A legal everywhere muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
Questions pop up on here quite often about the best inline for certain states. A lot of states have different rules on what’s legal or not. Open sights, .50 minimum, no sabots, no smokeless, etc. What would be the ideal ML that would comply with all the rules that you could just grab an hunt anywhere?

DISC Extreme can be setup to be legal anywhere. On the upper end the Colorado legal Knight Ultra Lite and Mountaineer can also be setup for PACNW regs.

Any 50Cal or bigger that is percussion or Flintlock, that black powder or its substitute is used.
The other obstacle is the Conical you use or PRB. Some Conicals are not allowed unless they
are a certain length vs Diameter ratio. This varies by state.

Some Conicals are not allowed unless they
are a certain length vs Diameter ratio.
That regulation makes about as much sense as spitting into the wind.

Not sure where the law makers come up with that logic.

Are you suggesting having only 1 muzzleloader? OMG
Man I hope I never get to a point of only having one. It’s was more of a hypothetical question to get a conversation going. I’ve tried being a one gun person but I like having different tools for different tasks.

I just finished sighting in my CVA Optima V2 Northwest edition for elk season. 100yds 80g T7 Thor 297gr. conicals. Peep sight. 1”-2” groupings. Pretty darn happy with it so far. Next week will be it’s first hunt.
Prior to this gun I used my TC Hawkins 50 cal.

Living here in Montana, I can tell you that their description is a bit off as it doesn't include using percussion cap (only) in weapon restricted areas. The 209 primer cap is legal all other places. In weapon restricted areas only patched round ball or lead conical's are allowed (no sabots). You have to watch these off sites that quote what is or isn't legal. If you want to see what is legal for Montana here is our regs from our FWP, or call them to get the latest scoop (406) 752-5501

Questions pop up on here quite often about the best inline for certain states. A lot of states have different rules on what’s legal or not. Open sights, .50 minimum, no sabots, no smokeless, etc. What would be the ideal ML that would comply with all the rules that you could just grab an hunt anywhere?

I have a couple of Knight MK85's. They have nipples that use #11 caps. They are legal in all the states around and including Idaho.

7MAWVW8.jpg

The bullet I use is the Lee 500 S&W bullet paper patched and sized.
From what I know of the length limits of bullets in some states is the length can not be more than double the width. These bullets are .496 in diameter times that by 2 is .992" the actual length is .900 so these bullets are shorter than the length x2.

H1Jkg7v.jpg

To my knowledge since I use Pyrodex P this gun and load should be good to go in every state besides one that requires a PRB.

Knight DISC Extreme! On sale at Knight for $349

Western-DISC-Extreme.jpg

This pic same rifle mounted in a Knight Kevlar stock

20-4-20-HDISC-325-Shoot.jpg

I believe in Oregon you are only allowed musket caps with an open something or other. Check out CVAs Northwest models

Latest posts

Back