350 gr Hornady FPB's & Wolverine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote Cayuga: I would have never guessed the great plains would have done that.

It's that dang hollow point. I don't know why Hornady diccontinued the 410 grain Great Plains with the flat point - an excellent bullet. I guess some people think the hollow point has some advantage, or is sexier looking. But it would be a much better bullet with a good flat point.

Cayuga, I never thought I would ever be able to shoot a group like that with my Omega and a full bore conical. I was thinking about selling the Omega and getting a conical shooter at one time. That thought has passed and selling the Omega is not an option any longer.

I also been playing around with a scope with QD rings and Barnes Spitfire 285 gr. BT with the yellow sabots they come with, and 100 gr BH 209. At 200 yards that round is more accurate then my 30-06 which is scoped. They are a bear to load but that's okay, I'm having a blast and that will be my second rifle season load. This past weekend I shot a few shots at 150 yards with that load and then set up a gallon jug of water on a stump at 206 yards (Nikon range finder) and blew it with the 1st shot. My bro made the same shot with another gallon jug and then his son shot a 32oz bottle at 180 yards with that load out my Omega. I'm stoked and amazed! I think the BH209 has a lot to do with it.

I can get consistent 3" groups at 100 yards and 5" groups at 150 yards with the FPB and 90 gr of BH 209 in my Omega. That is also with a peep sight. I am sure that would tighten up considerably with a scope, but I have never used one. I too nearly abandoned my Omega before finding the FPB. Remember that a 5 to 6 inch group is only 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches from the bullseye.

i personally wouldnt feel comfortable at all with a group like that. That can easily double under field conditions.

Have you tried upping or lowering the charge?

txhunter58 said:
I can get consistent 3" groups at 100 yards and 5" groups at 150 yards with the FPB and 90 gr of BH 209 in my Omega. That is also with a peep sight. I am sure that would tighten up considerably with a scope, but I have never used one. I too nearly abandoned my Omega before finding the FPB. Remember that a 5 to 6 inch group is only 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches from the bullseye.

That's awesome! My next step in testing is to start stepping up my load to see where I start loosing accuracy. I have not shot anything past 50 yards with a scope and the FPB. After shooting at 50 yards I had adjusted my scope for shooting the Barnes and have no idea how it will be with the FPB's now. I should try it just to see.

frontier gander said:
i personally wouldnt feel comfortable at all with a group like that. That can easily double under field conditions.

I promise, I wouldn't try shooting an elk today at 150 yards if I didn't have something to rest on. The gun and the load can do it, I'm the weaker variable without a doubt. Lot's of practice needed before ML season and time is on my side. That is my next step, start increasing my powder until I start loosing accuracy. I would perfer not to go down any. Also, at 150 yards, my front sight covers that target.

frontier gander said:

5 inches at 150 yards is incredible for me and my Omega with open sights. Conditions would have to be perfect for me to even try a shot that far. I realize that there are guys out there who could shoot much better, but I am not one of them. I am very aware of my limitations and try not to exceed them. I have only taken 1 shot over 100 yards in my life with a muzzy.

I tried many different combinations of powders in different amounts and 90 gr of BH 209 was the best in that Omega

Of course, back when I shot powerbelts in my Omega, the best I could do was 5 to 8 inch groups at 100 yards. Talk about not feeling comfortable!

FG, the kill area on a bull is about 20" so even doubling the 7" group he shot will give you bullet impact within 7" of point of aim. While not outstanding, its still minute of bull accuracy.

My back up elk combo is my Knight Disc Elite, FPB, and 110 gr of BH209. I will not hesitate to shoot on elk to 200 yards. I am right at 2 MOA.

frontier gander said:
6" group?

That distance with open sights? You bet I would be happy with that. I've seen some of the groups people post on forums at much closer distances and I wonder what their problems are. Or they shoot one good group and ten bad ones and announce well I finally have it tuned in. What they should say is.. I finally got lucky.

I would have a problem even getting a sight picture at 150 yards. That's one reason I will not shoot that far. But if I could consistently shoot that group at 150 yards.. I'd take the shot.

For instance, I will shoot a ragged hole sometimes at 30 yards. And people tell me, nice shooting. While nice comments are always welcome. :D (keep them coming all, my ego loves it) I always think to myself, 30 yards.. it better be that tight of a group. If not, I would be upset.

wolverine.jpg

Heres a good example. The FPB's show promise. The Sabertooth at that distance.. not good at all. Even the 250 grain, not good. 30 yards is close. 150 yards is 5 times that far. And with open sights... nice shooting.

personally wouldnt feel comfortable at all with a group like that. That can easily double under field conditions.

I am sure you can shoot great groups at 150 yards FG. What do you think your average group is at that distance under a rested position. After all you shot 140 yards at an elk with a roundball. So you must have some idea. But if I could consistently shoot 150 yard open sights 6" inch groups under field conditions.. you really have your load down.

All of my shooting at 150 has to be either off of my shooting sticks or laying down. I took my elk laying down.

Last time i did 150 was with my cva bobcat and mountain stalker. 2" groups @150. I plan on doing some 150yard shooting as soon as i get a sand box set up.

2" groups with open sights at 150 yards is exceptional in my book. I'm tickled to do that off a bench rest at 100 yards with open sights.

If you can concsistently get 2" groups at 150 yards with any muzzleloader/pwd/bullet combination with open sights, you are truly a 1 in 1000 shoter. There are not many that can to that with a rifle, much less a muzzy. I am happy to get a 2 inch group with a rifle and scope at 150. I suspect I could get in the 2-3 inch range with the FPB and a scope, but probably won't ever find out since I only hunt open sight.

Underclocked said:
When I was his age, my eyes were that good too. But that was a long time ago.

Either my eye sight is going bad again in my shooting eye or the wind was drying it out. I could barely make out my 3" bullseye at 100 yards today. Windy as hell. It did keep off the 75* heat though.

Under a 2 1/2" group with the cabelas 45 hawken and the 275gr powerbelt. Next time i go out with my 4" circle.

I cleaned the mtn. stalker and took it out to 150 yards this evening. Heres a 2 & 1/4" 3 shot group From my shooting sticks using 80gr Pyrodex RS and 295gr Powerbelt Aerotips. I know, I have to adjust my sights to the left a bit. I'll do that when i set up a sand bucket.
Going to try the 245's next time.

Picture573.jpg

Semisane said:
Quote Cayuga: I would have never guessed the great plains would have done that.

It's that dang hollow point. I don't know why Hornady diccontinued the 410 grain Great Plains with the flat point - an excellent bullet. I guess some people think the hollow point has some advantage, or is sexier looking. But it would be a much better bullet with a good flat point.

Some people think I'm smoking something when I ask them what ever happened to the 410 Great Plains flat nose. Most say they never made it. I used the 385 Great Plains for a couple years out of my side hammer, but put it away (got an inline). Just recently I was thinking about taking it back out, but using the 410s. I can't find them.

I do use a 270gr 44cal Gold Dot (which is a flat point) with 130gr 777 and love the expansion (a lot of inside damage, but not much meat damage). Very accurate too. My longest shot with it has been 70 yds, but my Dad took a 150lb doe at 160yds (same load).... bone in and bone out, exit hole the size of a quarter, with little meat damage, but a ton of internal damage. She dropped in her tracks.

you shoot these Gold Dots 270's out of your inline or your traditional?

I shot a deer many years ago with a Buffalo Bullet 426 gr conical (if any of you remember them for a .54 caliber). I have never seen ANY rifle, center fire or muzzleloader, that did the damage that bullet did. When my Dad saw the deer hanging in my garage, he asked me why I shot it so many times. I told him that was one hit.

Those buffalo conicals had a slight dimple in the nose, and I hit that shoulder blade on the way in. It looked like some one planted an explosive charge under the other shoulder . That other side was blood shot from the base of the neck to the hind quarter. I never shot another deer with them bullets after that.

The 270gr Gold Dots are out of an inline. Mine is an Encore, and my Dad's is a Lyman Mustang.

My Dad also uses 240gr Gold Dots in his Tyron traditional using 90gr RS with a peep sight. AMAZING accuracy.

Does anyone know where someone might have surplus 50 cal 410gr Great Plains?

Latest posts

Back