.54 Cal TC Renegade STOCK 1:48 Twist Bullet Test (i Bullet)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis just curious as to why you modify the lubes? I could take a guess but would like to here your reasoning. I've always used NASA lube as is in the 45-70 Springfield using original BP loads and worked fine for my non-target applications. Just sending lead down range.

I guess as I begin my journy into traditional ML and accuracy wanting to uderstand as much as possible. I LOVE the journey but hate re-inventing the wheel LOL.

Let’s play the Guessing game Dan :lewis: WITHOUT using my content, lets hear your guess?

I'm thinking it's intended to thin out the original lube? This would ensure conical leaves the muzzle without any lube left and hence no accuracy issues.

That’s some of the reason :lewis: Had you kept reading you would have discovered I use the Stihl HP Ultra to STOP, or Greatly Reduce Leading

How long have you been using Dan’s NASA Lube? Have you had accuracy problems with it the way it comes?

No problems with the lube. I have only used it in 45-70 Springfield and that is a hobby in itself.
Thanks

It works well on it’s own in a Muzzleloader, But in my opinion it’s to stiff, at least for my Liking. Through trial & error i found the perfect thinner to be Stihl HP Ultra, as it Stops, or Greatly reduces barrel leading. I know Dan uses an ingredient in NASA that he claims Stops leading? If i had to bet what it was? i would say it’s a Synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil :) I just don’t feel there’s enough in it. I gave a Good friend, and VERY accomplished BPCR shooter some UNALTERED NASA Lube to Try, He reported back that it Leaded his Rifle just as Bad, maybe Worse than Straight SPG. The Mixture that worked the ABSOLUTE best for him was mine, It GREATLY Reduced Barrel leading in his Rifle, and Accuracy was Good

This was LONG ago, Straight NASA Lubed Bullshop Bullets. These were Bullshop’s 460 Grain .50 Cal Bullets, After these results i had a Mold Made from one of these Bullets Copied as closely as possible

bClQyij.jpg

bz173g5.jpg

My new ”Copied“ Bullshop Bullet Shot darn good as well, i sized these to “Land/Bore ride” (I do that to most of my Target Bullets) for Hunting I would want a Snugger Fit
nCBi9gi.jpg

It works well on it’s own in a Muzzleloader, But in my opinion it’s to stiff, at least for my Liking. Through trial & error i found the perfect thinner to be Stihl HP Ultra, as it Stops, or Greatly reduces barrel leading. I know Dan uses an ingredient in NASA that he claims Stops leading? If i had to bet what it was? i would say it’s a Synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil :) I just don’t feel there’s enough in it. I gave a Good friend, and VERY accomplished BPCR shooter some UNALTERED NASA Lube to Try, He reported back that it Leaded his Rifle just as Bad, maybe Worse than Straight SPG. The Mixture that worked the ABSOLUTE best for him was mine, It GREATLY Reduced Barrel leading in his Rifle, and Accuracy was Good
Following your advice, I've purchased NASA lube and the Stihl oil, and I'm getting ready to cook up a batch. Hopefully it will fix the bad leading issues that cropped up with a new-to-me bullet design. Some questions first, though. Are there any drawbacks to your thinner type lube? I know you are primarily a target shooter, but how about hunting with it? Any problems with it sitting in the rifle for several days, or long term storage issues, or melting when target shooting in hot weather, etc?

I'll let Lewis answer for himself but I can tell you I made a batch myself using his recipe and poured it into a mold and it set up . You might think when he says thinner that it may be runny and that is not the case. I haven't used in hot weather but dought it will cause problems.

Following your advice, I've purchased NASA lube and the Stihl oil, and I'm getting ready to cook up a batch. Hopefully it will fix the bad leading issues that cropped up with a new-to-me bullet design. Some questions first, though. Are there any drawbacks to your thinner type lube? I know you are primarily a target shooter, but how about hunting with it? Any problems with it sitting in the rifle for several days, or long term storage issues, or melting when target shooting in hot weather, etc?

No problems at all, NASA is a STIFF Lube, It is stil PLENTY Stiff after adding 2 of these little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, It changes it very little. You will see what i mean :lewis:

I even took this last Batch 1 Step further, after adding the 2 Little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, I filled one of the Bottles to the very top with Peanut Oil, To me it’s ABSOLUTELY Perfect. Peanut Oil is an AWESOME ingredient, it acts as a “Hydrator”

Even after adding Peanut Oil, it’s stil Plenty stiff. The ONLY time I would be at all concerned is in REALLY Hot weather. In that case, the Stiffer Lube would be Better. I am in a Colder Climate, a Thinner Lube has always been Superior in my Testing. Though Rare, I do Shoot in temps as high as 80-90 Degrees in the Summer Months, But i am usually in the Shade on those Rare occasions, without Direct Sunshine on my Barrel. If you hunt in a Desert type environment, with Direct Sun on your Barrel? No Lube is gonna Hold real well in a Situation like that, The Stiffer the better in a case like that

atfZdsl.jpg

I melted down a Box of these Hornady Great Plains Bullets, and Cast them Back of my new .54 Cal ”i Bullets” Lubed & Sized to .542 :lewis:
k9Y5dkB.jpg

As you can see from the Lube in the Grooves above, it holds very well :lewis: And that is 2 of the Little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, With 1 of them Filled back up to the very Top with Peanut Oil and added. This is to 1 Pound of NASA.

I am not telling Folks to add the Peanut Oil, But i did, and you can see it didn’t hurt anything ;) I prefer a thinner Lube. I have this Stuff PERFECT at this point, for my Liking anyway :lewis:

No problems at all, NASA is a STIFF Lube, It is stil PLENTY Stiff after adding 2 of these little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, It changes it very little. You will see what i mean :lewis:

I even took this last Batch 1 Step further, after adding the 2 Little Bottles of Stihl HP Ultra, I filled one of the Bottles to the very top with Peanut Oil, To me it’s ABSOLUTELY Perfect. Peanut Oil is an AWESOME ingredient, it acts as a “Hydrator”

Even after adding Peanut Oil, it’s stil Plenty stiff. The ONLY time I would be at all concerned is in REALLY Hot weather. In that case, the Stiffer Lube would be Better. I am in a Colder Climate, a Thinner Lube has always been Superior in my Testing. Though Rare, I do Shoot in temps as high as 80-90 Degrees in the Summer Months, But i am usually in the Shade on those Rare occasions, without Direct Sunshine on my Barrel. If you hunt in a Desert type environment, with Direct Sun on your Barrel? No Lube is gonna Hold real well in a Situation like that, The Stiffer the better in a case like that

atfZdsl.jpg

I melted down a Box of these Hornady Great Plains Bullets, and Cast them Back of my new .54 Cal ”i Bullets” Lubed & Sized to .542 :lewis:
k9Y5dkB.jpg
Thanks Lewis, that's just what I needed to know. I'll give it a try.

Thanks Lewis, that's just what I needed to know. I'll give it a try.

Make sure you use a Double Boiler setup when Melting Bullet Lube, or a make shift setup. Direct heat can EASILY Scorch the Lube

I use a Make Shift setup, Just an Old Thrift Store, Junk Pan. I place Jar ringers in, Just barely cover them with Water, Then i ad my Lube Pan, it obviously sits on the Ringer Lids. I run at Medium Heat, maybe a little above medium
zPOxIqK.jpg

nIxboBY.jpg

My next step in the process of trying to make my own bullets is lubing them and I believe that I with try your new and improved lube right away. Gets a bit cool up in at times also. Thanks for the great information.

atfZdsl.jpg

k9Y5dkB.jpg

Tell me more about these "i bullets"...did you design them? They look like some pretty heavy hitters. How do they shoot?

Nevermind, I just found the first half of this thread!

It’s a DARN GOOD Bullet :lewis: I designed it, .45 Cal 1st, then .50 & .54, They all Shoot EXTREMELY well, From my Fast Twist Bullet Barrels, to my 1:48 Twist Stock TC Rifles

It’s a DARN GOOD Bullet :lewis: I designed it, .45 Cal 1st, then .50 & .54, They all Shoot EXTREMELY well, From my Fast Twist Bullet Barrels, to my 1:48 Twist Stock TC Rifles

Think they would give similar results in my 1:48 stock Investarms (Cabela's) Hawken?

Think they would give similar results in my 1:48 stock Investarms (Cabela's) Hawken?

I don’t see why not? I would bet that it would shoot these “i” Bullets every bit as well as my TC’s, I had a .54 Cal Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” Rifle, it was made by “Investarms“ It shot All of Bullets VERY well, That was my Only memorable experience with an “investarm“ Rifle.

I had a .58 Cal Cabelas Hawken (Made by Investarms) This was Several Years ago, I didn’t shoot it enough to get to know it? I traded it for a .54 Cal TC Hawken

Make sure you use a Double Boiler setup when Melting Bullet Lube, or a make shift setup. Direct heat can EASILY Scorch the Lube

I use a Make Shift setup, Just an Old Thrift Store, Junk Pan. I place Jar ringers in, Just barely cover them with Water, Then i ad my Lube Pan, it obviously sits on the Ringer Lids. I run at Medium Heat, maybe a little above medium
zPOxIqK.jpg

nIxboBY.jpg
I put up a batch of the secret sauce lube... lovely color, and when I left it overnight in the shop it shrank so much that it was rattling around in the mason jar. Can’t wait to see how it works with a Ruger Old army. This one has a notoriously bad leading barrel.

I put up a batch of the secret sauce lube... lovely color, and when I left it overnight in the shop it shrank so much that it was rattling around in the mason jar. Can’t wait to see how it works with a Ruger Old army. This one has a notoriously bad leading barrel.
Ive recently started oiling my ROAs barrels with that Stihl Ultra oil between shooting sessions. As well as using it for bullet lube. Seems to be working well. No lead in these two barrels.

Back