58 is Dialed in!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Trying a new experiment with the rougher textured size of the patch gripping the ball, My results were pretty decent.

90gr Sheutzen 2f
.562" ball
.020" eastern maine patches
TOW Mink oil patch lube
50 yards

This new patch loads a good deal tighter than with the ox yoke patches so that most likely have something to do with the accuracy and how it shrunk over some of my previous groups.

IMG_2184_zps5ff29627.jpg

Added 2 more shots with the lowest being the hardest to load due to fouling build up.
IMG_2185_zpsb6ea37aa.jpg

Cleaning the bore with mr flintlocks patch lube and upping the charge to 100 grains, I took 4 shots and smiled, filed my front sight down a wee bit more and fired the final 5th round. She should be perfect at 100 yards now.
IMG_2189_zpsdf888582.jpg

4 out of 5 patches recovered from the 90gr charges looked excellent,
IMG_2187_zpsb49e7742.jpg

not yet! I have some new plywood backer board that I will make a frame for and see if i can get 37-40" of adjustment. If its around there at 100 yards it should be perfect for 200.

Better use big targets with those sights. Most guys can't shoot good groups at 200yds with a scope.

Remember Ron's targets?  :D 

oh no a 3" bulls eye like the target above works good. I some times use the 4" black  bulls eye on white back ground for a little help though.

You might have to put a 4ftx8ft sheet of plywood on it's end and put the target at the top to determine where those ball are going at 200.....

FrontierGander said:
oh no a 3" bulls eye like the target above works good.
Says someone with exceptionally good eyesight!  :blah:  How in the world are you seeing a 3" dot at 200 yards with the naked eye?   :roll: 

The front post on my ARs completely covers a 10" target at 200 yards.

At 200 yards the crosshair junction + completely covers a 1" dot on my 10 power Sightron Big Sky scope. I have to use 2" dots for any kind of precision aiming.

His answer will be he uses a 6 o'clock hold Mark. Keep in mind Jon wears glasses.

There's also a big difference between shooting a white target with a black bull from a bench, and shooting an animal in the field at 200yds.

I wouldn't recommend a 200yd shot when someone is using a scope. Let alone primitive sights with a PRB. A .58 PRB at that which has no fps.

This is foolish Jon. Get closer.

:D 
Pete,

In your opinion what would be the max ranges with:

.50 cal.... 90 grains 2F Goex with a 32" barrel.........
.54 cal.....90 grains 2F Goex with a 28" barrel........
.58 cal.....90 grains 2F Goex with a 32" barrel.........

I am new with the side locks as you know and I plan on hunting the '14 deer season with my .58 Hawken.

Thanks,
Ray......... :thumbs up:

Ray with a .50 PRB not much further than 60-70 yards ( the ball only carry about 400 lbs/ft at 100)....with the .54 PRB around 120 yards ( the ball will be at around 500 lbs/ft at 100) and the .58 PRB not further than 130 yards  (the ball will be at around 570 lbs/ft at 100)

It's different for everybody Ray. It's not so much the power of the gun, but how far can you be accurate with the primitive sights? This would include shooting from field positions, and with wind. The wind really blows around a PRB.

Of course the power of the PRB has to be taken into consideration too. The PRB loses power very fast, because of such a poor BC. Generally, the sights are the limiting factor. This is why I hate to see a scope on a sidelock when a PRB is used. It's too easy to take longs shots that the PRB has no business doing.

So, the first thing for you to do is see what a comfortable distance is for you to shoot primitive sights. Make sure it's not from a bench.

I do use 6 o clock hold but seeing a deer or especially and elk at 200 yards is a whole lot easier to see than a 3 - 4" circle on a target lol.

54 - 58cal will be in the same category as far and effective range goes, The 54 actually has better ballistics than the 58 or even the 50.

I dropped my elk at 146-48 yards,I forget which, with the 54cal cva mountain rifle and simple patched round ball, AND only 80 grains Pyrodex RS. She made it 60 yards with a good blood trail from a lung shot.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Thanks gents for the info on those distances. I'll try the 100 with all of them and see how I do and then the 130 yard bench. Once I see how accurate they are off the bench then I'll go without the bench.

Thanks again, Pete, Jon and Spitfire :hats off: 

Ray............. :thumbs up:

FrontierGander said:
I do use 6 o clock hold but seeing a deer or especially and elk at 200 yards is a whole lot easier to see than a 3 - 4" circle on a target lol.

54 - 58cal will be in the same category as far and effective range goes, The 54 actually has better ballistics than the 58 or even the 50.

I dropped my elk at 146-48 yards,I forget which, with the 54cal cva mountain rifle and simple patched round ball, AND only 80 grains Pyrodex RS. She made it 60 yards with a good blood trail from a lung shot.
We're talking about the kill zone. Not the whole animal.

Sorry, but the .54 has better ballistics.

I shot a cow at 70 yds with 80gr of Swiss in a .54, and the ball barely made it to the 2nd lung. 148yds??

thats what i said, the 54 does have better ballistics as far as drop goes.

146 - 148 it was a long shot on the side of a mountain but I had a laying down position so that helped a lot, An elk at that distance was like a buick parked at 75 yards lol. The round ball penetrated both lungs and took them out big time. I was pretty impressed with the amount of spider web cracks in the lungs i found when i gutted her.

Are you talking about a cow? You were lucky you didn't hit a rib.

btw You edited your post.  :clown: 

nope says theres been no edit, you just are a scan reader  :pete slap: 

I believe i did hit a rib on the way in but its been so long, remembering that in detail is just impossible. Or I may have slipped it in between, i ferget which.

Latest posts

Back