..4-11-2015 Day at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:D
Yesterday was a banner day at the range. Temp was around 61*s with no wind and a bright sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky. Great day to be making smoke :!: :!: :!:
Yesterday I tried a few different ideas and they seemed to work for me. Here's how it went.
9k_zpsw3fxsfd9.jpg
2Q_zpsnun6h8sf.jpg
9k%202_zps8hm0jegk.jpg
IMG_1027%20rays%20shooting_zps5jhqmlfd.jpg

1st target...PT GOLD 300'S KNURLED W/Harvester Crushed Sabot
2nd target.. Barnes TE-Z's 290 gr w/ EZ Load Harvester smooth sabot
3rd target..Trophy Coppers 270 gr. (5 SHOTS HERE) 1st and 5th shot were at 6 oclock. The 2nd,3rd and 4th were at 8 oclock. Maybe a pressure thing :?:
4th target.. Mono Flex ML 250 gr. w/ red sabot.................At this time this maybe my hunting bullet this year. Although Barnes weren't bad either.
There only 3 shots at each target except for the Trophy Coppers. The 2 covered holes on the Barnes target was used earlier that morning.
I never adjusted the scope for each bullet. Never swabbed the barrel until I was done but pulled the breech plug to clear it from carbon.
I weigh all my charges. I like consistency and that's why I take the time to weigh each and every charge. They are always all the same. I find that if you fill a volume measurer to say 110 grains and stop, some times if you tap it you can get more powder in the measurer. That won't happen if you weigh the charge. It's the same all the time......... IMHO of course....I know a lot of guys disagree but what ever puts them in the "X" for you and what your happy with I say.........

Ray............. :yeah:

Wow to the Barnes TEZ and Hornady MonoFlex > which gets little or no mention on various ML messageboards.

:(

That's sad considering how accurate they are :!: :!:

Ray.............. :huh?:

BuckDoeHunter said:
Oooops :d'oh!:

Once knew a drunk from Hamtramck that named his Pekingese dog 'Oopsie Daisie'

Long range for me is 125 yards and that's where my Knight Vision and me are headed this week. Odds are my lightweight 185 grain Polymer Tips and 80 grains of Blackhorn aren't going to cut the mustard.

That's what Vegas is betting on this morning.... :huh?: :wall: :puke:

Sorry buddy, :yeah: I thought I had it in there. It was from the 100 yard bench.

Ray..........

hawgslayer said:
Sorry buddy, :yeah: I thought I had it in there. It was from the 100 yard bench.

Ray..........

Thanks Ray - I kinda thought that but wanted to verify... I have been so darn busy I have not had time to get out and do any ML shooting. I have been out and about with the Savage squirrel gun (.17hmr) working them over pretty good. We have an abundant supply of ground squirrels out in the forest meadows and old clearcuts. When I was working for the Forest Service we spent a lot of time and $$ trying to poison them out of the clearcuts. The really like to eat the fresh roots of the newly planted trees. Plus the cattlemen are not to fond of them on the open range.

Main thing is your having fun :!: That's what it's all about :!: :!: :!: You got to get out there before we are on the BROWN SIDE OF THE GRASS :huh?:

Ray............... :yeah:

Going out to the range tomorrow and trying a few bullets at different ranges just to check on the rise and fall. This could be the decision maker for a hunting bullet this season between the MONO FLEX ML .452, 250 GR or the BARNES SPIT FIRE TE-Z's 290 GR with the HARVESTER EZ LOAD SABOT. :think: :think:

That is just some great shooting and even better that so many seem to shoot so straight. If I were you I would note the drop this way if you needed too you could just turn up the elevation and check POI and go hunting. AWESOME

Latest posts

Back