Accuracy Test! cva Apex - Bi Pod Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got the Apex and the Muzzy barrel set up last night and this morning i went out with 90gr BH209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and the 295gr HP Powerbelts. This load is amazing in this rifle!

First 3 shots on the new bi pod @ 100 yards left me giggling like a fat boy that just found a twinky in his pocket.
DSCN1827.jpg

Center bulls eye is 1" diameter just to give you an idea on the actual group size.
DSCN1996.jpg

After shot #3 which is touching shot #1, the rifle just fell down " luckily i had my hand around the forearm" and i figured maybe something just popped loose. Only worse,
:affraid:
DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1995.jpg

Luckily though i had a spare from when the FFL Holder forgot to give me the original box along with the forearm, CVA Send me another forearm just in case the FFL holder had lost the original.

Any kind of warning with the bipod to not use in a plastic stock?

Why not call them up and ask them?

Give me the phone number, and i'll do it.

no, just looked through everything and didnt see any warnings about syn. stocks.

That was simply awesome shooting FG in the field :!: :twisted:

I hate to say it, but it's a good thing your forearm broke when it did. That's exactly why field testing is so important before you try something new on an actual hunt.

Since it was the CVA that broke, I'm likely to side with the product that did not. There was a time not too long ago when all stocks were made of wood...and for good reason.

nut.jpg

Is that nut what was holding the swivel stud in the forearm? So it was actually pulled through the plastic by forces exerted by the bipod?

Perhaps one can install a fender washer to spread the force over more plastic. Maybe a little carving with a dremel, and the fender washer can clear the barrel, and be epoxied into the forearm. The fender washer might be able to keep the swivel from pulling through, and allow the use of the bipod on your CVA rifles.

Ron, thats a great point! I will have to take a look at that area tonight.

But yes, thats the CVA Sling Stud & bolt - nut that broke through.

Marty, darn right i'd like a wood stock by now! :lol:

With a little more testing and looking over more carefully, hopefully i can find how to fix this. The bi pod was awesome! The type of accuracy i pulled today the first time on it, showed that its damn near as solid to shoot off of as my lead sled.

I'm afraid to try this with an Omega. It's sealed on the inside. I don't know if there's a nut or not? I'm thinking no if it's sealed. I'd end up buying a bipod I can't use, and a broken stock. :cry:

I agree that a washer and some epoxy bedding would do the trick.....as long as the rest of the stock held up..... :|

I have always been in favor of natures bipod....find the closest tree or rock..... :lol:

The synthetic stocks of today are pretty flimsy.......I owned one of the old recalled CVA's in 97 that had an awesome thumbhole stock that seemed bullet proof(might have been Kevlar)......when I returned it for the recall, I asked the gunshop if I could keep the stock and just replace the barrel, which I got a big NO....LOL All the technology today and our stocks look like toygun plastic......

well heres the inside picture.
DSCN1999.jpg

You can see CVA added strength to it with the posts. That area is fine, but directly under it, is where the stud pulled through. I dont see how i could strengthen that area, any ideas?

Its a bit of work, but you could dremel down the circle to accept a washer and nut......doesn't look like much clearance to do that though..... :scratch:

aviomech said:
Its a bit of work, but you could dremel down the circle to accept a washer and nut......doesn't look like much clearance to do that though..... :scratch:
I kinda like something along that idea. I might go a step further and take a washer-size, thick of metal and tap-thread it to accept the bolt. That way the nut and washer is one piece.

If you can find a way to make it work it would pay-off in the field.

Perhaps a Tee Nut with the 'ears' ground off could be used

41eRhFK0tlL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

or maybe something like this

410rd-tOIyL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

This one has a 10-24 thread

1/4-20 is a common size, and is available, if that would work.

Here are some 10-32 tee nut

Another possible option, is to move the swivel stud back, and beef up the forearm at this new spot to receive one of these Tee nuts, or a fender washer, and a nut.

Tee nut is a great idea. I was thinking the old farmer way weld a nut to a washer so the nut went in the hole supplyed and washer sets on top but tee nut does the same thing half the work. :D

Wally

Yeah that is a great idea. I looked at some today at the store but did not have my forearm screw with me for sizing it up.

FG that is a great group. Did you reload the ammo or was it factory? Sorry about your forearm, never seen any thing like that happen before, but you got some great input on how to fix it.

Carlos, that picture of the bipod with the centerfire barrel was just to show what bi pod i used. I used the .50cal muzzle loader barrel. So yeah, i re loaded the ammo :lol!:

You did a great job on your reloads and I thought you did not like to do it. Not many people con get there reloads to shoot that kind of group and the bergara barrel does help out a lot. My hat off to you :D
Carlos

Colorado said:
Any kind of warning with the bipod to not use in a plastic stock?

Why not call them up and ask them?

Give me the phone number, and i'll do it.
Excellent point you brought-up Old Timer on the Warning issue ;)

I added this Post link as an " UPDATE " at the end of my Review on this BiPod so that others don't end-up with a forearm like FG's. Hopefully FG will come up with a fix to his forearm which others might use to strengthen their stocks if they choose to use this BiPod.

p.s. I forwarded this Post to Vanguard.

Back