Recommendation for smokeless muzzleloader hunting bullet.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would need to cut a section of your barrel and have a die made to match your rifling.Then when you load you have to index the bullet with the rifling .
that sounds like money and more work that i want to deal with .
thanks though .

So, now that I have took the plunge into smokeless muzzloading.Can I get some proven recommendations on a 45 call bullet that performs from point blank to 300 or beyond on deer.Im looking for Barnes like performance as I'm a hunter not a target shooter. Fury star tip has been recommended and I am interested in trying them.I would prefer bore riders if possible. I'm shooting Arrowhead 45 cal Brux Encore with a radial brake , 1-20 twist and LRMP rifle primer modules
If I was looking for a load that was good to 300 yds in these break actions. I would be looking at Pittman Bullets AccuMax .402" 228 Grain Hardcore in a HLBS with a wool wad with N110 in the 35 - 38gr range or a duplex of N110 and 4198 but would prefer the straight N110 load.

What velocity, SD and accuracy are you getting with N110? I shoot N570 in my 264WM but have always shot 4198 in my Encore SML.

I had a long talk with Mr.Pittman. I got an education in the history os smokeless muzzleloaders. I have personally seen his bullet performance at 157 yards on a big Iowa whitetail. He confirmed what I was looking for was truly not possible. I got to find some middle ground. I think I will use my Mountaineer for woods hunting with Blackhorn.The big Midwest fields I hunt I will save for my smokeless guns.I had already planned on taking my 460 XVR revolver back to Iowa as only two bucks I would even touch my gun there were mid 140s. I was hunting a much larger deer so I just watched them walk 50 yards broadside in front of me.I will be trying the Furys, but I am interested in the Pittman Hardcores also.
Don't be afraid of the Pittman bullets. They are devastating. I shoot big bodied Iowa deer with them ever year not one has went over 50 yards. I've shot them anywhere from 75 yards to 300 yards. Deer I shot this year was 285 yards quarter away , destroyed heart lungs were jello and off shoulder was broke complete pass through he went 40 yards .

Attachments

• 20220103_194148~2.jpg
    20220103_194148~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PSX_20211024_172006~2.jpg
    PSX_20211024_172006~2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11827.jpeg
    11827.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What velocity, SD and accuracy are you getting with N110? I shoot N570 in my 264WM but have always shot 4198 in my Encore SML.
Never chrono. Probably around 2400.</= MOA at hundred yards.

I would stay away from trying to size the Hornady Mono Flex bullets. They are so hard that I believe they can damage your sizer.
I attempted to full form the .458 Mono Flex's. Started at the zero setting and thought it would never go through with my bench press. I gave up attempting to size it at all. Yes, I also believe they could damage ANY sizer.

Back