.501" 440 gr mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this mold a couple weeks ago and cast some bullets and they came out nice. I'm planning on taking them out next week and shoot them out of my CVA Accura V2 and/or my 700ML. I haven't shot this heavy a bullet out of my 50s yet and wondering where to start. I was thinking maybe 60 or 70 gr of FFg to start. What say ye?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010200848

I would think 70gr would be a good place to start. If the recoil is too much especially with the CVA rifle then drop down to 60gr.

Idahoron has shot this bullet in the past in his "hotrod hawken" rifles and killed elk and deer. He paper patched them and then sized them to his barrel I believe.

Idahoron has shot this bullet in the past in his "hotrod hawken" rifles and killed elk and deer. He paper patched them and then sized them to his barrel I believe.
It wasn't these bullets. They would have to be sized down to about .493" or .494" then patched to fit a .50 cal. Paper patching needs the bullet about .006-.008" under bore diameter. Ron's Hot Rod is a .45 cal.
I know he paper patched .443" bullets for his Hot Rod

Shguns is correct. Ron shoots that exact bullet in his 50 cal hot rod. He uses a a similar bullet in his 45 hot rod. He sized the 50 down to fit his bore. Any how, I shot that exact bullet paper patched from my.504 white g series a few weeks back. 80 grn Swiss 2f wool wad and the paper patch Lee bullet. Never shot it greased. If it fits it should shoot great. Here’s a picture of the 75 yard group.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpeg
    IMG_1752.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
Following Ron's advise of sizing this bullet after paper patching, I too have shot this bullet from several 50 caliber barrels.

Back