45 Cal Black Diamond load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcliff

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to muzzleloading.
I purchased a 45 t/c BD xr a little over a year ago and have had problems
getting a load to work well. I've tried t7 and pyrodex 100 gr pellets.These were with varies powerbelts and Hornady 200gr sst sabots. I understand the 1 in 20 twist is not a good thing? Does anyone have info that will help me dial this gun in? Thanks in advance.

All I can say is that my 209x45 encore has a 1in28 twist and it shoots all the bullets that you have tried great ,1" groups at 100 yards . If you can not get it to group call T/C and tell them the problem you are having . In the past I think that they made it right replaced with 50cal . Call customer service and find out .
Sundowner

I have the same rifle, and it's more fussy than my Knight Disc Elite.

But, I've also shot several deer with it. For the first shot out of a clean barrel, the 200 gr Hornady SST and 100 gr of 777 2f or 110 gr of American Pioneer 2f will work fine. Once you fire a shot or 2, the SST's become hard to load, even with wiping between shots. (The American Pioneer seems to foul less than 777) So, it's hard to shoot groups at the range once the gun is dirty. I've gotten 3" 100 yard 3-shot groups with 225 gr Powerbelts and 100 gr of 777 2f.

My next thing to try is the 275 gr Powerbelt and between 80 and 100 gr of 777 2f.

Well thanks to sundowners information, I contacted t/c customer service.
I told them my accuracy problem and once I told the shop tech 1in20 twist.
He said ," oh its a 1in20, let me see if we have anymore barrels." The barrel was sent in today. they don't have anymore 45cal barrels. There going to check out my barrel and probably replace with a 50cal. Hope everything works out like it sounds its going to. That sounds like excellent service to me.
I had owned the gun for 5 years, wow how time flies.

My White Super 91 in .451 cal. has a 1:20 twist and is the hands down most accurate rifle I own and will put 460 gr. conicals in one hole out to 75 yds. and probably 100 yds if I worked on it. The 1:20 twist is optimum in .45 cal. :wink:

Don't know what happened to the TC barrels in 1:20 twist....

replacement barrel

T/C is trying to phase out the .45 caliber. If you send in a .45 for replacement they will send you a .50. My .50 cal encore's shoot the
200 gr. shock waves (.40 cal.) better than the .45 Encore barrel ever did.

Besides the .50 barrel feels 1/2 pound lighter.

Choc-dog

T/C would not replace my 1-20 barrel. They shot it and pronounced it acceptable.

Back