4227... Hum... Hum...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geraldbergeron

Reaction score
Hi,

When I bought Savage 10ML-II, The dealer sold me 4227...

I had 8 misfires on 10 shots...

I follow what your said and bought 4759... Wow..

Savagearms inc should take the 4427 off from their list.

Thank you everybody.............................................Gerald............/

Hi Gerald,
It is off their list, at least in newer manuals. The "book" loads are all excellent in my opinion. I particularily like 42-44g VV-110/250 bullet. 42gs of 4759 should work great also. I have some 4227 really cheap if you want some more :lol: .

geraldbergeron said:
Hi,

Thank you everybody.............................................Gerald............/

I agree that 4227 is not the best choice of all the powders available but it's not as bad as you made it out to be either. I used 4227 for 3 yrs. with only 2 misfires and they were user error. How you got 8 in 10 I can't imagine. :? If you have a clean breech plug, tight fitting sabot/bullet and hot primer(Winchester or Federal) there is NO reason it won't go bang. I have even left 4227 loaded 2 months between muzzleloading seasons and it still went bang. :wink: For the record 4227 is not in the new Savage manual.

dwhunter said:
geraldbergeron said:
Hi,

I agree that 4227 is not the best choice of all the powders available but it's not as bad as you made it out to be either. I used 4227 for 3 yrs. with only 2 misfires and they were user error. How you got 8 in 10 I can't imagine. :? If you have a clean breech plug, tight fitting sabot/bullet and hot primer(Winchester or Federal) there is NO reason it won't go bang. I have even left 4227 loaded 2 months between muzzleloading seasons and it still went bang. :wink: For the record 4227 is not in the new Savage manual.

Hi Dwhunter,

I forgot to say that I usually shoot at temperature of around 10*F, with Fed primer 209 M.

Maybe it is the factor ?

.................................................................Gerald......................../

I've hunted in the teens with no problem. The Federal 209A primer is fine.

When I first bought my Savage the only powder available was 4227. I used it and never had a misfire. I believe you have to have a tight fitting bullet/sabot combination. On the down side I didn't get good groups, but that may be because I hadn't found the right charge weight yet. I went to 4759 and got immediate good results.
Back to the 4227. I had a good supply of 4227 left and was thinking of a way to get rid of it, short of burning. I bought some 200 grain SW's and the proper sabots. They were loose fitting and had misfires gallore. Most times the primer popped the bullet out and left a bunch of unburned powder in the barrel. One time it didn't and I had to take the gun apart to get it out and ended up with a lot of powder in the threads of the breech plug. Wasn't pleased to say the least. This experiment confirmed my original opinion about tight fitting bullets.

Hi everybody,

Is it true that IMR 4227 powder is "ramrod pressure" sensitive ?

What do you think ? Is it the cause of so many misfires (at least for me) ?

Thank you.........................................................Gerald............../

I am betting it is more of a bullet/sabot combination. If they go down your barrel fairly easier than normal, it's a pressure issue.

geraldbergeron said:
Hi everybody,

Is it true that IMR 4227 powder is "ramrod pressure" sensitive ?

What do you think ? Is it the cause of so many misfires (at least for me) ?

Thank you.........................................................Gerald............../

I don't know what "ramrod pressure" really means but Yes, 4227 has contributed to more misfires than all other powders combined in the Savage.

There are much more suitable powders than 4227.

Powder needs to be matched to bullet weight.

If you need help with any powder selection / bullet combo the Savage recommended loads work good for the most part.

If you have special accuracy or speed needs send some of us a PM.

Savage Shooter said:
I don't know what "ramrod pressure" really means but Yes, 4227 has contributed to more misfires than all other powders combined in the Savage.

hHi,

I was just wondering if different pressures made by the ramrod ( vg: 25 pounds or 40 pounds) could explain some problems with 4427 powder, since I was told that it is a powder sensible to pressure.

Is there a physical (or other) explanation for the frequent misfires. What are their causes ?

Anyway, I already change for another powder.

Thany you.................................................Gerald................../

geraldbergeron said:
Savage Shooter said:

hHi,

I was just wondering if different pressures made by the ramrod ( vg: 25 pounds or 40 pounds) could explain some problems with 4427 powder, since I was told that it is a powder sensible to pressure.

Is there a physical (or other) explanation for the frequent misfires. What are their causes ?

Anyway, I already change for another powder.

Thany you.................................................Gerald................../

I am sure that seating pressure has some effect but I tend to think that bullet weight/sabot fit of a particular combo would have a much greater effect on overall ignition pressure available.

Any misfire with any powder can always be traced back to either an ignition problem (hot enough primer or blocked flash hole) or lack of pressure to sustain igniton and burn.

Latest posts

Back