45 cal. Idaho bullet recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane93

Reaction score
I need conical bullets for my knight 45 cal. Ultralight. Having a hard time finding conical bullets. I tried contacting BullShop to no avail. Is there any where else that sells something like 45 Caliber ~ Lyman ~ 457122 ~ 330 grains ~ Gould ~ HP? I have ordered some no excuse 385gr. bullets but would like to try something else. Also is paper patch bullets legal in Idaho? Thanks

Yes paper patch is legal. IdahoRon has a lot of great info on that. We’re you not able to get a response from Bullshop? They have always been very quick to replying to me when I emailed them.

If it is 1 and 20 I would give these a try with wool wad, both 400 gr ,both have shot very accurately in an 18 twist I think they would in a 20 also. Northern precision bullets. If you look on the Northern precision thread just recent last few days you'll also see a 400 grain lead tip with a sharp point I'm very excited about I really think it would be a great elk bullet!

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_182338725.jpg
    IMG_20220726_182338725.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I need conical bullets for my knight 45 cal. Ultralight. Having a hard time finding conical bullets. I tried contacting BullShop to no avail. Is there any where else that sells something like 45 Caliber ~ Lyman ~ 457122 ~ 330 grains ~ Gould ~ HP? I have ordered some no excuse 385gr. bullets but would like to try something else. Also is paper patch bullets legal in Idaho? Thanks
What will you be hunting in Idaho? A 45 would not be legal for elk and a few other large animals. The paper patch is legal.

Muzzleloader Caliber Requirements In any hunt, including general any-weapon seasons and short range hunts, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals with any muzzleloading rifle or musket that is less than .45 caliber for deer, pronghorn, mountain lion or gray wolf; or is less than .50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat or black bear.

Yes paper patch is legal. IdahoRon has a lot of great info on that. We’re you not able to get a response from Bullshop? They have always been very quick to replying to me when I emailed them.
I sent another email and he responded with mailing address. Thank you

Dan offers a 405 HP too. Its not listed in the ML options but he can size them down. Its a 457 bullet. I probably would not go any heavier than 420gr in the Ulite unless you dont mind the recoil. Personally anything larger is more than is needed for deer. Them Goulds will not the snot outta deer at 1300-1400fps MV if shots are under 150.. You dont need much powder to achieve that.

45 Caliber ~ Lee Moulds ~ .457 ~ 405 grains ~ HP

That bullet cast in pure lead should be somewhere around 410-420gr. You could go slightly harder if you wanted but no harder than 30-1 alloy is probably a good idea.

I really think that one in 20 might shoot those Northern precision bullets it would be worth getting some samples and trying I think,, I would give the 300 fury and 325 furies a shot too..

I really think that one in 20 might shoot those Northern precision bullets it would be worth getting some samples and trying I think,, I would give the 300 fury and 325 furies a shot too..
I believe Idaho is lead only during the ML season isnt it?

Legal ID ML Rifle Requirement Summary:

Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
Is free of any electronic devices.
Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

What will you be hunting in Idaho? A 45 would not be legal for elk and a few other large animals. The paper patch is legal.

Muzzleloader Caliber Requirements In any hunt, including general any-weapon seasons and short range hunts, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals with any muzzleloading rifle or musket that is less than .45 caliber for deer, pronghorn, mountain lion or gray wolf; or is less than .50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat or black bear.
Mule Deer!

I have a sizing die and plan on testing some paper patch bullets. Setup williams legend pep sight. What would your recommendations be paper patch bullets vs. Non paper patch? What powder charge weight difference between the two? Pros and cons of each.
I have some of the furys but need to stick with all lead conical for Idaho.

I have a sizing die and plan on testing some paper patch bullets. Setup williams legend pep sight. What would your recommendations be paper patch bullets vs. Non paper patch? What powder charge weight difference between the two? Pros and cons of each.

I have some of the furys but need to stick with all lead conical for Idaho.

My suggestion: Contact Idahoron on this forum - he is a paper patch pro! and also knows a ton about lead conicals.

I do not use paper patch but I do use Bullshop conicals with a wad. His lead bullets are QUALITY!

mike

I have a 1:20 converted .45-70 barrel that shoots very well with 405 gr. home cast bullets from a Lee mold using NASA lube over a wool .50 wad. GT bullets sells a .45-70 385 gr. HP. I've had good luck sizing.45-70 bullets down to .451 for my .45 caliber.

Try the Lyman Volunteer bullet #451114
450gr - 0.451” - long bullet for your fast twist.
It’s a grease groove bullet, no need for Paper Patch. Unless you’re experienced or practice with paper patch - I’d stay away until you’re comfortable as a stripped patch when hunting is an oh-crap feeling.

Latest posts

Back