For those that shoot conicals made of pure lead........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't hold me to it but I've read that bullet diameter has a worse effect on barrel leading than the alloy used. If the bullet is too small in diameter it has more of a tendency to "slip". Especially when pushed too fast. A cast bullet should be .001 to .002 larger than bore diameter for both better accuracy and reduced leading.

Don't hold me to it but I've read that bullet diameter has a worse effect on barrel leading than the alloy used. If the bullet is too small in diameter it has more of a tendency to "slip". Especially when pushed too fast. A cast bullet should be .001 to .002 larger than bore diameter for both better accuracy and reduced leading.
What Clem said not to mention it helps keep the bullet from moving off the charge! I use to shoot White bullets until I found one halfway sticking out of my bore while stalking. My one grandson had his bullet actually fall out of the bore and all he heard was the powder going off when he shot but there was not much powder in the bbl. Since those days a long time ago, I got to casting my own and sized my bullets .001 to .015 larger than my bore.

Hmmm… for target loads and best accuracy I typically size a .001 or .002 under bore diameter and use either an oversized wad or card over powder. Those bullets slide down bore under the weight of the ramrod and I’ve yet to see significant leading with pure lead, or 20 or 30:1 alloy. I do size over bore diameter for hunting loads because I’m leery of a bullet moving off the powder and causing a walnut or worse…

Hmmm… for target loads and best accuracy I typically size a .001 or .002 under bore diameter and use either an oversized wad or card over powder. Those bullets slide down bore under the weight of the ramrod and I’ve yet to see significant leading with pure lead, or 20 or 30:1 alloy. I do size over bore diameter for hunting loads because I’m leery of a bullet moving off the powder and causing a walnut or worse…
I shoot paper patched bullets just under bore dia. but full bore I shoot or size about .002 over bore. Same for my alloyed bullets for my 30-30, 375 Win and 45-70

I agree with you Clem. I size my 451 conicals at 452. I don’t remember the velocities, but I don’t go over 70gr of 3F, or 80gr of 2F. I hope to get to the range soon and for giggles try 65gr of 3F powder to see if my accuracy improves.

Back