.54 Lyman Great Plains Rifle shooters.............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Please list the loads you all are using with round ball. Type of powder, grains, patch and lube.

Also, please list the results you are getting from the above.

In my Lyman 54 cal. GPR I am using 80 grains of 2f, .018" pillow ticking patch, TOW Mink Oil lube, with a .530 ball. Results vary from tight groups at 50 yards to 2 inches at 50 yards. I forgot what I got at 70 yards but it was good enough to go hunt deer with. I never shot it at 100 yards...yet. I just figure 100 yards is to much of a gamble for my eyes and iron sights. I proved that yesterday shooting my late Dad's 50 cal. New Englander. Tight groups to 70 yards and wide open at 100 yards.

In my Lyman 54 cal. GPR I am using 80 grains of 2f, .018" pillow ticking patch, TOW Mink Oil lube, with a .530 ball. Results vary from tight groups at 50 yards to 2 inches at 50 yards. I forgot what I got at 70 yards but it was good enough to go hunt deer with. I never shot it at 100 yards...yet. I just figure 100 yards is to much of a gamble for my eyes and iron sights. I proved that yesterday shooting my late Dad's 50 cal. New Englander. Tight groups to 70 yards and wide open at 100 yards.

I sometimes have the same results with my New Englander at 100 yards. I am now convinced that it shoots much more accurately out to 100 yards than my old eyes can see.

Hoping that some how my .54 GPR will be a bit better. I too, have .530 RB and .018 ticking. Hope to find out soon.

Latest posts

Back