777 Firestar pellets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
My brother who is new to muzzleloaders picked up Hodgdon 777 firestar pellets last night for his 2005 CVA optima. I sure hope they work because tomorrow starts our 4 day muzzy season. Anyone try these yet? We will be sighting the rifle in tonight, but I'm just wondering how much of a PITA this is going to be with a different style of pellets?

For those who are upset he is sighting the rifle in the day before... The rifle was given to him for Christmas and we just got a scope and rings yesterday. He's shot the rifle and hunted with it before but we upgraded some things.

He picked these up last night and he's hunting tomorrow? I hope he has time to check his zero.

Are you positive three pellets is only 100 grains and not 150 grains? The only way to test them is at the range....

Never mind, just checked an your correct three of the firestar pellets is 100 gr. not like the round pellets.

The new pellets are 3 for 100gr equivalent BUT those 3 pellets weigh more than 2 of the old pellets and its the exact same propellant. So your brother is off to hunt with an unknown load. He will be shooting about 12gr more powder than he was if he was using the old pellets with no idea how that is going to effect his accuracy?
1g5vpjW.jpg

MSDS dated 2018
P2Dhf8G.png

OLEG1wq.png

Sort of like going to Wal Mart the night before gun season and everyone is there buying guns to go hunting with the next day.

dbowling said:
Sort of like going to Wal Mart the night before gun season and everyone is there buying guns to go hunting with the next day.
:lol: :lol: I was trying to be nice, thanks for sayin it!!

dragonfly said:
He picked these up last night and he's hunting tomorrow? I hope he has time to check his zero.
Yes. I gave him a muzzleloader for Christmas and he didn't think he would be able to go, but plans changed. We are sighting in the rifle tonight.

GM54-120 said:
The new pellets are 3 for 100gr equivalent BUT those 3 pellets weigh more than 2 of the old pellets and its the exact same propellant. So your brother is off to hunt with an unknown load. He will be shooting about 12gr more powder than he was if he was using the old pellets with no idea how that is going to effect his accuracy?
1g5vpjW.jpg

MSDS dated 2018
P2Dhf8G.png

OLEG1wq.png
We are sighting it in tonight with the new pellets. I was just curious if anyone had issues getting these pellets to shoot well. If the gun isn't sighted in tonight he will take mine in the morning and I will sight his in tomorrow morning.

toytruck said:
dbowling said:
:lol: :lol: I was trying to be nice
New Years Resolution? :mrgreen:

Wow, I would not hunt with anything I have not shot prior to the season, and that is everything I own even if it was dead on when I put it away

dwm said:
Wow, I would not hunt with anything I have not shot prior to the season, and that is everything I own even if it was dead on when I put it away
Once again we are shooting the rifle tonight to make sure everything is good and he is hunting for the next 4 days. Again, he is not going out there with a rifle that we don't know where it hits. We are sighting in tonight. I gave him the rifle for Christmas so that gives 2 weeks to mount a scope and zero it. No way to sight in before season.

It's a bit of a quick turn, but as long as y'all can sight it in, get a few groups at various distances to verify how it shoots, it's worth a shot (so to speak). Probably not enough time to dial in long range loads, but most of my deer have been taken at under 30 yards anyway... kind of hard to not find something that would shoot adequately under 50 yards.

dwm said:
don't know that I would go that far....If I had reason to believe a scope was bumped an might be off then sure. I have done that while cleaning and checked the zero before hunting, still dead on, but made me feel better.

I haven't shot my White .451 except at deer in two year seasons now. I killed two deer last season (2017) and three this past season (2018) all were dead an shot where I aimed, so I see no reason to change anything. I do use fresh powder in the speed loaders tho...

The Optima V2 will have to go to the range this year before hunting again as its still loaded until I take her out. The speed loaders are two seasons old now and the container of BH209 is almost empty, will finish it off, an have to make sure the next container I open will shoot at the same POI.

Back