.32 Crockett Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if its accuracy is anything like my Traditions KLR, then I will be pleased.

LongRifle said:
Well, if its accuracy is anything like my Traditions KLR, then I will be pleased.
The background behind you looks like the hogback on the Devils Backbone west of Loveland. You mentioned the Buckhorn Skinners (a friend and myself started that club in 1973 and the shoot is where I lived for 20 years - family property).

A large percentage of these guns will shoot better than the one holding them.   :lol!:

LongRifle said:
If your Crockett is anything like mine, you will be astonished.

Buck Conner said:
LongRifle said:
The background behind you looks like the hogback on the Devils Backbone west of Loveland. You mentioned the Buckhorn Skinners (a friend and myself started that club in 1973 and the shoot is where I lived for 20 years - family property).

A large percentage of these guns will shoot better than the one holding them.   :lol!:
The background is from up near Red Feather hunting last year.

Received my Crockett today.  It's a beautiful rifle.......except the aluminum ram rod.  Does anyone know where to purchase a wooden ram rod for this rifle?  I will keep the aluminum rod for cleaning.  Kind of a let down...I expected Traditions to be more "traditional" and I don't think they used an aluminum ram rod in the days of Mr. Crockett.  Any help would be appreciated.

I bought mine a long time ago and they came with wood ramrods at that time.  They use the same wood rod as the .36s.

You can order a 48” 5/16 Hickory rod from Track of the Wolf, along with the tips you’ll need. It will be a little too thick as is so you’ll need to file the ends down a bit to reduce the thickness. I chucked mine up in a drill and used a file...you won’t need much. The rod will need to be sanded thinner or scraped thinner. Go slow and only take off a little at a time and keep checking it in the gun. Stop thinning it when it fits snug and slides all the way in. I only used one ram rod tip on mine.

LongRifle said:
The background is from up near Red Feather hunting last year.

Know the area very well use to go to the "Pot Belly Diner" first thing when in the area, had great coffee and food. Always an old timer that would share where he last saw game.

img_0110.jpg

40 caliber Hawken Squirrel rifle by John Bergman. I love shooting it and Im sure it would take out some coyotes.

Thanks Hanshi and Lewis. I was first exposed to one because PL Meek had one. I shot it at the range with him one day and decided I wanted one. Got a hold of Jon Bergmann and he made one for me. Jon builds some good rifles

Matt, I have a factory finished Crockett.   The  fit and finish are excellent, all in all a beautiful rifle. With a six o'clock hold, at 25 yards, it put five shots in a 1" circle, loaded with 20 grains of 3f 777 and a .31 prb.  You will grin so hard it will make your jaws hurt.  Keep yer powder dry...…….robin  :D

This is the only Crockett target I could find without a lengthy search.  The rather bad flier is counted in the group size.  Otherwise, the four shots occupy only a tiny fraction of an inch circle.  

PICT0510.jpg

I've been thinking about buying one but I already have a CVA Squirrel rifle in .32 cal.  These have been discontinued so they're becoming a little scarce.  My local shop has one left, I believe.

Latest posts

Back