50 cal tc scout pistol loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Mike

Reaction score
I'm curious to what people are using in this and what accuracy you your getting

I don't have a Scout pistol but my vintage CVA Mountain Pistol, 50 cal. is dead on with 45 grains (V) 3f Swiss under a 245 grain Hornady PA conical bullet. It also shoots very good with a patched round ball.
I know that those Scouts are supposed to be very accurate. I would say to start with about 20 grains of powder and try a couple different bullets and go from there.

Depending on which powder and bullet weight, I think I'd start with a charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 grains and work upward from that in 5 grain increments. If I had one of the Scouts I'd shoot a bullet somewhere between 200 and 250 grains. I can't imagine the Scout weighing any more than my Optima pistol, or as much really and I think a 300 grain bullet would deliver pretty good recoil coming out of the Scout. T7 3f would be my choice of powder.

Idaholewis had a thread on the Scout pistol, a while ago. The Mighty TC Scout

There is some good baseline info in that thread. A search here may turn up more.

I just won a .50 Scout in an online auction, so I’ll be watching for your results! 😀

There was a thread a while back that covered all of this. I think it reprinted the manual from T/C. I have a .50 cal also. Have not shot it in years.
I have the manual just looking for shot data from other scout shooters.

Depending on which powder and bullet weight, I think I'd start with a charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 grains and work upward from that in 5 grain increments. If I had one of the Scouts I'd shoot a bullet somewhere between 200 and 250 grains. I can't imagine the Scout weighing any more than my Optima pistol, or as much really and I think a 300 grain bullet would deliver pretty good recoil coming out of the Scout. T7 3f would be my choice of powder.
I think the scout is right around 4.6 lbs

My Optima is 4 pounds out of the box. Mine is scoped so there's some extra weight there. I currently weigh my 63 grain charges which are the equivalent to 90 grains by volume and this charge pushes a 225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB. Very effective deer load. Recoil is about like a .44 mag. At 100 grains by volume and a 300 grain XTP the recoil is something to be reckoned with.

I'll just assume that your Scout will behave about the same with the loads mentioned here.

Latest posts

Back