A modern flintlock setup for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a deer stalker for probably a decade or more. . .It is a shorter gun, light, shoots conicals, Sabots,
or roundballs. very nicely. They are not an expensive gun.
I usually run about 100 grains for a sabot or Conical, and about 70 grains for a round ball because of the
twist. I believe the twist is 1:45. Killed many a deer with it, out to about 100 yards.

It is actually my main gun that I shoot with, because as I get older, the carrying of a heavier gun gets to
be heavier as I age. It is also easy to swing around. It is about as long as a shot gun or a 22 rifle.

I have a T/C firestorm .50 cal. you can use pyrodex pellets in them, you still have to use 3for 4f to prime. 1;:48 twist for round ball or conicals. Maxi balls shoot well in them. PM me I will give you a deal.
Nit Wit

Just read this and thought I would reply. I have a Traditions PA Pellet. I just bought it a few weeks ago. Cost was within your budget. This rifle is a modern sporterized flint lock that conforms to PA game rules. It is lightweight and should be easy to maneuver hunting in blind,treestand or stalking. Fit and finish is very good and if something breaks replacement parts are available. This is not a custom made rifle but dosent cost like one either. I have it sighted in using sabots and it will get the job done hopefully this season. The really nice thing about this rifle is it has a an easy to remove breech plug so it cleans like a inline. It also has a protective coating on barrel to help with rust. Just wanted to share. Good luck with your decision.

I've got a .50 caliber CVA St. Louis Hawken flintlock that has a 1:48" twist. Set triggers, browned barrel
Referred to as a moderate twist that will stabilize conicals and still allow use of patched round ball.
CVA HAWKEN flintlock sm.jpg
Bad lighting for photography

Last edited:
Just read this and thought I would reply. I have a Traditions PA Pellet. I just bought it a few weeks ago. Cost was within your budget. This rifle is a modern sporterized flint lock that conforms to PA game rules. It is lightweight and should be easy to maneuver hunting in blind,treestand or stalking. Fit and finish is very good and if something breaks replacement parts are available. This is not a custom made rifle but dosent cost like one either. I have it sighted in using sabots and it will get the job done hopefully this season. The really nice thing about this rifle is it has a an easy to remove breech plug so it cleans like a inline. It also has a protective coating on barrel to help with rust. Just wanted to share. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for the response, I’m thinking of going with a tc firestorm as I don’t want a super fast twist because I want to use conicals as they’re so much cheaper than sabots and power belts

Round balls can also be shot out of a fast twist but the powder charge needs to be lowered.

You've got a few problems to work through Ethan.

If you want to shoot sabots you will want a faster twist barrel than what's found on most flintlocks. The round ball shooting flinters typically have a rate of twist of 1:66, 1:70 or 1:72. That slow twist will not shoot sabots well.

The Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a twist of 1:32, which so far as I know is the fastest twist available in a production flintlock. The Lyman guns are excellent but typically above your $500 target. Also, they are hard to find at this time.

Thompson Center made flintlocks in 1:48 twist. That rate of twist can handle some sabot loads fairly well, but take some experimentation with the bullet/sabot/powder charge to get satisfactory results. However TC discontinued production of those so you'll have to search the used market for one.

Traditions makes a 1:48 twist flintlock that is under $500, though not of the quality of either Lyman or TC. Check out the rifles at Graf & Sons. Rifles - Muzzleloading - Graf & Sons

Your second problem is wishing to use black powder subs. Most work poorly or don't work at all in a flintlock. To assure acceptable ignition with subs it's usually necessary to duplex the load, with about five grains of real black powder as an igniter under the sub (i.e. load 5 gr. of black, then X grains of the sub, then the bullet. It's almost a certainty you will need real black powder in the pan. I know of no sub that will reliably ignite in the pan by the flint strike.

Flintlocks with real black powder and patched round balls kill deer reliably and have done so for hundreds of years. If your hunting situation typically presents shots in the range of 100 yards or less I recommend you give traditional flintlocking a try.
I ended up buying a Lyman Deerstalker!

The RMC Accusporter Flintlock Muzzleloader sounds like what you need. It seems to fit all the criteria you want with the exception of price.
It has a 1-28'' twist Green Mountain barrel. Can shoot just about anything from conicals to sabots. It even has a removable breach plug for easy cleanup.
They are made in your home state of Pennsyltucky exclusively for the Pennsylvania flinch-lock season. Everyone I know who owns one, seems to love them.
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-accusporter-flintlock-rifle/

Last edited:
The RMC Accusporter Flintlock Muzzleloader sounds like what you need. It seems to fit all the criteria you want with the exception of price.
It has a 1-28'' twist Green Mountain barrel. Can shoot just about anything from conicals to sabots. It even has a removable breach plug for easy cleanup.
They are made in your home state of Pennsyltucky exclusively for the Pennsylvania flinch-lock season. Everyone I know who owns one, seems to love them.
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-accusporter-flintlock-rifle/

Now that’s NEAT!! I had never seen, nor heard of these til now? I can’t find where it say’s 1:28 Twist? If i was in the market for a Flintlock this is EXACTLY what I would buy, HIGH Quality components, Green Mountain Barrels, L&R Locks. SUPER COOL!!

You are right Lewis. I can't see the 1-28'' twist either. However these guns are known for their 1-28'' twist GM barrels and removable plugs.

Morris Muzzleloading & Gun Shop
added 3 new photos to the album: Flintlock life.

October 3, 2018 ·

🔥
RMC ACCUSPORTERS
🔥

-50cal
-1:28 twist (perfect for sabots)
-laminate stock
-24” barrel
-green mountain barrel
-L&R competition series lock
-fiber optic sights
-wedge screw instead of a wedge pin
-removable breech plug
-made in Pennsylvania and hand fit

55 Comments
2 Shares

Comment

Last edited:
Very interesting, I never heard of them before either but a quick internet search shows people talking above them back in 2005 . All but one say they are a 1:28 twist. One fellow said he had a 1:48.

A week or so a go someone was asking if there were any Green Mountain LRH barrels in flint lock. Well here you go. I am surprised that I found none of these RMC's set up for percussion.

The one thing that jumps out at me is they don’t have a Set Trigger, That would be a BUMMER for me Target Shooting, I am SO spoiled with Super light set triggers that a Regular single trigger is a Killer on me to get use to, In fact I Can’t make myself like a Single trigger pull. Even 2 pounds is WAY to heavy for my Liking, i want mid to high Ounces, 1 Pound MAX

From my search, they seem to have originally had double set triggers but changed with a new owner. The" EC load muzzle "sounds suspiciously like QLA.

Back