballpark if you use 25 grains of Pyrodex. Once you use up your RS, I’d probably start using Pyrodex P. It’s the 3f equivalent.

Good luck with your Crockett. Did you buy a complete rifle or the kit?
I bought the complete rifle as my free time is heavily limited right now.

Indeed, the Crockett is a super fun rifle to shoot with and to hunt with.  What amazed me the most about it was the accuracy.  My .36 SMR flinter easily equals it but so far nothing BP that I've shot betters that accuracy.

Back