44 0r 45 in Sabot in 5o Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman

Reaction score
I have hunted with a ML'er when the Hawkin was the only thing legal a long time ago the 1-66 twist we used patched round balls then Tony Knight came out with the MK-85 I bought one of the first ones. I tried numerous loads what I found 45 caliber bullets with a sabot shot so much better than a 44 caliber bullet with a sabot in the 1-28 twist any one agree or disagree with this? The first time I used the Knight Deer hunting I missed several deer. Disgusted back to the range shot the rifle with the same load shot great under a 1" group at 100 I just couldn't figure what I was doing wrong. At the range I spoke to one of the other members I explained what was happening he said ML'ers are not like center fire rifles the time it takes for the firing pin to hit the primer is slower than with a rifle so what I was doing was not remaining constant till the ML'er fired Once I started talking to myself I said self aim, squeeze, and follow through. The the Deer started falling to this day I do the very same thing. I have been hunting since I was 11 years old and at 79 still go. But now I hunt with a smokeless ML'er But still like to shoot my 777 guns now BH-209 at the range. Just got another Knight from Carlos the 45 Caliber Mountaineer should arrive any day now so I will scope it with a Leupold I have on hand a VX-3 3.5-10 X 40 I will probably stick to sabots with 40 caliber bullets. I have several Rifle powder guns in the works Remington 700 ML'er w/Brux 45 caliber, a Buffalo Classic 45-70 converted by Cole two Encore 45-70's one 20" converted by Slufoot also a 24" converted by Slufoot Haven't shot any of them yet so I am going to be quite busy using my FF Slufoot die and working up loads for them. I had a bout with sickness and I thought my hunting days had come to an end and I sold my Savage ML'er II Big Mistake but the good Lord willing I'll have a few more years to hunt. I use my ML'ers all the time in Delaware as it's a shotgun only state for Deer When I get all these new guns set up I will post pictures Lou

My Black Diamond and most of my T/C `s have preferred the .44 cal bullets..

Hornady .45 cal. HP-XTPs are strictly low velocity pistol bullets. I learned this by shooting a deer at 50 yards with a BH209 load @ 2100 ft/sec. The bullet blew up on the deer's shoulder. Luckily I had a second chance with my Ruger Old Army and killed it with a round ball with 30 gr. of 3F.

If shooting at high velocities, use .44 bullets or 300 gr. .45 XTP Mags.

Good post Pato....

Signed
Someone that shakes a wee-bit too much upon ignition and sometimes hits shoulders square too.... :oops:

First I would and have used the Harvester Crush Rib sabots in 44 secondly I think you have to drive the 44 harder so they peel back quick like the 45.  Toby Keith did a great article on just this subject.

Clyde said:
First I would and have used the Harvester Crush Rib sabots in 44 secondly I think you have to drive the 44 harder so they peel back quick like the 45.  Toby Keith did a great article on just this subject.
Toby Keith is a C/W singer (and a good one). You were probably thinking of Toby Bridges. (I suffer from CRS myself.)

Back