For those that shoot conicals made of pure lead........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. I’m beginning to suspect Covid hit Italian manufacturers much harder than we knew or know. Uberti and Pietta have struggled the past years but seem to be able to provide the bread and butter guns now. Pedersoli is a long step up in quality and their workforce may be more highly trained. In which case, replacing the fallen could be much more difficult. Who knows? Might be moot unless manufacturers gear up and offer percussion caps again and I’m not encouraged by what I see on that front…
If only Thompson Center would come back with their old line up of side lock rifles AND the quality they were known for. Someone said (on here?) S&W may sell T/C to an investor group made up of shooters. I don't know. I may never buy an other S&W for what they did to T/C.

I may never buy an other S&W for what they did to T/C.
RIGHT!!
On top of that. I had a model 28-2 highway patrolman that I sent back due to timing issues. They said it was not repairable. It was worn and the factory couldn't repair it? I no longer own any S&W mostly because of what they did to TC.

If only Thompson Center would come back with their old line up of side lock rifles AND the quality they were known for. Someone said (on here?) S&W may sell T/C to an investor group made up of shooters. I don't know. I may never buy an other S&W for what they did to T/C.
Seems to happen all over the world of outdoor sporting equipment, over and over again: US company starts up, builds high quality US made products and gives great customer service, starts off-shoring production, gets bought out by some conglomerate, customer service and everything they sell becomes garbage. Winchester, Wing Archery, TC, Marlin, Remington, Cabelas, Simms (fly fishing waders and clothes).... the list goes on and on.

Seems to happen all over the world of outdoor sporting equipment, over and over again: US company starts up, builds high quality US made products and gives great customer service, starts off-shoring production, gets bought out by some conglomerate, customer service and everything they sell becomes garbage. Winchester, Wing Archery, TC, Marlin, Remington, Cabelas, Simms (fly fishing waders and clothes).... the list goes on and on.
I was really surprised to learn, Ruger owns Marlin. That threw me.
T/C was bought out by S&W to only make in-line rifles. I don't know if S&W had the rifles or just parts made overseas.

I was really surprised to learn, Ruger owns Marlin. That threw me.
T/C was bought out by S&W to only make in-line rifles. I don't know if S&W had the rifles or just parts made overseas.

Remington bought Marlin in about 2008 (if I remember correctly), moved all the antiquated equipment on which Marlins were still being made but didn't move most of the people who knew how to use the equipment, and then tried to continue production. Dismal failure - the Remlins have a poor reputation. Then Remington went down, and Ruger bought the Marlin brand and moved production to somewhere in the South. Too early to tell, but the Ruger Marlins seem to be much better. Supposedly a group of investors who know and love guns bought Remington and are committed to bringing it back.... haven't been following it, but I guess we'll find out.

I don't follow these things very closely.... know about what happened to Marlin only because I decided to buy a .45-70 lever carbine when I moved to Montana - for hunting in timber and for bear protection if I happen to find myself packing meat in grizz country. Ended up with a Henry - another great small American startup - which is a really sweet little rifle. My impression, though, is that Ruger is still very solid, and if so, I'd love to see Ruger buy TC and bring it back....

Remington bought Marlin in about 2008 (if I remember correctly), moved all the antiquated equipment on which Marlins were still being made but didn't move most of the people who knew how to use the equipment, and then tried to continue production. Dismal failure - the Remlins have a poor reputation. Then Remington went down, and Ruger bought the Marlin brand and moved production to somewhere in the South. Too early to tell, but the Ruger Marlins seem to be much better. Supposedly a group of investors who know and love guns bought Remington and are committed to bringing it back.... haven't been following it, but I guess we'll find out.

I don't follow these things very closely.... know about what happened to Marlin only because I decided to buy a .45-70 lever carbine when I moved to Montana - for hunting in timber and for bear protection if I happen to find myself packing meat in grizz country. Ended up with a Henry - another great small American startup - which is a really sweet little rifle. My impression, though, is that Ruger is still very solid, and if so, I'd love to see Ruger buy TC and bring it back....
The .45/70 is a very good woods gun. I own one. It can be hand loaded up just a tad for the Marlin.

I also own a .444SS. That is the best woods gun on the planet. With the Hornady 265gr round, this rifle will kill anything in North America, without issue.

RIGHT!!
On top of that. I had a model 28-2 highway patrolman that I sent back due to timing issues. They said it was not repairable. It was worn and the factory couldn't repair it? I no longer own any S&W mostly because of what they did to TC.
I own one S&W. It's a 1006 10mm. I bought it in the early 90s and had the springs changed to shoot high velocity rounds. It's a great pistol. Too good to get rid of it. Other than that, I sold the rest. I cannot see where in the near or far futute, S&W will have anything I want. Even if they did, I would walk on by.

The .45/70 is a very good woods gun. I own one. It can be hand loaded up just a tad for the Marlin.

I also own a .444SS. That is the best woods gun on the planet. With the Hornady 265gr round, this rifle will kill anything in North America, without issue.
In addition to its heritage, I love the .45-70 because it can be loaded anywhere from 44 mag pistol performance with lots of noise and light recoil... all the way up to an elephant killer which is deadly on both ends. The only thing it won't do is well is ranges over about 175 yards. Your Marlin can probably handle just a tad more oomph than my Henry, but Buffalo Bore now lists the Henry as capable of handling its heaviest loads, and Henry agrees. I'm not gonna push mine too hard... a 350 grain bullet at 1,900 fps will handle a grizz just fine, and a 350 at 1,700 will be just fine for elk in the timber.

In addition to its heritage, I love the .45-70 because it can be loaded anywhere from 44 mag pistol performance with lots of noise and light recoil... all the way up to an elephant killer which is deadly on both ends. The only thing it won't do is well is ranges over about 175 yards. Your Marlin can probably handle just a tad more oomph than my Henry, but Buffalo Bore now lists the Henry as capable of handling its heaviest loads, and Henry agrees. I'm not gonna push mine too hard... a 350 grain bullet at 1,900 fps will handle a grizz just fine, and a 350 at 1,700 will be just fine for elk in the timber.
Ruger made their Model #1 in .45/70. They claimed it could take a hand load almost to the point of a .458 Winchester Magnum. That is a lot of thump.

Ruger made their Model #1 in .45/70. They claimed it could take a hand load almost to the point of a .458 Winchester Magnum. That is a lot of thump.
There's a great story in the .45-70 section of Nosler's Reloading Guide # 6. The author took a Marlin .45-70 to Africa, and shot two Cape Buffalo with it. His first shot went all the way through the shoulders of the bull he shot at - and then killed a cow that was standing behind the bull!

I make my own Maxi Balls that are hard cast. I have no issues with them whatsoever other than they do not expand. Never lost a critter with them as a result, however, the thought of a conical expanding is always welcome.

With that said, I have shot .45 caliber pistol (1911) bullets casted from soft lead by others and they definitely leaded up the barrel. My own .45 hard casted bullets leaded up the barrel little, if any. I did, however, coat the bullets with Alox, which made a huge difference. I am not sure if the speed difference between those rounds and Maxi Ball(s) speed. I know speed can make a difference when shooting lead and leading up a barrel.

Do any of you experience barrels being leaded up from shooting pure lead conicals? If so, what do you use to remove it from the barrel?

Considering the conical must engage the riflings, surely lubing the grooves in the conical will not prevent lead build up in the barrel.

I assume you all coat the conicals with something likin to Alox to help reduce barrel leading?
I have experienced extreme leading in some barrels. I have an Old Army that leaves strips of lead in the bore, or did until Lewis turned me on to his secret lube recipes… Over-powder cards and wads help, paper patching stops leading, (obviousl) a smooth barrel helps too. Every new barrel I get is given the Lee Shaver break in routine. I believe it makes a difference. But I swear by Idaholewis’ modified SPG/Alox/StihlHPSynthetic bullet lube concoction. I started using it a couple years ago and it just stops leading, even in barrels notorious for it. I think he believes the Bullshop NASA lube modified with StihlHP is even better. I’m going to have to shoot up my supply of the SPG stuff before I find out and that will take a while!

I have experienced extreme leading in some barrels. I have an Old Army that leaves strips of lead in the bore, or did until Lewis turned me on to his secret lube recipes… Over-powder cards and wads help, paper patching stops leading, (obviousl) a smooth barrel helps too. Every new barrel I get is given the Lee Shaver break in routine. I believe it makes a difference. But I swear by Idaholewis’ modified SPG/Alox/StihlHPSynthetic bullet lube concoction. I started using it a couple years ago and it just stops leading, even in barrels notorious for it. I think he believes the Bullshop NASA lube modified with StihlHP is even better. I’m going to have to shoot up my supply of the SPG stuff before I find out and that will take a while!
I use his NASA lube recipe and shoot lots of lead bullets. T7 and lead in my ROA. Even a little smokeless powder and lead in a 45/70 conversion. I believe the secret is the Stihl synthetic oil in the lube. I don't thinkI’ll ever use anything else now.

For anyone who’s interested in the super lube…

here’s an entertaining thread from Lewis.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/green-mountain-stainless-45-50-“switch-rig”.36935/page-2#post-321216

The NASA lube price has increased. From an email from Bullshop: "Our bullet lubes are now $35.00 per pound plus shipping. Shipping is $10.00 for up to two pounds or $20.00 for up to eight pounds. Payment is by check, or money order, or cash"

The NASA lube price has increased. From an email from Bullshop: "Our bullet lubes are now $35.00 per pound plus shipping. Shipping is $10.00 for up to two pounds or $20.00 for up to eight pounds. Payment is by check, or money order, or cash"
I’ve never tried the NASA LUBE. Currently SPG is 30.00 per pound. I’m happy with the blend I made up. I added jojoba oil to thin it slightly. i expect I have a couple years supply left.

Is this why you use an alloy?
No, I've only hard cast bullets from wheel weights due to the availability back then. They shoot awesome out of my 1911. What few Maxi Balls I casted was using wheel weights as well. However, most all the ones I have are from my late dad. I am guessing he used wheel weights too back then but I cannot attest to it. All I know is those very by .005 or more and are too tight in my particular ML. The other Maxi Balls I had didn't seem to load nowhere near as hard as the ones I inhearted.

I use his NASA lube recipe and shoot lots of lead bullets. T7 and lead in my ROA. Even a little smokeless powder and lead in a 45/70 conversion. I believe the secret is the Stihl synthetic oil in the lube. I don't thinkI’ll ever use anything else now.
All I use now too. 1 small bottle of Stihl synthetic oil to a pound of NASA gives the perfect consistency for me. Some use 2 bottles of oil but IMO that's too sloppy for me.

Latest posts

Back