.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH (1:28 Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I decided to test my .54 Cal GM LRH (1:28 Twist) out this morning, This is what i call my “White Whale” Barrel, i spent 2 years searching HARD to find this one, I finally SCORED and found this Brand new unfired barrel on Gunbroker late 1 night on a Buy it now :D This is the only 1 of these .54 LRH Barrels i have ever seen, I had no problems finding the .45s and .50s But this .54 LRH Was a SERIOUS challenge to obtain. I used the Renegade Stock that i bought From Forum member Derfhunter, This will be this Barrel’s Permanent “Bed” I also decided to try my BIG WIDE Meplat Custom PP Bullet (The Parent design for this Bullet was the Lee S&W 500) These were wrapped with 2 Wraps of onion Skin paper and “Ironed” through my .540 Sizer (I had this Bullet made to drop from the Mold at .533) The Cold bore loaded Really NICE N TIGHT, This bullet won’t budge off the powder! But i should have Ran the others through my .539, Even after a good Swabbing After the Cold Bore shot they loaded a little tighter than i like From the Bench. If I decide to hunt with this load i will make sure the Cold Bore is .540, and i run my Reloads through my .539 Sizer

Since this was my first outing with this Barrel in this Stock i chose to shoot closer to 50 yards, Target ended up being 65 Yards. After Loading the 2nd shot i got concerned i would end up pushing a Bullet through the Paper Jacket, i ended up shooting a 3 Shot Group And Calling it Quits, which turned out perfect as my Camera battery Died EXACTLY after my 3rd Shot. It was chilly here this morning, 29 Degrees

[youtube]8FdjgWPJQy0[/youtube]

Few pics of the Bullets, My papers as found 10 feet or there abouts from my Muzzle. And The Target

RZDSkN3.jpg

tdpFQSM.jpg

RGkMHMj.jpg

3 Shot Group was dead on 1” This would make another Good Elk load Option, Decisions Decisions! :D
PiciFro.jpg

Nice video Lewis. Looks like those propane tanks shoot good! Have fun.

Willfish4fud said:
Impressive group. What peep are u using?

I am using a Lyman 57SML Tang peep, With Lyman 17AHB Front Globe sight, and Lee Shavers 17 series BPCR Inserts.

edmehlig said:
If it we’re me I’d use your Renegade with the GM 45 LRH bbl and hunt with your Gould solids! :wink:

Ed, Believe me if it were legal here to Hunt Elk with a .45 Cal i would be doing it! My .45s are by FAR my Favorite Rifles, and The Most Versatile, I shoot bullets from 185 Grains, all the way up to 540 Grains in .45 Cal, But they are not Legal here for Elk. Oh well, it’s a Stupid Law, But yet it Makes good sense, it’s aimed at .45 Cal Patched Roundball shooters, a .45 Cal Roundball weighs 128 Grains Which is ok for Deer, But definitely not a good choice for Elk

I think I recognize that shooting spot. Nice grouping there Lewis. Did you chop off any trees this time? I'm headed out Friday morning to look for a Spike bull. Season opens Saturday. Wall Tent camp in the Cascades all next week.

Harleysboss said:
I think I recognize that shooting spot. Nice grouping there Lewis. Did you chop off any trees this time? I'm headed out Friday morning to look for a Spike bull. Season opens Saturday. Wall Tent camp in the Cascades all next week.

This Shooting Spot should be familiar, Notice the Rocks holding my Target Legs? YOU put those there, Thank ya, they work lovely :D

Good Luck on the Upcoming Elk Hunt, get after em! It’s hard to beat a Good Wall Tent Elk Camp, not sure it’s even Possible

Latest posts

Back