Accurate 250 gr and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
This post is specific to CVA Accura rifles with 250gr bullets and BH209 powder.

What has been your most consistently accurate loading, and what primer are you using?

In my V2 Accura the .45 cal 250grain XTP using a black crush rib Harvester sabot ahead of 77 weighed grains of the 209 powder was at its best accuracy wise. I use Winchester shot shell reloading primers. Shoots very clean, no blow back or stuck primers.

In my V2 Accura the .45 cal 250grain XTP using a black crush rib Harvester sabot ahead of 77 weighed grains of the 209 powder was at its best accuracy wise. I use Winchester shot shell reloading primers. Shoots very clean, no blow back or stuck primers.
Thanks!

I shoot the 250, as it is heavy enough to punch through and I can be shooting up to 200 yards. It is good to 100, but the trajectory becomes an issue after 100, so I use the 250 because it shoots a bit flatter.

We use the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets in our 3 Accuras, 2 with 2 pellets of T7 & 1 with BH209. Excellent results after several years or use.

290 grain barnes tmz, 120 of BH, & Winchester w209.....found I needed tight fitting bullet when using Magnum powder loads. I tried barnes 290 tez and had delays

My rifle does not start holding consistent groups until after 15-20 shots. Have experienced this oddity?

Ive rarely ever had a range session where i shoot more than 20 from one gun. If its barrel temp thats causing it, i would say you need tighter bullet/sabot.

Ive rarely ever had a range session where i shoot more than 20 from one gun. If its barrel temp thats causing it, i would say you need tighter bullet/sabot.
I generally have several rifles, so the barrel can cool. This week I had 3 MLs I was working with.

My rifle does not start holding consistent groups until after 15-20 shots. Have experienced this oddity?

Seems interesting, what rifle do you have?
Sorry, just looked and you have a Accura, what year?

My CVA Accura V2 is consistent with a clean barrel all the way through my range session. I will run a wet patch then a couple dry patches after every 6-8 shots and make sure the flash channel is clear while I’m at it.

Sounds like you might still be searching for the combo that works best with your barrel?

Last edited:

My CVA Accura V2 is consistent with a clean barrel all the way through my range session. I will run a wet patch then a couple dry patches after every 6-8 shots and make sure the flash channel is clear while I’m at it.

Sounds like you might still be searching for the combo that works best with your barrel?
Sub 1" groups. This year, that 1" is suddenly 5"! I was shooting 250 gr SST, MMP 3PEZ sabot, 100 gr BH209, CCI 209M, BH209 breechplug. I changed bullets and charge. Tried crush rib sabot. Not getting any change. Finally tried MMP HPH 12 sabot. 3 shots were a perfect 2 1/2" triangle. Hmmm. Went to the MMP HPH 24 (still with the 250gr SST). 3 shots and I had one hole, maybe 3/4". About a 5/8" center to center group. Rifles change with use. You just have to find the right combination. It is frustrating, expensive and time consuming, but doable. I trust my rifle to 200 yards.

The first Accura PR I bought as soon as they announced the PR, whenever that was. I bought another, identical, a year later. Last year, I bought an Optima V2 LR. They all shoot great. Rifles change with use. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm08. It shot sub 3/4" groups all day long. Suddenly, it was shooting 2" groups. I was ready to rebarrel, but changed from IMR 4064 to IMR 4350. I'm shooting 5/8" groups again.

290 grain barnes tmz, 120 of BH, & Winchester w209.....found I needed tight fitting bullet when using Magnum powder loads. I tried barnes 290 tez and had delays
I use the CCI 209 M + Federal 209A are the best. I also use the TC Yellow Sabots with the TEZ 290 touching holes at 100 yrds. W/ 100 of Black Horn 209. Shot a doe at 210 yrds.

I use the CCI 209 M + Federal 209A are the best. I also use the TC Yellow Sabots with the TEZ 290 touching holes at 100 yrds. W/ 100 of Black Horn 209. Shot a doe at 210 yrds.

The TC Super Glide yellow sabot (2 petal) is even smaller than the TEZ sabot. That will not improve his delays.

After trying numerous combinations, I finally fell into a good load. 100 gr BH209, CCI 209M, MMP HTH 24, 250 gr SST. When this rifle was new, it shot sub one inch groups with the same combo, but with the MMP 3PEZ sabot. Suddenly, it would not group. I tried differnt bullets and powder charges, all with the 3PEZ sabot. Finally I tried the black crush rib. No better. Then, I tried the MMP HPH 12 sabiotIt shot a perfect triangle 2 1/2", which was the best so far. So, I moved to the MMP HPH 24, and WOW! 3 bullets through one ragged hole! I made my scope adjustments and put it up. Tried it on a totally cold barrel, and it was dead center. I tried this load on my newer Accura PR, and had almost the same results. I, good to go.

Back