Changing Rear Peep Sights and holes in the Tang

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to comment but IdahoRon beat me to it and I can't see anything of value to add to his comments.

I put a Lee Shaver front sight and a lyman 57SML on my Pedersoli Missouri River. As much as it is nice, I should have heeded the late and great Idaholewis advice and not changed the front sight. Elevation to get zero at 100y is a pain.

I still had to have the taller front sight for mine. It is a fariss front sight.
iZKjOSm.jpg

fx2Ekio.jpg
do you have a snap of the mounting location on your Mid range sight base?

Five inches of snow cancelled range time. The range is up on a mountain and it's worse there.

I wanted to check and see if I have been correctly using the FP-Hawken. When I'm sighting in a rifle, I loosen the Elevation & Windage screws just slightly and use the target knobs to adjust the sight. If I remember correctly, the Gib Lock has to be loosened to change elevation. I would tighten everything up when I'm done. I wasn't loosening and tightening the Locking Screws every time I made an adjustment.
Is this the correct way to use the sight? So, now I'm questioning myself. Should I tighten the locking screws after each adjustment?

Five inches of snow cancelled range time. The range is up on a mountain and it's worse there.

I wanted to check and see if I have been correctly using the FP-Hawken. When I'm sighting in a rifle, I loosen the Elevation & Windage screws just slightly and use the target knobs to adjust the sight. If I remember correctly, the Gib Lock has to be loosened to change elevation. I would tighten everything up when I'm done. I wasn't loosening and tightening the Locking Screws every time I made an adjustment.
Is this the correct way to use the sight? So, now I'm questioning myself. Should I tighten the locking screws after each adjustment?
I loosen the elevation locking screw ever so slightly. Enough that I can change elevation with the Target knob and then I lock down the Target Gib Lock Screw. I don’t generally fuss with windage in the field other than to call Kentucky windage. If I don’t think I can handle that much windage it might be too windy/to far for shooting at game.

BTW, the screw that you removed is known as the Gib Lock Screw. For a while I wondered why Lewis was buying a Gib Lock Screw since the sights come with it installed. Then he posted a picture of what he was talking about. Ahhh… the lights come on..

For a while I wondered why Lewis was buying a Gib Lock Screw since the sights come with it installed. Then he posted a picture of what he was talking about. Ahhh… the lights come on..
Please enlighten me on Lewis' buying a Gib Lock screw.
I don't recall removing a screw or it being the Gib Lock. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Please enlighten me on Lewis' buying a Gib Lock screw.
I don't recall removing a screw or it being the Gib Lock. I'm not sure what you're referring to.
The screw which locks down the elevator in its dovetail mortise is called a gib lock screw. Here it’s screwed into the small silver bushing.041B3EC6-11EC-4DE2-9EE4-EF5DF0A8E889.jpeg

Williams sells a version of it called the Target Gib Lock Screw to be used in the Target version of the FP sights, like this:2AA4AFA0-1557-4406-8482-B90307FDA8A9.jpeg

Lewis brought this up a few years ago but Williams has been makin them a long time. It makes a great sight even better. Why it’s not standard I do not know…

Williams sells a version of it called the Target Gib Lock Screw to be used in the Target version
I buy the FP with the target knobs for a reason, and the Gib Lock knob should be part of it.
This is a let down for for me on Williams. I have been touting how great their sight is over the Lyman and now I find out Williams intentionally leaves out a target knob for their profit.
To my knowledge, Lyman would never have done this.

Last edited:
The screw which locks down the elevator in its dovetail mortise is called a gib lock screw. Here it’s screwed into the small silver bushing.View attachment 30468

Williams sells a version of it called the Target Gib Lock Screw to be used in the Target version of the FP sights, like this:View attachment 30469

Lewis brought this up a few years ago but Williams has been makin them a long time. It makes a great sight even better. Why it’s not standard I do not know…
Ive never been able to get one thru Williams, Ive always had to buy the gib lock knob from Brownells. And it always comes in one of Brownells little yellow baggies, so i assumed that Williams didn't even make them.

I buy the FP with the target knobs for a reason, and the Gib Lock knob should be part of it.
This is a let down for for me on Williams. I have been touting how great their sight is over the Lyman and now I find out Williams intentionally leaves out a target knob for their profit.
Same here. Should be part of the TK FP…

[QUOTE="Bad Karma, post: 529295, member:

[/QUOTE]

I was actually the one that showed these to Lewis. My friend Mike showed them to me i think in 2014.
At the time I ordered mine from Williams. These were a screw for a rifle. I was thinking a Marlin 39? I can't remember.

Last edited:

That's what I was telling you. Williams should have been including these with the sight. While it's not a deal breaker it is something that was left out. Without the Gib Lock screw field adjustment was very slow and required a screw driver.

That's what I was telling you. Williams should have been including these with the sight. While it's not a deal breaker it is something that was left out. Without the Gib Lock screw field adjustment was very slow and required a screw driver.
Yessir, not having it defeats the purpose of the other knobs.

Yessir, not having it defeats the purpose of the other knobs.
Yes, it does. It also makes Williams look 2nd rate.
Williams Gun Sight could have added the Gib Lock Knob to their cost for an extra $3, added another $5 to retail cost, and still been $45 less than the 57SML.

I wrote an a different thread:
"A company will produce and sell what the customer will buy. The quality of the product is related to the amount of respect the company has for its customers."

If the function of the sight is not impaired from the Gib Lock Kbob, and it must not be, or you all wouldn't be using it, then Williams doesn't have needed level of respect for its customers to put one on its target version.

Last edited:
Yes, it does. It also makes Williams look 2nd rate.
Williams Gun Sight could have added the Gib Lock Knob to their cost for an extra $3, added another $5 to retail cost, and still been $45 less than the 57SML.

I wrote an a different thread:
"A company will produce and sell what the customer will buy. The quality of the product is related to the amount of respect the company has for its customers."

Williams doesn't have needed or level of respect for its customers to put a Gib Lock Knob on its target version.
Maybe we just need to let them know. I believe reviews can be left on their sight. Im going to try to do that tonight

Back