Recommendation for smokeless muzzleloader hunting bullet.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, now that I have took the plunge into smokeless muzzloading.Can I get some proven recommendations on a 45 call bullet that performs from point blank to 300 or beyond on deer.Im looking for Barnes like performance as I'm a hunter not a target shooter. Fury star tip has been recommended and I am interested in trying them.I would prefer bore riders if possible. I'm shooting Arrowhead 45 cal Brux Encore with a radial brake , 1-20 twist and LRMP rifle primer modules

So, now that I have took the plunge into smokeless muzzloading.Can I get some proven recommendations on a 45 call bullet that performs from point blank to 300 or beyond on deer.Im looking for Barnes like performance as I'm a hunter not a target shooter. Fury star tip has been recommended and I am interested in trying them.I would prefer bore riders if possible. I'm shooting Arrowhead 45 cal Brux Encore with a radial brake , 1-20 twist and LRMP rifle primer modules
Same here only I don't have the Brux barrwl

Attachments

• 20221207_145437.jpg
    20221207_145437.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 1
Fury 275 45 cal smooth sized shot at about 80 yards. Deer was standing broadside and the blood line you see is from the exit. The wound you see is the exit, no bone other than rib hit. Bone hits result in much more dramatic exit wounds.

Attachments

• 20221209_172313.jpg
    20221209_172313.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221209_172435.jpg
    20221209_172435.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
I had a long talk with Mr.Pittman. I got an education in the history os smokeless muzzleloaders. I have personally seen his bullet performance at 157 yards on a big Iowa whitetail. He confirmed what I was looking for was truly not possible. I got to find some middle ground. I think I will use my Mountaineer for woods hunting with Blackhorn.The big Midwest fields I hunt I will save for my smokeless guns.I had already planned on taking my 460 XVR revolver back to Iowa as only two bucks I would even touch my gun there were mid 140s. I was hunting a much larger deer so I just watched them walk 50 yards broadside in front of me.I will be trying the Furys, but I am interested in the Pittman Hardcores also.

Hard pressed to beat the value & performance of Fury Bullets.IMO.
Plus excellent & punctual service.
There are others such as Pittman, Lehigh, Cutting Edge, Thor , Barnes ,etc,etc.
As your aware I assume.

I originally shot Pittman out of my Arrowhead Brux Encore. They shot great. I have since started shooting Barnes TEZ 250 and 290 grainers. They shoot good and perform great on deer. I size them to just fit the bore, then apply a slight knurl. Over top of .460 dry wool wad and 60 gr of 4198. Nothing better.

I originally shot Pittman out of my Arrowhead Brux Encore. They shot great. I have since started shooting Barnes TEZ 250 and 290 grainers. They shoot good and perform great on deer. I size them to just fit the bore, then apply a slight knurl. Over top of .460 dry wool wad and 60 gr of 4198. Nothing better.
Are you not having problems sizing the Solid copper bullet with out annealing it?

Many people here will tell you the greatest thing since sliced bread is what they are using, and all others are worthless.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

We live in a world where many different companies make great bullets. I appreciate all of them.

Thanks for the video! How far was the shot?
It was only about 50 yards.

I had a customer who used the same bullet and load and killed a big buck at 225 yards, He told me he had to throw the shoulder away, because of the damage. I try to shoot the deer in the middle of the ribcage, because I do not eat the ribs.

The jacket of this bullet is very thin. That makes it easy to size, and easy to deform when it hits a deer.

i have a 45 brux barreled patriot being made and i was of the impression i'd have to anneal my TEZ 250s and 290s with a torch befor sizing them . what sizer are you using ? i'm planning on getting Hanks sizer and a lee hand press when i readyo to go full bore .

Hankins sizer would be okay but if you are sizing a hard to size bullet you should get something more than a lee hand held sizer.

I use a Swinglock sizer and a Lee hand press. I ''smooth size'' my bullets. I do not ''full form size''. I use Alox bullet lube. Clean my bullets with 91% alcohol and put a slight knurl on them. The TEZ's are soft enough that they do not need to be annealed. Your Hankin's sizer should work great as well.
I would stay away from trying to size the Hornady Mono Flex bullets. They are so hard that I believe they can damage your sizer.

Back