Accuracy and Nipples

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine shot fine at .032 but it would blow the hammer back on firing. I read that when it blows back its time to replace it. Someone correct me if I am off on my comments.

Rob
Every rifle follows general rules there also each one a law unto itself… if you are maintaining accuracy with a larger orifice I would say everything is fine. Until you start blowing the hammer back. That’s definitely a problem for the lock and sooner or later will damage something.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am shooting Real Black powder. 90 grians of 2f swiss. I have some gauge pins coming so I can measure what I have now. My old nipple was shooting fine other then my hammer blowing back. After replacing the nipple my groups opened up 3 times the size of what they usually are. All other components are the same.

Rob
You might try 1.5f Swiss also. I prefer it in my side locks 45 caliber and over.

Every rifle follows general rules there also each one a law unto itself… if you are maintaining accuracy with a larger orifice I would say everything is fine. Until you start blowing the hammer back. That’s definitely a problem for the lock and sooner or later will damage something.

Couldn't agree more, what works for me might not for you and so on. What started all this was the blow back. So, I figured well Nipples are cheap and I would replace it. Never thought that it would alter anything doing that, but just over a year into the ML scene and still have a lot to learn. I haven't shot any of my CF stuff in sometime now.

What a great afternoon at the range. The new Treso ampco nipple worked amazing. Not one blow back today and accuracy was on point. Shot 5 individual groups today 3 of them where below an inch and 2 right about 1.25 inches. I believe ignition was faster as well, at least it seemed to be.

What a great afternoon at the range. The new Treso ampco nipple worked amazing. Not one blow back today and accuracy was on point. Shot 5 individual groups today 3 of them where below an inch and 2 right about 1.25 inches. I believe ignition was faster as well, at least it seemed to be.
They really are that important. Treso are as durable as nipples get. Short of spending 70 bucks on a platinum lined cone…

It’s worth noting that if you’re not using high pressure loads, (long for the caliber heavy bullets over heavy charges of energetic powders) you might use a nipple for a few years without significant erosion.) Keep an eye on it but don’t just rush out and drop $70 on a nipple if you don’t need to. Patched ball shooters will often get years out of a nipple, especially if they shoot moderate loads in big bore rifles.

Back