... 58 is ready ............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
8) 
Yesterday was a great day to be out at the range. It was about 63*s when I got there, 0815 and the the sun was hidden behind the grey clouds. Very little wind if any at all and no skeeters. Made for a good outing. I was shooting my 58 cal with 70/75 grains of OE, a .018 patch with Jonathan's anti rust and lube along with a Hornady .570 lead ball and to get it all going, CCI MAGNUM percussion caps <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a>. This is how it went..............
IMG_1983_zpsci2qs4p1.jpg
IMG_1986_zpsbkrmhwgi.jpg

I started out by covering up as many holes as I could on this target that was down range. Someone was shooting a 22 at it and it wasn't to bad so I decided to make bigger holes in it.
Target on the left were my 1st 3 shoots with a cold rifle, I did fire off 1 cap to make sure the nipple was dry, and they hit exactly where I wanted them.
Target on the right is my last 7 shots with a fouled barrel which I never swabbed. (That **** Jonathan's makes is some great stuff). Just to make things clear, the 2 stickers on the target on the right at 9 o'clock are holding brown the edge of the target under the red target. I didn't get it over far enough.
So between the first 3 and the last 7, I shot 10 more RB's at the steel plates down range. All my shooting was done from the 50 and I was using my Caldwell rest I got from Carlos.
That's 20 shot's without swabbing and I didn't have to fight to get that last ball down the barrel either. I did notice that the last 4 shots where starting to go left a little. ( Maybe I should have swabbed at 15 rds who knows ).
All in all, for me it was a great morning and I have no problem shooting at a deer out to 100 yards this season. I'll just have to raise that front sight blade up a few inches and squeeze it off. :Red tup:
I collected some patches after I shot but forget to take a pic or two but I came so they were perfect. None were burnt or torn or had any holes. They did just have the round dark circle on them.

Ray................ GOOD HUNTING EVERYBODY :!: :!: :!: :!:

Good luck Ray.

Now, don't change your mind at the last minute and switch guns. Use the .58.

Pete,
That .58 is the only one I'm bringing for the first 2 seasons, 7 days. I'll bring my inline along the last 3 days of the season if don't tag one with in the first 7 days with my 58. If I'm blessed with a deer early in the season, I won't bring the in line at all and stay with my Hawken.

Ray...........

The only way to make the .58 work for you is to have it be the only gun you bring.

When I fly fish I use only dry flies. The only way I got good at fishing with them was to only have dry flies with me. It's too easy to go to a 2nd choice if it's available. Same thing with your inline. Over the years I was surprised how I could get the dry flies to work when they shouldn't have. At least I used to think they wouldn't work. I don't think that way anymore. I know I can get them to work.

You'll get that .58 to work all the time too if you just stay with it. It won't ever be as easy as a scoped inline, but so what? A challenge is more rewarding. Long shots will no longer be an option. It will teach you to get closer. That's hunting. Not just shooting. Commit to it Ray. The one gun hunter is a good hunter. I wish I had your .58. I'd hunt the hell out of it.

Ok, i'm done preaching. Have fun with whatever you do.

Pete,
Like I said, I'm bringing the .58 for the first 7 days. After that there's only 3 days left that the weather may be bearable and 6 days when it will be unbearable. I'm only going to load it up on the last day of the ML'er season. After that it's home ward bound for the year.
I'll have my .58 for 9 days and the inline for 1 this season. If I get one within the first two seasons, the inline will stay at home and I'll continue to hunt with the .58 until the season is over for me. I won't have it out there with me at all.

Ray.............

Good Luck Ray. I hope you nail one with the 58. I carried mine all season and like you I love the 58. I have a very close friend who has a couple of 54's I told him prior to the season your not hunting with no 54 and I gave him my Hawken in 58. He now has a 58 and he loves that gun. He had a good chance prior to the season to shoot it and get aquainted with it. Now you cant pry it out of his hands. 58's are kick ass in my book. Al

BigAl52,
I like that 58 a lot and if another came my way at the right time I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. GOOD HUNTING AL.

Ray............ :Red tup:

Great shooting!  I see you got the fever.  Good choice with the .58, I love my  .58 too.  I'm bringing mine to deer camp this year during the center fire rifle season.

;)
Thanks for the replies gents. Have a great season all.........

Ray............. :Red tup:

Been looking at a CVA for quite sometime in 58. They had this one for quite a while. Today I gave it a new home Ray. I decided to buy on on your recommendation. I hope mine shoots as good as yours. Oh and by they way the do have a second one. Al

Ray
There asking 425.00 and its at Gun Works in Oregon. They give you a 3 day inspection and they check it over before its put up for sale to make sure everything is working. Im sure its more than what you paid for the one you have but I kind of look at it this way the 58 cal market isnt real plentiful so I just pulled the trigger on one of them. Al       http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=4984&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

Great shooting Ray. You know I'm not a traditionalist but a good job is just that regardless of the gun. Good luck & enjoy being back out there

Greg

img_0326.jpg

Ray the new 58 made it to my house it looks real good cant wait to shoot it. Al

8)
She sure is a good looker :!: :!:  Hope she shoots as well. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics.

Ray.................. :Red tup:

Back