.458 dia Barnes "X" bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
Who's got the best prices (including shipping)? I've checked Cabelas, Midway and Natchez.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Scott are you rolling these between files to get them too shoot? I have shot them " as is" with horrible results.

Is stock #457010 still the prefered choice? Grafs show them out of stock!
$25.59 50 Ct. :?:

typical10 said:
Is stock #457010 still the prefered choice? Grafs show them out of stock!
$25.59 50 Ct. :?:

The Barnes #457010 are the Originals and not an "X" bullet.

Is that an X bullet that sshunter is referring to :?:
16.79 pack :?:
It appears someone is off track on which 458 barnes we have been shooting!
#457010 300 gr semi spitzer? Orange MMP sabot.

typical10 said:
It appears someone is off track on which 458 barnes we have been shooting!
#457010 300 gr semi spitzer? Orange MMP sabot.

The bullet I (and others, methinks) have been waiting for is the barnes "original" .458 300gr. semi-spitzer Barnes # ori-457010. The "X"
version is Barnes # x-45802. Barnes is supposed to produce some of the "originals" later this month. I read some chatter about the original shooting better than the "X".

Vince
s.w. Ohio

typical10 said:

Yes, it is an "X" bullet.

From the Graf's website:

BARNES 458 (.458) 300gr X BULLET Spitzer 20/bx
Item Number: BA45802 ? Availability: In stock
Add to Cart Price: $16.79

There are some folks who shoot the Barnes "X" bullet out of their Savages. And then there are those who prefer the Barnes "Originals".

As far as I know the only ones who are shooting the X bullets with accuracy are those that are knurling the bullet. What this does to the BC I am not sure, might be negligible. I am interested if someone is shooting this bullet with accuracy without knurling. This bullet should be an outstanding terminal performer and the BC is excellent. But so far I have had horrible accuracy with this bullet with a variety of powders. Rman

Yup, knurled. I increased the OD by .003" I am ordering the Harvestor "crush rib" sabots for .452 bullets and will try them with the "X" bullets to see if that helps. If not, I'll just knurl them and use them for hogs. The accuracy isn't the best, but the performance can't be beat!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Rifleman said:
As far as I know the only ones who are shooting the X bullets with accuracy are those that are knurling the bullet. What this does to the BC I am not sure, might be negligible. I am interested if someone is shooting this bullet with accuracy without knurling. This bullet should be an outstanding terminal performer and the BC is excellent. But so far I have had horrible accuracy with this bullet with a variety of powders. Rman
I get pretty good accuracy with the 45802 bullet in the SMI with 70g 2015: not quite as good as the 300SST. I used the 458 orange MMP with Barnes and the HPH12 with 300SST. Same powder load. I'm quite sure RonN told me he shoots the Barnes with a HPH24 and that it is managable to get down the barrel. He says this helped accuracy. I haven't tried it as I have no HPH-24s. The Barnes has shot well for me in the Sav with 57g VV-120. I haven't knurled these Barnes.

Gonna be my hog load... It ain't great but it was pretty warm when I shot this group... NOT Knurled..

BX35073gr.jpg

Vensisoneater I noticed that was the 350 gr, it is the 300 gr that won't shoot without knurling.

I haven't tried the 300's yet Dwight. I knurled the .451 SpitFires and will shoot them soon. How did you do with the 350's?

I never shot any 350s Jim, I just didn't see that the BC would be enough to overcome the loss in velocity, flatness of trajectory being the baseline.

Back