36cal Cap N Ball shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Was dying to try out the new targets! I don't have any other pistols other than my 50cal mtn pistol, but I wanted some faster shooting.

CVA .36cal 1851 navy, 15 grains 3f goex, 80gr round ball hand cast,crisco as a chain fire preventer. 12 yards
IMG_3077_zps278e5f1a.jpg

IMG_3082_zps5633e6fb.jpg

IMG_3085_zps9a22be8a.jpg

Jon, the Crisco will keep the fouling soft, but chain fires generally come from loose caps on the nipples.

Just make sure you shave a nice round ring off the ball when loading, and you'll have no worry about a chain fire from that area.

everything was good today with the caps staying on and the lead rings.

I actually took 12 shots at the head portion and only 2 shots missed lol, pretty damn fun and cheap to shoot as far as powder goes.

Wild Bill carried two of them. Even after cartridge guns were available.

Yeah I think many a man bit the dust after being hit by one of them 80gr balls.

Humans are so fragile compared to animals. It doesn't take much to knock us down, and not much more to kill us.

Yeah I don't think humans would have survived in T-Rex's time , we would have been bait.

They can be accurate when loaded right , with my .36 I can keep all 6 shots in a 2" circle at 15 yards with a one hand hold.

Muley said:
Jon, the Crisco will keep the fouling soft, but chain fires generally come from loose caps on the nipples.

Just make sure you shave a nice round ring off the ball when loading, and you'll have no worry about a chain fire from that area.
Just got my new Uberti and am going to shoot this WE. Do I even need to put grease/Crisco in the cylinders if I get a good ring. Is the fouling bad enough that I should. I will be shooting Swiss.

I would. I use a q tip and just wipe a layer around the face of each ball.

Like Pete mentioned in an earlier post the lube will keep the fouling soft but if you blow a lung full of breath through the barrel after 6 shots it accomplishes the same thing without all the mess.

I think 'the mess' makes cleanup easier at the end. It keeps the fouling from hardening after 3 or 4 cylinders full have been shot.

When shooting my Martini Henry or Snider I can shoot nearly the whole day without cleaning if I blow through the barrel , the moisture in one's breath also keeps the fouling soft

drummy said:
Muley said:

Just got my new Uberti and am going to shoot this WE. Do I even need to put grease/Crisco in the cylinders if I get a good ring. Is the fouling bad enough that I should. I will be shooting Swiss.
Shooters quit using crisco or ball lubes to 'prevent chain fires' late in the 20th century.  As already mentioned, a chainfire is more likely from poorly fit caps.  If you use undersized balls, there may be risk, but if you can shave a ring of lead while seating the ball, the seal between ball and cylinder won't allow fire to pass. 

Try using lubed felt wads.  From what I gather, folks here are pretty product heavy, so the Wonder Wads will be what you want.  Otherwise, if you are bold enough to make your own, try paper wads: a square of double ply toilet paper folded with a tiny smear of ball lube or even crisco inside, seated between powder and ball.

That oft-repeated phrase: 'keeps the fouling soft' is misapplied.  Use a lot of lube and coat the forward frame of your revolver & you will get soft fouling, but it's because the lube catches and holds the residue of combustion.  A cleaner frame collects less fouling.  I have fired more than 12 cylinders loaded with paper wads, and never had any appreciable accumulation of fouling, soft or otherwise, and no cylinder seizing.

Back