.54 Cal TC Renegade STOCK 1:48 Twist Bullet Test (i Bullet)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I decided to break out one of my Safe Queens and put it to use. Fact is, I am not a Collector of Guns, i am shooter of Guns :lewis:

This is probably the nicest Old Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade i own, it’s an OLDIE! I bought this thing Brand New unfired on another Forum, I put it in the back of my Gun safe with the intentions of never Shooting it, Just keep it New. But the other day I thought Why? So when i Die somebody else can have it? Made no sense? So OUT it Came :lewis: The First thing i did was removed the Factory sights, and installed a new Lyman 57SML Tang Peep Sight, and a Lyman 17AHB Globe Front Sight

Mi6wnqi.jpg

I decided to Test my new 500 Grain ”i“ Bullet in it, Accurate Molds #54-485i
4LfzTXo.jpg

I shot at my same 60 Yard Spot, it’s CRAZY that we don’t have a bunch of Snow yet? I have never seen it like this, this time of year here. Normally this place would be COVERED up in it, DEEP Snow. Oh well, Take advantage of it while i can :lewis:
tn4QPY4.jpg

5 Shot Group, My new “i” Bullet did well in the Ole Stock 1:48 Twist .54 Cal TC Renegade :lewis:
uW0Y5eu.jpg

Couldn't agree more about safe queens. Firearms are meant to be shot. I have to say that Lewis inspired me to try shooting bullets (for the umpteenth time) out of my Renegade because of his video from 6 months ago about 1-48" twist .54 bullet shooting.

Thanks to Lew, Tom at Accurate Molds is being kept busy! :lewis:

Tom Cuts an AWESOME Mold, at a Fair Price :lewis:

Just for the Record, Not that it matters, i just want you guy’s to know. I am NOT getting these Molds at ANY kind of a Discount, I pay the EXACT same thing as you guy’s do. In fact i have never been given any form of a Discount/Deal on a Mold. I have NEVER spoken to Tom any other way than through Email. I have spent a LOT of money at Accurate Molds, feeding my Addiction :D

In short, there is ZERO Shilling here, I am not trying to sell Accurate molds, Etc. If I believe in a Product, i will stand by that Product and tell it EXACTLY how i feel, and How i see it. And on the other Hand, If i think something is Crap? I’m gonna tell ya that i think it’s Crap!! That’s just me, And the way i was brought up to be :lewis:

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more about safe queens. Firearms are meant to be shot. I have to say that Lewis inspired me to try shooting bullets (for the umpteenth time) out of my Renegade because of his video from 6 months ago about 1-48" twist .54 bullet shooting.

These Old Stock 1:48 Twist Rifles shoot REALLY well when Fed the Right stuff. PURE Lead, and a GOOD Proven Bullet Lube, These 1:48s will FLAT OUT SHOOT :lewis: This makes 4 Stock 1:48 Twist TC Hawken & Renegade .54 Cal Barrels i have Tested, EVERYONE of them have Shot just like this one

I truly enjoy your posts and videos when you get these “stock” rifles to group the way they do! Awesome shooting Lewis

Thank you Partner! I enjoy this Stuff :lewis:

To be honest, i was TRULY caught off Guard at how good these Old Stock 1:48 Twist Rifles Shoot, It all started with the .50 Cal Renegade, That Darn thing shot EVERY bit as good as my Green Mountain LRH Barrels, I thought maybe it was a Fluke? But it’s NOT, I have done this with Several of these Stock TC Barrels now, If you feed them the Right stuff, they FLAT OUT SHOOT :lewis:

Great video, keep them coming.!
I have the same rifle, except with stock sights. I had great luck with Hornady Great Plain bullet in .54. I have only a few bullets left, and now that I watched this video, I think I found a replacement.
What is your "good" lube Lewis?

Attachments

• 20200103_180753.jpg
    20200103_180753.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
I have the same rifle, except with stock sights. I had great luck with Hornady Great Plain bullet in .54. I have only a few bullets left, and now that I watched this video, I think I found a replacement.

That particular lube is my ”Tweaked” SPG

To a 1/2 pound of Regular SPG Lube i ad 1 Stick of Lyman Alox Lube, and 1 Small bottle of Stihl HP Ultra (it is a full synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil) In a Double Boiler Setup i melt the SPG, Then Ad the Stihl HP Ultra, and the Stick of Lyman Alox, stir Thoroughly to mix the ingredients.

You DEFINITELY want to use a Double Boiler, Direct heat can SCORCH the Lube. I simply use Jar ringer lids in a Large Pot, ad water til it just covers the Lids, Then place my Lube pot inside :lewis:

I use the regular formula SPG, The one on the right here. The other one is a Much stiffer lube for HIGH Temperature, I avoid that one.
MUTxfQS.jpg

1 of these small bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, designed to mix 1 Gallon of Fuel
4gNHlgI.jpg

And 1 stick of this Lyman Alox
qqs3FvC.jpg

I make my own lubes as well, But in all honesty it’s a PITA, and difficult to keep everything identical from Batch to Batch. Bullet Lube can MAKE or BREAK accuracy. When you find something that works well, It’s import to be able to Duplicate it IDENTICAL each time. For me it was easier to Buy a Good Quality Lube, and Slightly “Tweak” them to my Liking :lewis:

My other Lube that i Swear by is Bullshop’s NASA, This is a Way Better value than the SPG, SPG is fairly expensive Lube (About 40 bucks for a Full pound) Bullshop’s NASA comes in 1 pound Blocks

To 1 pound of Bullshop’s NASA Lube i ad 2 of the Small Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra
yEDgUrR.jpg

Lewis just curious as to why you modify the lubes? I could take a guess but would like to here your reasoning. I've always used NASA lube as is in the 45-70 Springfield using original BP loads and worked fine for my non-target applications. Just sending lead down range.

I guess as I begin my journy into traditional ML and accuracy wanting to uderstand as much as possible. I LOVE the journey but hate re-inventing the wheel LOL.

All right, I showed up a little late for this party but I want to chime In as well.
My lovely wife gave me a T/C Renegade kit in .54 thirty years ago. Mine has had a spot in the back of the gun safe at times and this article has brought it out of hibernation. Years ago, I set it up with a Lyman type tang peep sight to go with the factor front. I had a Winchester rifle with a globe front sight and I found it difficult to hunt with, so I staying with the factory sight. I have a (Lee?) Maxi-Ball mold that forms some 410 grain slugs. This load is almost as accurate as what Lewis is doing when I push them with100 grains of Pyrodex RS. The Missouri MDC Alternative deer season starts tomorrow. I caught the virus last week and I will not participate in an annual group hunt with other In-Liners. The host expects us to produce numerous gut piles for him to predator hunt off of, experimenting with equipment is frowned on heavily. I will be hunting at home with an old friend that hasn't produced venison in a while but I think that he understands what I am asking of him.
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
& Happy Hunting to all!

I tried a LEE mold , I think it is a REAL. A 360 gr. 50 cal. mold for my Encore. It never shot worth a crap. . Honestly, I cant shoot any of my 4 muzzleloaders very well. Even my Hawken with a GM 1/66 barrel with round balls are not all that great. I am sure it is mostly my eyes. I wear glasses . I can see the target crystal clear but then the sights are fuzzy. As for the groups Lewis got from that bullet, I would love to get groups twice the size. I have the same TC Renegade 54 cal. It does have the single trigger however and am also convinced I loos some accuracy with the stiff trigger.

I tried a LEE mold , I think it is a REAL. A 360 gr. 50 cal. mold for my Encore. It never shot worth a crap. . Honestly, I cant shoot any of my 4 muzzleloaders very well. Even my Hawken with a GM 1/66 barrel with round balls are not all that great. I am sure it is mostly my eyes. I wear glasses . I can see the target crystal clear but then the sights are fuzzy. As for the groups Lewis got from that bullet, I would love to get groups twice the size. I have the same TC Renegade 54 cal. It does have the single trigger however and am also convinced I loos some accuracy with the stiff trigger.
Lewis did a tutorial on the T/C single trigger. With a little work it’s a good trigger.

I liked the way Lewis explains it. Super easy to follow his directions. I wish I had read them years ago! I’ve worked over several WMC’s, New Englanders and a High Plains Sporter, various powder burners. My local gunsmith showed me how to do it on a single action Colt. The only thing I do different than Lewis is that I use a couple of fine India stones to polish the surfaces and I didn’t think to measure the engagement from the backside the way Lewis does it. Leave it to me to go the long way around...:think:

Latest posts

Back