Accuracy and Nipples

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, before I ask this question I did some searching on the forum but, I didn't find anything specific to the question so, if it is on here and I missed it, please direct me that way. Anyway a curious question here. Has anyone noticed changes in accuracy with different nipple manufacturers?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Hey all,

So, before I ask this question I did some searching on the forum but, I didn't find anything specific to the question so, if it is on here and I missed it, please direct me that way. Anyway a curious question here. Has anyone noticed changes in accuracy with different nipple manufacturers?

Thanks in advance
Rob
Yes and no. Generally if using Black Powder you want nipples with orifice no larger than .028” if shooting bullets. Manufacturer isn’t really important.

Yes and no. Generally if using Black Powder you want nipples with orifice no larger than .028” if shooting bullets. Manufacturer isn’t really important.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am shooting Real Black powder. 90 grians of 2f swiss. I have some gauge pins coming so I can measure what I have now. My old nipple was shooting fine other then my hammer blowing back. After replacing the nipple my groups opened up 3 times the size of what they usually are. All other components are the same.

Rob

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am shooting Real Black powder. 90 grians of 2f swiss. I have some gauge pins coming so I can measure what I have now. My old nipple was shooting fine other then my hammer blowing back. After replacing the nipple my groups opened up 3 times the size of what they usually are. All other components are the same.

Rob

Rob
You know that can not happen if you use a Mag Spark adapter . It is enclosed and use 209 primers (all I Use) in my side locks and it's a sealed system and a back up if you run out of caps . Nipples are my 2nd choice , no enlarged channel from gas cutting/back pressure and water proof if that helps when hunting

I have noticed that Tresco nipples are misfiring fiends in my Hawken and Renegade.
They're fine in my Firehawk though. In fact, by the time the nipples are burnt out in the Firehawk, they're fine in the Hawken and Renegade.

I have noticed that Tresco nipples are misfiring fiends in my Hawken and Renegade.
They're fine in my Firehawk though. In fact, by the time the nipples are burnt out in the Firehawk, they're fine in the Hawken and Renegade.

Is this with the stock Barrel setup? I did order some of these, but haven't tried them yet. I will let you know how they work for me. I will use them in my Rice Barrel.

I was always under the impression of the flash hole is larger than .034, accuracy gets worse and blow back increases?

My gauge pins showed up at the house, so tonight I will be able to tell what I have on both old and new. Very curious, I mean I could of had a crap day at the range, but all of my shots felt solid and good.

Yup, stock barrel. The Renegade barrel has the older communication and clean out screw.
The Hawken has the later style. I am very particular about cleaning my rifles. Especially in this area.
I have a couple Knight red hot nipples that have larger apertures and throats than the Trescos. They look to be the same material, but the package says stainless steel.
Next time the sidelocks go out, it'll be with the Knights.

Alright here we are and here is what I found out. First pic is the new nipple I used Sunday. Second is the new Treso I got today and third is the original that I have been using.20230412_182727.jpg20230412_183318.jpg20230412_183514.jpg

I drill out the Treso Ampco nipples to about .032 for use with subs in my Whites on the advice of Idaholewis and others on this forum. The Tresos are supposed to be just right from the factory for BP. And I have to rework the Tresos a little to get the #11 caps to fit just right.

I drill out the Treso Ampco nipples to about .032 for use with subs in my Whites on the advice of Idaholewis and others on this forum. The Tresos are supposed to be just right from the factory for BP. And I have to rework the Tresos a little to get the #11 caps to fit just right.
Will see how Sunday goes with the new Treso in there. I haven't put a cap on it yet, anything I should pay attention to in specific with the cap fitment?

Rob

Will see how Sunday goes with the new Treso in there. I haven't put a cap on it yet, anything I should pay attention to in specific with the cap fitment?

Rob
I would test-fit a cap and check to see how the fit is before you get to the range. You may want to follow Ron’s technique of peening the end a little if the caps are too loose. If too tight you may want to sand/file down a little.

Last edited:
Ron, as always great video. Just curious as to what size a flash hole is before it is considered too large. I thought if it's larger than .034 you should replace it.

Ron, as always great video. Just curious as to what size a flash hole is before it is considered too large. I thought if it's larger than .034 you should replace it.
Mine shot fine at .032 but it would blow the hammer back on firing. I read that when it blows back its time to replace it. Someone correct me if I am off on my comments.

Rob

Latest posts

Back