Changing Rear Peep Sights and holes in the Tang

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built this base. It is made out of aluminum so it was easy to work with and was perfect for getting more distance out of my existing sight.

Q4zSinq.jpg
Interesting, Ron. Just yesterday I was considering trying the same thing for my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I have a TC peep but the aft of the mount does not sit flush with the tang. It will most likely have to be somewhat of a wedge shape.

Do you mind telling me how much they cost?

Finding the invoice was surprising. I thought the order was over 600.
The picture is my full order. I'm sure prices have increased.
If you notice on the invoice. There is no Item information. At the time I ordered it the Ferriss adjustable globe front sight with level was not on the web page. Sounds like it is still MIA.
The Hadley eye cup is very much worth getting as well.

Attachments

• 20230128_093051.jpg
    20230128_093051.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 2
Interesting, Ron. Just yesterday I was considering trying the same thing for my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I have a TC peep but the aft of the mount does not sit flush with the tang. It will most likely have to be somewhat of a wedge shape.

That one in the picture is a wedge shaped to make the elevator raise and lower correctly.

At the time I ordered it the Ferriss adjustable globe front sight with level was not on the web page. Sounds like it is still MIA.
The Hadley eye cup is very much worth getting as well.
I have the Hadley Eye Cups.
I have barrels I switch out on a single stock. Eventually, I'll have a stock for each barrel, but that isn't a concern for me right now. Swapping barrels means my horizontal windage, L-R, changes every time I swap.
An adjustable front sight keeps the rear sight from having to be adjusted for the horizontal and I can have elevation marks on the FP-Hawken for the changes in elevation for each barrel.

The Fariss has two adjustments for windage. Why?

The top two knobs retain the level.

The bottom two are pushers for the sight. So you loosen one side and push the sight with the other side. Once it is in place the knob that was loosened is tightened.

Attachments

• 20201229_182303.jpg
    20201229_182303.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 0
I wish I had that kind of talent. I don't. Making mistakes is a learning process. I can no longer afford the cost learning that way.

The aluminum I used was a piece I found at a recycling center
I doubt I have a couple dollars and s little time.

Is that rear tang screw a wood screw or is it a machine screw?
I might have a piece of aluminum that might do that. How wide is the sight base and tang? How long between the rear screw and the forward screw?

Back