45.cal kentucky rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasebaker

Reaction score
i was wondering what the recdoil of a 45. cal kentucky rifle may be. im 15 years old, if you know of a older style muzzleloader that may be bettert.please tell

The older style rifles are not as bad with recoil as the modern inline rifles. That's because mostly of the barrel length and the weight of bullet and powder charge.

A .45 caliber would be rather mild I am guessing. But we have young kids 8 years old shooting .50 & .54 caliber Hawkins rifles. Its all in how you load it. One little guy was so small he could not even hold the rifle up, so we rested in on the railing of the porch and he touched it off. With a big smile on his face he asked if he could shoot again. He was shooting 70 grains of powder and a roundball, which was more then enough to take deer out to 75 yards.

Get a .50 or .54 caliber. You can grow into them and they will do a better job down range. Then just load it light. Even 50 grains of powder and a roundball will be accurate most of the time and deadly out to 50 yards.. on deer size game. Place that ball right and you have your deer.

hey,thanks for the reply it really helped. but i have another question. I've been researching but i couldnt get a definat answer. Is pyrodex ok to use? and should i use ffg or fffg?

And what kind of cleaning supplys do i need to use?
thanks

Recoil in a .45cal Kentucky rifle, expecially with a patched ball, is not bad at all. VERY easy shooting.

I'd use Pyrodex P or Triple Se7en fffg for best results if using a cap.

Because of the fact the rifle is a .45 caliber then you want to use a better grade of powder. I would suggest some Pyrodex P, Triple Se7en 3f, or Goex 3f. If you currently have the 2f powders they will work. What you will find is they fowl the bore faster.

oh,i forget to mention,we purchased the .50 cal. and its a percussion. we have pyrodex RS ffg equivalent. is that ok?

oh, i've been researching, but i still havnt found a definate answer. I dont know to much about percussion ignitions... Am i going to have to buy caps? If so,how long does one last. I'm a little confused on how the Percussion ignition works.

thanks

You know you are right down the road from me?

Pyrodex RS will be perfect. And yes you will need some #11 caps. Dicks has them and Gander Mountain probably does...

What brand/model rifle did you get? What are you going to shoot in it?

lol,yeh. I've been to Athens alot with my dad. He is a state trooper you might know.

I looked at Gander Moutain today and most of their things are for inlines. but i found and bought a few things, .50 cal lead balls,patches,ball starter,etc.

I found one musket cap nipple, is that what i need? and does each cap last for just one shot?

Im getting a Traditions .50 cal Kentucky rifle percussion. It shoots patched lead balls. Im going to be hunting deer size game.

thanks

While the musket nipple and then the musket caps (top hats) work fine, they really are not necessary for a percussion rifle. Pyrodex RS will work just fine in that rifle. A good #11 cap that is normally easy to fine are the CCI Magnum or the Remington 40% hotter. If I had a choice, it would be the CCI Magnum.

A patched roundball has taken a lot of deer. Good luck.

kk,thanks for all the info. Your forum is great and i look foward to using it in the future.

We have a long deer season coming up,I'll try to post a pic of the first one I kill w/ my muzzleloader. :eek:

thanks

Back