50 or 54?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper

Reaction score
I used to own a .50 Investarm Hawken and I loved it. this was many years ago and had to sell that rifle due to extenuating circumstances. Fast track to a month ago, My new wife recently indicated that she would love to get involved in The traditional percussion side of BP shooting. I found her a TC .50 caliber Hawken in great condition and found a .54 cal TC Hawken for myself. I'm now thinking that we should both be shooting the same caliber to simplify the amount of related gear needed. I'm wondering what advantages, if any, the .54 cal has over the .50 cal or vise versa. You help in this would be very much appreciated.

I used to own a .50 Investarm Hawken and I loved it. this was many years ago and had to sell that rifle due to extenuating circumstances. Fast track to a month ago, My new wife recently indicated that she would love to get involved in The traditional percussion side of BP shooting. I found her a TC .50 caliber Hawken in great condition and found a .54 cal TC Hawken for myself. I'm now thinking that we should both be shooting the same caliber to simplify the amount of related gear needed. I'm wondering what advantages, if any, the .54 cal has over the .50 cal or vise versa. You help in this would be very much appreciated.
Absolutely nothing ,as anyone shooting muzzle loaders knows if you have one caliber you want em all ! Other than a mold it"s all the same equipment and then (on to flinch rocks) and a then twist rates (it never ends) /Ed

I always wanted a .54 for bear and elk. If I only hunted for deer the .50 is fine. This for a PRB. If you use conicals the .50 has more choices for bullets.

My state went stupid and now we have to have a .54 PRB for elk.

Are you going to be shooting round balls or conical bullets? Are the rifles for hunting or target shooting?
I have a minie ball mold for the .54 and I’m actively looking for a .530 RB mold. I’d be using the rifle for both target and hunting, as would my wife with her .50 cal.
My question should be, what caliber would you recommend for both hunting and target shooting? 50 or 54?

What state do you live in? The 50 cal is a popular one, with it being a good standard caliber for deer hunting. Some western states have special rules for elk hunting calibers. Get one of each, then you'll be covered.

I always wanted a .54 for bear and elk. If I only hunted for deer the .50 is fine. This for a PRB. If you use conicals the .50 has more choices for bullets.

My state went stupid and now we have to have a .54 PRB for elk.
When it comes to a PRB bigger is always better for hunting. It doesn't really matter for target. You can always shoot light powder loads.
What Muley Hunter said!!

I have a minie ball mold for the .54 and I’m actively looking for a .530 RB mold. I’d be using the rifle for both target and hunting, as would my wife with her .50 cal.
My question should be, what caliber would you recommend for both hunting and target shooting? 50 or 54?
I don’t think it matters much but if I were hunting with patched balls I’d probably lean towards the .54 but that’s just my opinion. If you’re hunting with conical bullets then I don’t think it matters as much.

BOTH/Ed

i notice little difference in the performance of .50 and .54 caliber round balls on deer and wild hogs. Most of my shots are at distances of <60 yards. On deer i prefer high shoulder or high just behind the shots. That shot interrupts the central nervous system and the deer bang flops. Hogs are shot behind the crook in the front leg, a heart/lung shot.

1616947388355.png

I found that in a T/C Renegade, T/C New Englander, & T/C White Mountain Carbine the .50cal shot flatter than it's .54cal sibling. Shooting patched round balls in each with 100grns of 2F, the .50s (at least the ones I had) were more accurate (on paper) than the .54s....as I had the 3 mentioned models in both .50 cal. & .54cal.

I'm just stating what MY experiences are, Semisane's may be different. I've seen Semisane's posts elsewhere, and this user clearly has experience in this category, SO I'm not going to argue with them.

I found that in a T/C Renegade, T/C New Englander, & T/C White Mountain Carbine the .50cal shot flatter than it's .54cal sibling. Shooting patched round balls in each with 100grns of 2F, the .50s (at least the ones I had) were more accurate (on paper) than the .54s....as I had the 3 mentioned models in both .50 cal. & .54cal.

I'm just stating what MY experiences are, Semisane's may be different. I've seen Semisane's posts elsewhere, and this user clearly has experience in this category, SO I'm not going to argue with them.
You can't shoot them with the same powder loads to compare them. You have to shoot them at the same velocity to compare them. A bigger ball has a better BC but to take advantage of it you have to increase the powder charge.

Elephants have been killed with a round ball. Do you think it was done with a .50 cal?

I had the same question in a thread from the sister forum, and one response solidified my confidence in my Kibler Colonial kit purchase.

"54 has a cool factor that the .50 just cannot rival."

RM

I had the same question in a thread from the sister forum, and one response solidified my confidence in my Kibler Colonial kit purchase.

"54 has a cool factor that the .50 just cannot rival."

RM
Imagine if like me you got a 58 and a 62 ,you'd be beyond cool (HA)/Ed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back